Tire wear and suggestions.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
sluggo

Tire wear and suggestions.

Postby sluggo » Thu May 14, 2009 4:51 pm

I have a 2008 1800 with all the extras and have about 11,000 miles on it. How many miles is average before a tire change.? I'm getting ready for a trip from Florida to Kentucky and am wonderning if I should do a change or not. If I do need to replace them , does anyone have recomandations to brand? I have had no problems with the orginals but I know they put on the cheapest tires they can get to make more profit on the bike.Thanks

upssnowman

Re: Tire wear and suggestions.

Postby upssnowman » Thu May 14, 2009 9:13 pm

Sounds like your on the way to doing well with 11K on the original most floks don't get that much
I check my tires every ride so I do pretty well about 19K out of the last 3 sets of tires
most people only get 8-12K and there shot, it really depends where you live also some states the road surface is much rougher then others, I now live in Va. and also's in the twisties so my tires will not last as long here as they did in IL.
recommendations wow lots of ideas here I talked to quite a few folks last ime around, I usually always ran dunlops
but now hava a set I'm VERY happy with I was told from lots of expermination it was a good way to go and now agree
Brigstone 709 on the front , and the Avon Cobra rear, or the Venom-r cobra by AVon was made just for this bike
this pair grips very nice wet or dry
run your rear air about 41 if loaded heavy or two up run 43, I ran 41 front on the dunlops but this Brigstone likes the recommended 36 better , and no cupping

just my 2 cents
congrad's on the new ride and fun on the trip sounds nice
Fl. to KY.?? if your on the Blue Ridge Parkway stop by 150.7 in Va.brick house

sluggo

Postby sluggo » Fri May 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I may just go ahead and change them for the trip. I have had Avons on my V-Max and really liked them.

upssnowman

Postby upssnowman » Sat May 16, 2009 8:04 am

Sorry I typed wrong the Avon-Cobra was made just for the wing and Venom R has been around for a while

garlet
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Postby garlet » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:39 pm

I ride in SoCal where roads are pretty rough. The group I ride with is fairly aggressive and we love the twisties. We have used all the different brands and the results are pretty uniform, just a matter of personal opinion I guess. We get as low as 8K but not more than 11k, we always ride at 41psi.

rob97989
Motorcycle: 2009 1800 Goldwingw/ABS

Postby rob97989 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:39 am

Sluggo - 11,000 to 12,000 miles is very good. One thing to remember with any brand of tire is that the last 1500, 2000 miles seem to wear very fast. If planning a trip like yours, I would really consider putting on a new set. I prefer running Metzlers for curve "sticking" and good rain grip but am going to the "Darkside" on my next set (auto tire for the rear). BTW, I have a 2009 purchased in Dec 2008, was headed for Sturgis so I took off a set of Dunlops, with 7,000 miles and replaced with Metzlers for the trip. To me, the Dunlops are always chasing the road and don't feel as though they have good grip in the twisties. You will get a lot of opinions on this subject.
Good luck and have a good trip.
Goldwing - Great carrier of Chrome and stuff!

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:51 pm

I started out buying the bridgestones that the bike calls for instead of the dunlops they come with; I liked them, but I was going through them too fast; I replaced my rear with a Dunlop 175/60R16 runflat car tire (Dunlop Wintersport); it handles like a bike tire (its narrower than the conventional car tire most people use, a 195) and I've got around 9k miles on it and it still looks brand new :)

ltcwm
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby ltcwm » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:36 pm

26000 on Dunlop E3 front
19000 on Dunlop E3 rear from a VTX rear on GL1800
I ride 3 miles of dirt/gravel road each way just to make any round trip. I now have an automotive rear tire. with 16000+ miles and a Bridgestone front with 11000 miles which looks better than the E3 at the same mileage.

IBAARK
Motorcycle: 2007 GoldWing

Postby IBAARK » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:42 pm

I've got a 2007 GW with 78,000 miles on it. It came with the original Dunlop's. I got 10,000 with those. I went to Metzeler's for the 2nd set. I got 8,000-12,000. My 3rd set was the Dunlop Elite III's for another 10,000. I have used the Metzeler's ever since. My current set has 12,000 and I might get another 1-2,000 on those. It's a personal choice and I have always felt safer with the Metzeler 880's. Generally, I am getting new tires when they are 75% used and that is long before the wear bar shows.

