Rear brakes problem 2004 Goldwing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
dorseyaa
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800 Honda Goldwing

Rear brakes problem 2004 Goldwing

Postby dorseyaa » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:24 am

Just changed the rear pads on my 2004 Goldwing and it just feels like I have metal to metal. Did a lot of bleeding from front to rear. The caliper seems to be working fine. Anyone out there with this problem?

Bouvier1
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl 1800A

Re: Rear brakes problem 2004 Goldwing

Postby Bouvier1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:36 am

Initially I would check for grit that has fallen into the pad when you changed them, however you should not get a 'metal to metal' sound when you have replaced the pads. Did you replace the fronts as well? Don't forget that the front left and rear brakes work together and therefore you may need to change the front pad. I would recommend always changing all pads (even the right front) at the same time at least then you know you don't have to worry for a while.

dorseyaa
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800 Honda Goldwing

Postby dorseyaa » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks. I'll pull those roter guards off today and see whats going on with that, but the feel is certainly at the back roter. Thought about replacing the roter until I measured it with a mic. Min. thickness is 10mm, I have 10.71. I looked at my maintenance log and notice that I changed both front and rear brakes only 5,564 mile ago. Brake pads cost $126.00 a set. The sound is like a metal to metal but the feel is more like a skip or not full contact with the roter when the brakes are applied. The front brakes are perfect, NO problem there.

Bouvier1
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl 1800A

Postby Bouvier1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:44 am

If you are not getting full contact with both pads then your old ones should show you ie more wear on one side. I would suggest that you clean and grease the pins that the brake slides back and forth on. One is secure on the caliper bracket and the other on the body of the brake block (they fit into a rubber boot on opposing items). If they have dried out over time this would prevent easy movement of the brake when being applied it could be those that are creating the 'metal to metal' noise. If the pistons are working and the pads are new that is the only explanation I can think of. Just to be on the safe side I would run my hand over the brake disc (rotor) turning it as you do so. You will either feel a smooth surface or rippled if it is the latter than it is in need of change.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”