Easiest place to tap 12 volts to LED's

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Al Waters
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Gold Wing

Easiest place to tap 12 volts to LED's

Postby Al Waters » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:32 pm

The owner prior to me on my 2009 Gold Wing installed three LEDS in place of the reflector that goes on the back fender. I checked the lights with a remote 12 volt source and they work. I have LED running light trim that replaced the stock trim on the saddle bags. I can see where that wiring goes from the LEDS through the inside of the saddle bags and is duct taped inside so that it will stay out of the way. The three LEDS have the wring just hanging there on the inside of the fender. There is no where that looks obvious under the fender to connect the lights so that they work. I would imagine that I could tap in to the wiring of the saddlebag LED wiring but I figure that I would ask first out here. Any help would be appreciated to make this project simpler than what it looks like to me.

Thanks, Al Waters

Al Waters
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Gold Wing

Re: Easiest place to tap 12 volts to LED's

Postby Al Waters » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:41 pm

I figured it out. I didn't want to mess with the wiring boot harness behind the fender so I drilled a hole in to the bottom rear (covered by the saddlebag carpet kit) of the saddlebag and wire nutted the hot and ground wires to the existing run for the saddlebag trim lights.

Thanks, Al Waters

PS......... getting the fender off was a piece of cake. Not so putting it back on.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”