IBAARK

rob97989
Motorcycle: 2009 1800 Goldwingw/ABS

Postby rob97989 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:46 am

Sluggo - What IBAARK said if very important. Watch the wear marks and get a new set before they get to the wear marks. The last 1-2,000 miles you could scratch out of the tire are not worth the possiblility of a tire failure on thin tires.
If you are not familiar with wear marks, they are lines which cross the depth of the tread. When the tread is level with the wear mark, replace them.
Goldwing - Great carrier of Chrome and stuff!

contrafla

Postby contrafla » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:05 am

I just replaced a set of Elite 3s on my GL1800. I got 19,600 miles on the last set. After 2000 miles I switched from Air to Nitrogen. I immediately noticed that my tires were running MUCH cooler and the pressure did not fluctuate as much as it did with air. It was much easier to recognize when the pressure was low, which helped me keep the correct pressure in the tires (36PSI front 41PSI rear) except when pulling a trailer (added 2PSI to each tire). I live in Florida so I don't get to ride the twisties every day (just when I get a chance to head north to GA,TN or NC) and I try to stay out of the stop and go traffic. Our roads do get Very Hot during the summer which tends to add a little wear. I'm not saying that everyone will get the same result, this is just my story, however I do know that those of us that run Nitrogen and keep the correct pressure do seem to get quite a bit more mileage out of our rubber.

life is not a journey to the grave with the intent of arriving in a well preserved body, rather to Skid in Broadside, totally exhaused, thoroughly used up yelling "Wow What A Ride".

IBAARK

Postby IBAARK » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:14 am

I do know that those of us that run Nitrogen and keep the correct pressure do seem to get quite a bit more mileage out of our rubber.

I would be curious to hear more about using Nitrogen. Also, where do you fill-up?

Thanks,

John
IBAARK

contrafla

Postby contrafla » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:38 pm

In West Central Florida we have several locations that furnish Nitrogen. Some of the Auto Dealers and at least one of the Goodyear Tire Stores has it available. It cost me $7.00 per tire to remove all of the air (oxygen) from the tire and then fill it with nitrogen. After that all I have to do is stop in at any of the locations that supply it and they will check my tires and make adjustments without charge. Besides checking the pressure with a gauge you can also tell when they are low by the way the bike handles or when the tires are hot to the touch after a few miles.
At many of the bikefests there is usually a vendor or two that will convert your tires for you, then you just have to find a place to top off as need be. When the tires are converted to nitro the stem cap is changed to a light green to indicate the presence of nitrogen.
If you get in an area and don't know where to find the nitro and you need to top the tires off, you may add some air but I highly recommend that when you get a chance, you go ahead and pay the $7.00 to bleed the air out of them and return them to full nitrogen molecules. Notrogen molecules are much larger than oxygen, hence the reason the nitro tires to not fluctuate much with a change in the weather or after sitting in the garage for awhile like air filled tires. They also allow your tires to run MUCH cooler than oxygen and I believe that is the reason the rubber lasts much longer.
Hope this helps. Ride safe and remember; Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to Skid in Broadside, thoroughly used up, totally exhaused yellin' "Wow What a Ride"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:04 pm

Just a slight reminder that the normal air we breathe is already 78% nitrogen.

contrafla

Postby contrafla » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:52 am

True enough. At sea-level, the air we breathe is composed of approximately 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and 1% other gases. A Nitrogen Generator system used to fill tires with pure Nitrogen works by filtering ambient air through a semi-permeable membrane to separate Nitrogen from ambient air. There are no tanks of liquid Nitrogen required.

Ingersoll Rand claims that there are several distinct advantages to filling your tires with Nitrogen:

•Better air pressure retention -- Nitrogen doesn't seep out through the tire walls like Oxygen can, so tires remain fully inflated longer.
•Enhanced fuel economy -- Nitrogen dissipates heat faster than air, and heat causes rolling resistance. "Maintaining tire pressure can boost fuel economy by as much as 6 percent."
•Longer tread life -- Filling your tires with pure Nitrogen makes tires run cooler, which will reduce tire failure. It also prevents oxidation, which can cause tread separation and belt failure. Since Nitrogen doesn't carry moisture, it won't cause rust on the inside of rims and valve stems.
•Slow chemical aging -- "Filling a tire with Nitrogen also significantly slows the chemical aging process of the tire's rubber components."
For those that are game, I suggest you give it a try and if you don't think the benefits are worth the expense you can very easily return to compressed air.

IBAARK

Postby IBAARK » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:20 pm

?

Would living in a cold climate (Colorado) have any effect on Nitrogen causing the tires not to heat up enough for good traction?
I understand tires don't really get a good grip until the temp is 40 degrees.

John
IBAARK

contrafla

Postby contrafla » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:51 pm

IBAARK, I don't have the answer for that question. i live in Florida and don't ride in the cold weather anymore. When I lived in Delaware and worked in Philla, I rode a bike every work day snow, ice, rain or whatever, but in the 1970s Nitrogen was not an option.

Maybe someone else on the blog has experience in the colder weather. I'm pretty sure the tires would get over 40 degree but again I don't have the experience in your weather with nitrogen.

Good luck and Ride Safe.

Digitalsaw
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Postby Digitalsaw » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:56 pm

I have a question about the Dunlop 175/60R16 runflat car tire. Will those fit on the older wings like my 1986?

