Drag Hwy Pegs And Boards?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Northstream
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Navi
1985 1200 V-Max

Drag Hwy Pegs And Boards?

Postby Northstream » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Hey all, who has the Kuryakyn Ergo II Cruise Mounts with ISO Wing and/or the heel toe shifter with boards? I am considering both to aid my old body on my longer rides that my GL1800 entices me to. I am concerned with dragging in turns or other potential problems you might have encountered.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Drag Hwy Pegs And Boards?

Postby themainviking » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:51 pm

I had the Ergo II Boards, and have all three arm sets. The six inch were best for me, as I am short compared to some. Yes, I drag the boards, but I ride aggressively. Sooo, I took the boards off, got some clevis adapters and some male harley style mount Ergo pegs and fitted them on the six inch arms and although I can drag them, by the time I do, I am also dragging my regular footpegs. As far as floorboards with heel toe shifter, I also tried these, but with a 30" inseam, I had a heck of a time getting my feet to the ground without banging my ankles on the outside of the boards. I tried new positions like with my legs behind the boards, but found it too uncomfortable for me. I have friends with no more reach than I, and they love their floorboards, but they have become comfortable with their legs in between the floor boards and the passenger boards when standing still.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Northstream
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Navi
1985 1200 V-Max

Postby Northstream » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:04 pm

I too have the short leg syndrome [30" inseam] so the foot placement while stopped may be an issue with the gimpy knee. I don't drag my footpegs so that might indicate no clearance issues with hwy pegs mounted on the forward crash bars. the heel/toe shifter looked so cool 8-)

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:17 am

You do realize that the heel/toe shifter is available separately, right? Not the same without boards, I know, but Honda does not put their controls far enough forward to be conducive to floorboards.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

rufus15
Motorcycle: 2012 level 3 goldwing

Postby rufus15 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 am

I own a 2012 Blue level III (fastest color) and I have a 29-30" inseam depending on the time of day and had the same dilemma. I bought the new Comfort Controls by Roadsmith that moved the pegs forward 3" down 1". that allowed me to put on Kury heel toe shifter boards as well kurry ergo II highway pegs with 6" arms . this took care of stops and putting legs down at stops. I can still get to kick stand without an extension needed for most board applications.
I'm not an aggressive rider in the twisties and that was a big concern for both, but so far with one trip to the GA. mountains only one slight scrape I ride in comfort and will stick with them. I hope this helps, good luck. ride safe.
Attachments

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”