Behind the fairing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
trikeman II
Motorcycle: Honda 2002 GL 1800 Goldwing Trike w/ 2012 Motortrike Conversion kit.
Independent Susp.

Behind the fairing

Postby trikeman II » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:14 pm

I just installed new low beam lights in my 2002 GL1800, while I was installing the lights, I noticed that there were two Light Adjusting Units, one for L and R low beam lights and also a Beam Adjustment Screw. I have an auto beam adjuster knob on the left fairing panal, but I still need to set the lights beams up higher, can this be down with the Adjustment Units and the Beam Adjustment Screw? If so HOW?

I welcome all ideas...

trikeman II

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Behind the fairing

Postby tfdeputydawg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:10 am

HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE
Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed from under the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!

trikeman II
Motorcycle: Honda 2002 GL 1800 Goldwing Trike w/ 2012 Motortrike Conversion kit.
Independent Susp.

Re: Behind the fairing

Postby trikeman II » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks tfdeputydawg;

I was able to install the new lights and adjust them just as the article stated that you sent me.
Thanks Again and Safe Riding to you....
trikeman II

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”