RADIATOR FANS INOPERATIVE

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
pietvlieg
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

RADIATOR FANS INOPERATIVE

Postby pietvlieg » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Please help!! My 2006 Goldwing cooling 1800 fans are inoperative. In city trafic the bike tend to overheat. I studied the 2001 manual, trouble shooting, on the fans and decided on replacing the enjine coolant temperature sensor (ECT) without success. Because there's a differance in wiring and wire colours and the position of relays between the 2001 and 2006 models, its quite difficult to trace the culprit. If someone maybe have a 2006 manual and can perhaps publish the TROUBLESHOOTING on the fans, so I can try to sort it out. Thanks PIET VLIEG.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: RADIATOR FANS INOPERATIVE

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:08 pm

I haven't got a 2006 manual, but the first thing I would try is to check the fuse for the fans. If the fuse is OK, swap the fan control relay with another known good relay. That will tell you if the relay is bad. If the fans still don't operate with a good relay in the fan control relay slot, get a voltmeter out and check the fan control relay socket:

1. Looking at the diagram, with the ignition ON, insert a wire between contacts number 1 and 2 on the relay socket. Determine if the fans come on when you do this. If the fans come on, go to step 2. If the fans do not come on, go to step 4.

2. Run the engine until the engine is hot, and the fans should be running. Using a multimeter, check the voltage between contacts number 3 and 4 on the relay socket. You should measure 12 volts when the ECU is calling for the fans to come on.

3. If you measured 12 volts in step 2, and the fans came on in step 3, then there is a problem with the relay. If you did not measure 12 volts in step 2, there is a problem with the ECU, wiring between the ECU and the relay, or with the temperature sensor or its wiring.

4. If the fans do not come on in step 1, there is a problem with the fuse or the wiring between either the fuse and the relay, or the relay and the fans. There could also be a problem with the ground from the fans. At the fans, locate the green wire at the connector. Run a jumper wire from this green wire to a known good ground (i.e. frame, engine block, battery negative terminal). If this fixes the problem, then the problem is a bad ground.

pietvlieg
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Re: RADIATOR FANS INOPERATIVE

Postby pietvlieg » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:36 am

As far as the fans is concerned, I checked and came as far as point no 2. The fans do come on if I bridge those two points. But if the enjine is hot and the ECU is suppose to call the fans to come on.. nothing happens. With other words either the ECU is stuffed or there is a broken connection between ECU and the relays. There I suppose I will have to stop because I dont (colour wise) know where to find that same wire at the ECU. Most probability the colour will change as well.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”