High engine heat 2009 GoldWing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
RoadDawg
Motorcycle: 2012 GoldWing Air Bag

High engine heat 2009 GoldWing

Postby RoadDawg » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:16 pm

I really need some advice on this topic please. Two weeks ago I brought my 2009 GoldWing into the dealer for some service (air filter change, brake fluid, coolant change etc). When I picked it up there was a very prominent smell of coolant which went away in a week but the engine is running really hot...the temp guage is fine and does not move, but the heat from the engine on my feet is oppressive when I am riding.

I brought it back to the dealer who did a pressure test on the cooling system and determined there was no leak of coolant. They also took a temp sensor gun and measured the output from the cylinder head cover at 118F and at the foot rest at 81-83F. They did not even ride the bike to determine if I was out of my mind and imagining things....very odd indeed. They did not have another GoldWing in stock to determine if this was normal and contacted Honda Tech line who were totally useless (they said I likely had the foot warmer doors open...geeeezzzzzzz).

Anyhow....would one of you happen to have a 2009 or similar and happen to have a heat sensor gun that you could use to give me a reading from your machine under normal operating conditions? I would be very grateful as the dealer and Honda themselves are saying there is nothing wrong but why are my feet roasting when I ride the bike?

There is a huge amount of heat output since the coolant change and nobody can figure out why. Might it be evaporating coolant on the engine due to a spill creating steam??? That might not be measurable with a temp sensing device?

I would really appreciate your help or guidance on this one as I am going around in circles with the dealer.

Thanks all.
Ken
Ottawa, Canada

WOJCIECH
Motorcycle: GL 1800 2009
GL 1800 2009 trike Redwing

Re: High engine heat 2009 GoldWing

Postby WOJCIECH » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:37 am

under the right storage is the radiator cap, maybe the system is not enough liquid? the alternator on the left is the inlet to the reservoir of compensatory, check the level! can the system is infected, fill fluids!

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:45 am

Most likely you have no coolant leak. Unless you have the patience of Job it is hard to put the new coolant in without having some overflow the neck and spill onto the right radiator. The left side is probably hotter because of the alternator on that side. The temp. readings they got don't sound hot to me but I am no expert. However if your '09 is like mine the foot and leg warmer vents make no difference. They are a joke. Usless as teats on a boar hog.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:11 pm

Red Ron wrote: However if your '09 is like mine the foot and leg warmer vents make no difference. They are a joke. Usless as teats on a boar hog.

They make a big difference in the spring and fall up here in the Great White Nawth. Without them all my life, I had cold, frozen feet riding in our climate, but with this wing thing, my feet last a whole lot longer. Now the useless side is summertime, and I have to fully agree with you there. These friggin things need a shunt, to send the heat down a pipe to exit just behind the passengers foot position.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

RoadDawg
Motorcycle: 2012 GoldWing Air Bag

Postby RoadDawg » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:52 pm

WOJCIECH wrote:under the right storage is the radiator cap, maybe the system is not enough liquid? the alternator on the left is the inlet to the reservoir of compensatory, check the level! can the system is infected, fill fluids!

The dealer just changed all of the coolant and the level has been checked twice. As mentioned, the temp guage remains constant so in some ways, the engine is not over heating but it sure is giving off a lot of heat. Odd.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”