CB nightmare help!!!

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
alleycat1
Motorcycle: GL1800 2012

CB nightmare help!!!

Postby alleycat1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:19 pm

Hi there, Just installed the antenna and CB kit came today so I put that in, can't get any readout on the dash saying it's been recognised, didn't have a PTT button so ordered that, what on earth am I going to need next and what am I missing if anything to get this darn thing to work. Any help and assistance will be greatly appreciated. It's a 2012 1800 UK spec.
Many thanks in anticipation
Allan D
United Kingdom

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: CB nightmare help!!!

Postby themainviking » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:27 am

Probably a silly question, but did you press the Audio button and then the CB button to turn both on?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

alleycat1
Motorcycle: GL1800 2012

Postby alleycat1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Haha, now this is where it gets interesting, being a UK spec, it does not have a cb button, it has a pty button in its place, this gives you the name of the radio staion you are tuned into and its genre, country, pop, etc. The manual doesn't give me any help at all so i am a bit lost. Also the 3 buttons on the handlebar top have other functions for the normal radio as well, traffic alert, news interrupt function and af, alternative frequencies.
I did try the audio and then the pty which is in the same position as your cb button, I am thinking there has to be some drastic wiring changes to be made somewhere along the loom.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:39 pm

It sounds as if your bike is not designed to be fitted with a CB radio. You did mention that you had to order the push to talk switch, so, presumably your' bike was not equipped with one, although the wiring may be there. I am sorry I cannot offer any further assistance. If it was me, I would be at a UK Honda Motorcycle Dealership, investigating this possibility.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

zalesjak
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 Goldwing, Airbag

Postby zalesjak » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi,

there is a difference between US an EU models using CB radio. On the top of left handlebar switch blok US models have CB station commands while EU models have commands for the RDS radio functions. US models also have PTT switch behind the left switch blok that you can manage with pointer finger while EU models don't have.

I'm not very shure there is a possibility to control CB station by handlebar commands on EU Goldwing.

Ride safe.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”