Engine coolant change.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
gliskey
Motorcycle: 2001 honda gold wing

Engine coolant change.

Postby gliskey » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:59 am

I have a 2001 Wing which I bought used recently. It has 29k miles and I would like to change the engine coolant. I did an oil/filter change and changed the rear diff oil.

The coolant change seems to be much more involved for my limited mechanical abilities. Any tricks to flushing out the old and in with the new?????

At this milage, anything else need to be looked at? The bike runs flawlessly and just want to keep it that way. Is there an easy way to check brake pad wear, fuel filter?????

I know if I take this all to Honda I'll probably have to leave them my wallet.........

Thanks !!!!!

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Re: Engine coolant change.

Postby Sally » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:08 pm

LET ME LOOK AGAIN I KNOW WHEN I DID MY 02 IT WAS VERY EASY.There is no fuel filter is a screen in the tank don't worry about that.Take a mirror and light to brake pads there are wear slots in them you can tell and anit freeze seems like you just drain 3 qts out bottom and refill with new under right dash pocket. Even if you did it twice to make sure it's still cheaper.I look it all up SALLY :lol:

gliskey

Postby gliskey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks much. I bought the Clayton, Clyde (something like that. don't have it in front of me) manual and looked up the coolant deal. I seemed like several things had to be taken apart. I got scared and didn't finish reading it. Anyway, I will dive into it all.

Thanks again for you reply !

Have a Great Christmas.........

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:24 am

Coolant change is easy. Take out left pocket to get to the radiator cap and take it off. I didn't take any of the leads loose from the pocket as some do. It can just hang out of the way. Take the plug loose and and drain the system. Should be about a gallon. Whatever product you use be sure it is silicate free. If you mix with water yourself be sure to use distilled water. You will probably have to start the engine and blip the throttle 5 or 6 times to burp the system to completely fill. When filling go very, very, slowly or you will smell it for a week. After a few days of riding, take the left pocket out and take the cap off and see if it needs to be topped off. Do all work with bike on centerstand.

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:55 am

If you dont have airwings all you need is the trim strip off and the pocket out. The cowl doesnt need to come off either. When you pour the antifreeze make sure you have some towels wrapped around the neck in case it spills or else when it gets on the radiator and on the engine or youll smell it for quite awhile. If you go to a Honda car dealer they sell the longlife antifreeze thats premixed and its cheaper than the Honda bike stuff. And also dont forget to drain and refill your overflow bottle behind the left engine sidecover. Take your time and youll be surprised that Clymer made it sound worse than it is.

rec45
Motorcycle: 2007 1800 ABS

Postby rec45 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Red Ron wrote:Coolant change is easy. Take out left pocket to get to the radiator cap and take it off. I didn't take any of the leads loose from the pocket as some do. It can just hang out of the way. Take the plug loose and and drain the system. Should be about a gallon. Whatever product you use be sure it is silicate free. If you mix with water yourself be sure to use distilled water. You will probably have to start the engine and blip the throttle 5 or 6 times to burp the system to completely fill. When filling go very, very, slowly or you will smell it for a week. After a few days of riding, take the left pocket out and take the cap off and see if it needs to be topped off. Do all work with bike on centerstand.

The radiator cap is under the RIGHT pocket.
Ron
2007 ABS

Ghostman

Postby Ghostman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Sorry about that I meant the RIGHT pocket. I just hadnt finished my 1st cup of coffee yet. As always read the manual or Clymer 1st.

Ghostman

Postby Ghostman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:39 pm

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/coolant
Heres Fred Harmons version of changing the coolant.

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:53 pm

rec45 wrote:
Red Ron wrote:Coolant change is easy. Take out left pocket to get to the radiator cap and take it off. I didn't take any of the leads loose from the pocket as some do. It can just hang out of the way. Take the plug loose and and drain the system. Should be about a gallon. Whatever product you use be sure it is silicate free. If you mix with water yourself be sure to use distilled water. You will probably have to start the engine and blip the throttle 5 or 6 times to burp the system to completely fill. When filling go very, very, slowly or you will smell it for a week. After a few days of riding, take the left pocket out and take the cap off and see if it needs to be topped off. Do all work with bike on centerstand.

The radiator cap is under the RIGHT pocket.

Man I muct have been in a hurry to get to church when I posted. Yes, RIGHT pocket. Also I forgot to mention than insteading of takng the overflow bottle loose and refilling it, I used one of those squeeze ball pumps to empty it of the old coolant.

Ghostman

Postby Ghostman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:08 pm

I dont know about you guys,but after working on heavy equipment for over 30 years I always found it easier to do it than having to explain how.

gliskey

Postby gliskey » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks all. I'll give it a go............

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”