starting issues

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
metalman51
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500I Interstate

starting issues

Postby metalman51 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:41 am

Hello everyone, I have a GL1500I that just clicks. It just turned 50k miles,been running great up to my attempt to ride yesterday.I pushed the starter button, it turned a partial revolution and stopped,I attempted to start it again and it just clicked. Charged the battery to full and it still clicks. Any suggestions as to what could be a common gremlin?

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Re: starting issues

Postby Bamaeagle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:32 am

How old is your battery?

I would take the battery out and take it to an automotive parts house to have it tested. Most of them do this for free. You may need a new battery.
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

SKMURDOCK
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby SKMURDOCK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:53 am

The clicking sounds like a solenoid/relay issue. At least that is how my 1200 acted earlier this year. Click, but no turning the starter. A quick test for that is to jump across the two large poles on the soleniod, with the key turned on. If the starter engages, that is your problem. Find a replacement, and away you should go.

Good luck

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:53 am

I agree, sounds like a dead battery. Even a dead battery will "charge" to "full" but won't have the ability to supply the current to crank the engine.

Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and look at the voltage when you press the starter. If it dips down below 10 volts, the battery is likely history.

Lucky Buzzard
Motorcycle: 2007 Goldwing GL1800

Postby Lucky Buzzard » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:16 am

Good morning. Ok, I have a slight problem. For the last week or so, when I start my bike, it was hit or miss but it did start after a couple of times hitting the start button. Ok, battery might be a little discharged. Charged it up and was fine. Then happened again. Left it on charger and started up fine. Ok. Here's what's been going on. Turn the key, all lights are strong, radio plays, if kicks on and everything is operational. Hit the starter and it engages for a second or two then the ratchet sound comes on. Battery is good and strong so I know that's not it. Retightened up connections and it's good. I went for a ride, started up, everything's fine. Got gas and started it up. The station is maybe about a mile. Didn't think about it. Was cruising, enjoying the weather and ride. Time for gas again. Put in non ethenal like I always try to do. Went to start bike, nothing. Engaged for a second or two then the ratchet sound. A gentleman was nice enough to help me push start it, kicked over and purred. Ok, great. Had to go home. Ran fine on the way home, everything worked just dandy. Turned off key, let it sit while I took off my equipment. Tried to start it again, nothing. Frustrated, left it over night in garage and searched what it could be. Changing the starter is a big deal. Found out it could be the solenoid so researched that. No big deal. First start cold, started like a champion. Restarted it a couple of times and purred. Warmed it up till the fan comes on. Same thing, ratchet sounds. Ok, I have a sound file of what it sounds like but I can't attach it. I can email it if you want to hear it. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:30 pm

Without hearing the noise, I wonder if you've got a broken tooth or two in the starter? Can you identify where exactly the noise is coming from? Maybe take a video of it with your phone and post it to Youtube, which you can then link on here?

Lucky Buzzard

Postby Lucky Buzzard » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:47 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Without hearing the noise, I wonder if you've got a broken tooth or two in the starter? Can you identify where exactly the noise is coming from? Maybe take a video of it with your phone and post it to Youtube, which you can then link on here?

I'm at work right now but on Sunday I can try to replicate it again. The noise or sound is coming from under the seat. Its only one sound of ratcheting and not a pair. It doesn't sound like its under the bike.

slickster
Motorcycle: 05 gl1800

Postby slickster » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:46 pm

Clean you battery terminals first....

Lucky Buzzard

Postby Lucky Buzzard » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:35 am

Battery terminals are clean, free of debris and build up. Also made sure the cables are tight.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:06 am

My money is on your battery being shot.I'm guessing the ratcheting sound is the starter relay bouncing because the battery is weak.The battery needs to be properly tested first and if it is OK(which I doubt)then you might need to get under the fuel tank to access the main ground there.It's a fairly known issue on the 18's.Most people get into a starter issue and they just look at the feed side of the circuit and ignore the ground side.It'S JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THE FEED SIDE.

If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”