On board GPS Navigation system question

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800 ABS, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1986 VFR 700

On board GPS Navigation system question

Postby motorhead1977 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Is it possible to upload a route to the on board 2009 navigation system? We are going on a ride with a preplanned route and it occurred to me that it would be great if I could upload the route to the on board navi system like I can with a Garmin or other portable navi system. If it can be done how do I do it. I read the Navigation system manual and didn't see instructions there. Thanks.

"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: On board GPS Navigation system question

Postby themainviking » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:48 am

Sorry, no. This did not become available till the 2012 model.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

motorhead1977

Postby motorhead1977 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:54 am

themainviking wrote:Sorry, no. This did not become available till the 2012 model.

Is it possible to upgrade then? Of course anything is possible with the application of the correct amount of money but I am wondering about at an "ordinary guy" price? :-)
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:00 am

motorhead1977 wrote:
themainviking wrote:Sorry, no. This did not become available till the 2012 model.

Is it possible to upgrade then? Of course anything is possible with the application of the correct amount of money but I am wondering about at an "ordinary guy" price? :-)

You would need to buy everything, as even the display is different. The cost would be prohibitive. I am not certain the 2012 display would even read the rest of the bikes information, either. Everything is probably firmware, but it is too complicated for me to figure out. Better, in my mind, to just buy a Garmin Zumo and get the best of all worlds, if you need to preplan your routes.

ImageImage

motorhead1977

Postby motorhead1977 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:17 am

themainviking wrote:
motorhead1977 wrote:

You would need to buy everything, as even the display is different. The cost would be prohibitive. I am not certain the 2012 display would even read the rest of the bikes information, either. Everything is probably firmware, but it is too complicated for me to figure out. Better, in my mind, to just buy a Garmin Zumo and get the best of all worlds, if you need to preplan your routes.

Ahhh, just as I feared. When we go on these preplanned route rides I'll just take the time to manually enter everything. Thanks!

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:23 am

Or buy an add on GPS and chalk up the OEM Nav unit as a total waste of $$$$$$$$$$$$'s!
Along w/the heated seat, that doesn't in cold weather!

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:36 am

tfdeputydawg wrote:Or buy an add on GPS and chalk up the OEM Nav unit as a total waste of $$$$$$$$$$$$'s!
Along w/the heated seat, that doesn't in cold weather!

My wife says that my stock seat heated well for her, and I felt heat, riding in the fall. I have a Ultimate custom seat on there now, and it heats as well. We have some pretty cool spring and fall days, and there has always been enough heat. I suspect you may have something wrong with your heating system, dawg. Is that possible? And my take on the OEM Navi unit is that it is a very simple unit for simple A to B directionals. VERY overpriced for what it does. It, however, cannot be stolen off the bike without drastic measures, so it does have it's one good point.

ImageImage

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:59 am

Nothing wrong w/my seat. When you dress for cold/winter weather, the seat is not hot enough to penetrate my riding suit. Yes, my wife feels it in early spring/fall but, I don't need it then!

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:36 am

tfdeputydawg wrote:Nothing wrong w/my seat. When you dress for cold/winter weather, the seat is not hot enough to penetrate my riding suit. Yes, my wife feels it in early spring/fall but, I don't need it then!

Sorry, dawg. I misunderstood. You must ride in the winter. They throw salt on our roads at the first sign of a frost and keep at it till mid April, so it needs to get really warm to tempt me into riding. Warm enough that I can really give the bike a good washdown afterwards.

ImageImage

WOJCIECH
Motorcycle: GL 1800 2009
GL 1800 2009 trike Redwing

Postby WOJCIECH » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:32 pm

I have the 2009 model, you can enter a route to, and through selected places, you can save the destination, and you can call them as you want! For example, Dad, Mom, what do you want?

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:33 am

WOJCIECH wrote:I have the 2009 model, you can enter a route to, and through selected places, you can save the destination, and you can call them as you want! For example, Dad, Mom, what do you want?

Yes, we can all do that. What we are saying we cannot do is preplan routes on a computer and then transfer them to the motorcycles Navi unit.

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”