Towing a Trailer;- will it void my warranty?

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
nepadj
Motorcycle: 2012 gl1800

Towing a Trailer;- will it void my warranty?

Postby nepadj » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:46 am

I have a 2012 Goldwing and I am interested in buying a trailer. However I am concerned because I was told that installing a trailer hitch will VOID my warranty. Has anybody here dealt with this situation? Or are the dealers lenient when it comes to trailering with a new wing?? Can anybody give me suggestions on trailers & any hitches recommended for the 2012 Goldwing??
I SINCERELY appreciate ANY help you can give me on this subject...!

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Towing a Trailer;- will it void my warranty?

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:45 am

I think it would only void the warranty if towing the trailer was the direct cause of some type of part failure.

I don't put a whole lot of value on warranties myself. Most times they try to find ways around warranty claims.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

ka4cpo
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing 1800

Postby ka4cpo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:55 am

According to the warranty manual for 2012 and previous, I am posting the following information for you:

These Warranties Do Not Cover:
-the unauthorized alteration of any part
-the incorporation or use of unsuitable attachments or parts
-unsuitable use in an application for which the part was not designed
*Failures caused by or related to any modification not approved by American Honda

Now who is American Honda? A dealer, or whom? So beware, if you add the hitch, they could possibly void any part of your bike that breaks down - just because of the way it is written.

nepadj
Motorcycle: 2012 gl1800

Postby nepadj » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:56 am

Thank you for the prompt replies!...I sincerely appreciate ANY & ALL the information I can get!!! Does ANYONE have any input on motorcycle trailers "Open Road Outfitters" & or "Cailfornia Sidecars"? I am considering buying a trailer from their company, so far it looks like the most reputable company I have seen! Again I welcome ANY input if anybody out there in "wingworld" has had any dealings or experience with these companies & their product...

Ride safe !

Bouvier1
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl 1800A

Postby Bouvier1 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:12 am

If you want a tow hitch why not go to the dealer you bought the bike from and have them fit one.
At the price you have paid for the bike the cost of fitting would be negligeble also if there is any subsequent fault with the bike then you can always place the fault at the dealer as he 'should not fit' anything that is detrimental to the bike or causes a fault within the warranty. Anyway don't Honda recognise that the bike is used to tow things?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:41 am

This whole thing depends on your dealership. Some refuse to honor warranty if you tow, and some do not. My dealer says that they know almost all Wing riders tow, and they have no problem with it unless the problems are in the final drive or the rear suspension components. The also will not warranty a rear tire if you have a hitch on the bike, as it indicates the bike was loaded rear heavy. I would think they might be a bit sticky on tranny problems also, although they have not said so. I think, if I had these sorts of problems, I would remove my hitch and all wiring commensurate with towing before taking the bike in. What they think they know, and what they have visual proof of are two entirely different things.

Oh, and P.S.: You always have recourse above the dealerships decision directly to Honda America, or in my case The Honda God of Canada....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

ka4cpo
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing 1800

Postby ka4cpo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Don't trust Honda of America. They are out to pay as little from their pocket as possible. In other words, even if you have it done through an authorized agent (the dealer), Honda probably won't honor your warranty. See my post above about warranties.

st4r50
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500 crashed
2002 GL 1800A

Postby st4r50 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:35 pm

nepadj wrote:Thank you for the prompt replies!...I sincerely appreciate ANY & ALL the information I can get!!! Does ANYONE have any input on motorcycle trailers "Open Road Outfitters" & or "Cailfornia Sidecars"? I am considering buying a trailer from their company, so far it looks like the most reputable company I have seen! Again I welcome ANY input if anybody out there in "wingworld" has had any dealings or experience with these companies & their product...

Ride safe !

CSC makes the Escapade trailers and I'm happy to say they are made here in Virginia! I love these trailers. I have several friends who pull an Escapade and they all love them. I would certainly recommend them.

I don't know anything about Road Outfitters.
KG4USG

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:54 pm

My owners manual warns against towing a trailer! That's enough info for me!
Even though an authorized dealer may have sold you a trailer and installed the hitch-It does not mean you will still be covered for drive train related problems!
As more Wings are having the infamous "ghost shifing" and subsequent tranny failures, factory reps are making more visits to the dealers to "review" affected Wings. The presents of trailer hitches, heel/toe shifters, trike conversions have been determined to be suspect of causing tranny problems/failure and therefore warranty claims for such are in jepordy of being denied!
If you are concerned, don't give 'em a reason!

Return to “Camping and Trailers”