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:41 am

sluggo wrote:I have a 2008 1800 with all the extras and have about 11,000 miles on it. How many miles is average before a tire change.? I'm getting ready for a trip from Florida to Kentucky and am wonderning if I should do a change or not. If I do need to replace them , does anyone have recomandations to brand? I have had no problems with the orginals but I know they put on the cheapest tires they can get to make more profit on the bike.Thanks

What a coincedence. I live in KY and am getting ready to ride to FL. I also have an '08. I got about 16K on the orginal "Dunflops". I then put a Bridgestone 709 on the front and a car tire on the rear as some here have indicated. It was a Falken 912 size 195X55X16. It and the stone on the front lasted about 18K. I put another stone on the front and now have a general G-Max car tire on the rear which I like better than the Falken, and I really liked the Falken. I expect this back tire to do about 30K.

What part of FL do you hail from. I own a house in Edgewater.

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:14 pm

Their are a lot of good points brought forward in regards to the different tires available. A lot I might add are the same passed on to me by 1800 riders in my area.

IMHO tire wear depends the driving conditions, 1 or two up, towing a trailer, highway or city driving and how we ride (acceleration, braking etc). With my 2000 Valkyrie, I replaced the OEM tires with E2's and then went to the E3's. With these I run 40 PSI front and rear and manage to get 30K KM's from a set.

With my 09 GW, I run 41 PSI front and rear on the OEM D250's. I also installed a fork brace and Centramatic balancers. With the Centramatic's this as claimed really stopped the infamous cupping which I always experience on my Valkyrie. I have to say these have also extended the tire life on the GW OEM D250's. If you want to read more about these, take a look at the product review comments at the link below. Some of the mileage gains posted which also contains their use with various tire brands is pretty interesting.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/16_featured_gl1800_accessories/29204_stainless_centramatic_goldwing_wheel_balancers/

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:26 am

dragon2000 wrote:Their are a lot of good points brought forward in regards to the different tires available. A lot I might add are the same passed on to me by 1800 riders in my area.

IMHO tire wear depends the driving conditions, 1 or two up, towing a trailer, highway or city driving and how we ride (acceleration, braking etc). With my 2000 Valkyrie, I replaced the OEM tires with E2's and then went to the E3's. With these I run 40 PSI front and rear and manage to get 30K KM's from a set.

With my 09 GW, I run 41 PSI front and rear on the OEM D250's. I also installed a fork brace and Centramatic balancers. With the Centramatic's this as claimed really stopped the infamous cupping which I always experience on my Valkyrie. I have to say these have also extended the tire life on the GW OEM D250's. If you want to read more about these, take a look at the product review comments at the link below. Some of the mileage gains posted which also contains their use with various tire brands is pretty interesting.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/16_featured_gl1800_accessories/29204_stainless_centramatic_goldwing_wheel_balancers/

Steve

I agree with the comment about the Centramatic balancers. I have a 2009 GL1800 that I installed the balancers at 6600 miles and replaced the Dunlop D250's at 19,800 miles and they still had a couple thousand miles left on them. Only replaced them because I was on a trip to Wing Ding, where I did the change, and left there for New Hampshire and Maine. Almost 3700 mile in all and I did not want to have trouble with tires. I run two up with a trailer a good portion of the time.
I installed Bridgestones this time and use nitrogen in them. I really like them so far but I do have to wait to see what mileage I get out of them.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

DonForget
Motorcycle: 2008 Gl1800HPNAM ABS
Triked Roadsmith

Postby DonForget » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:36 pm

Has anyone tried the " Counteract Balancing Beads." Go to counteractbalancing.com and get the picture on balancing effect@ minimal cost. I noticed my front tire on my trike was getting out of balance, removed the weights and installed the beads, works great.
Attachments
" Be strong and courageous;do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:57 pm

I've had real good luck with the Metzelers ME 880 Sally

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:50 am

These Counteracts are the same thing as the Dyna Beads.

I have them in my Valyrie Tires and they work great. They do though do not recommend using them if you have the TP System on your ride. This was the reason I went with the Centramatic's which to date have extended the tire life on my GW OEM D250's.

http://www.counteractbalancing.com/counteract/news-updates/motorcycle.html
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:15 am

dragon2000 wrote:These Counteracts are the same thing as the Dyna Beads.

I have them in my Valyrie Tires and they work great. They do though do not recommend using them if you have the TP System on your ride. This was the reason I went with the Centramatic's which to date have extended the tire life on my GW OEM D250's.

http://www.counteractbalancing.com/counteract/news-updates/motorcycle.html

You are right about the beads. Of course with the centramatic balancers some do not know they are only made for the GL1800 in the Goldwing model.
I put them (Centramatic's) on my 2009 GL1800 at 6600 miles and took the OEM D250 Dunlops to 19,800 miles and they still had a couple of thousand miles left in them but I was on a long trip after Wing Ding Knoxville and the price was great for new Bridgestones $279 installed, compared to current price (WingStuff VIP) without installation of $301.65. I love them, both the tires and the Centramatic's.

"Love to ride and ride to love"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”