question about use of Navi system....

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
jmichael
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing

question about use of Navi system....

Postby jmichael » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:03 pm

First time Goldwing owner here, purchased a 2008 GL 1800 last Wednesday and traded in my 02 Honda ACE after 40,000 fun miles...Anywho, am loving the GW but after hearing various opinions about using the Navi system, how to update it, etc, was wondering if it would just be simpler to use my trusty TomTom than spend a lot of time trying to learn the Honda system? Would value your opinions greatly!

Thanks for your time...and am wondering where I could download the manual for the Navi....I got the owners manual with the bike but not the Navi system book....

Everyone knows I am different....so what?
And just what is the purpose of that yellow chicken on the back of your GW??

jmichael

Re: question about use of Navi system....

Postby jmichael » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Hmmm, 10 readers of my post and not one answer?

Surely someone has some well earned advice they can give me!

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:37 pm

OK I see the download manual ad, BUT I am not interested in adding another addon on to my computer! Someone just tell me where the navi manual is available on the internet without having to add another program on my computer!

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:49 pm

I found this in the Manuals section of the Forum and ordered :

Honda Goldwing GL1800 2008 Navigation Manual (A)

This manual is available as a printed or downloadable Helm Manual.

Click here to visit the Helm site for this manual: Honda Goldwing GL1800 2008 Navigation Manual (A)

Goldwingdocs.com does not derive any revenue from the sale of Helm manuals.

Read more: http://goldwingdocs.com/HelmManual.asp? ... z2FvDpCYRe

And I did it without having to add anything to my computer! So figured it out myself!

wayne ian
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 2006 suzuki C50ct

Postby wayne ian » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Now that you have answered your own question :P I personally would use the Tom Tom. I find the aftermarket GPS units are more useful, and a lot easier to use.

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks! I plan on trying out my TomTom as soon as the snow and ice melt here and I can ride again! LOL

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Sorry... was away for the hollydays, but have returned now. The on board NAVI system is limited in it's usefullness. It will not give you any speed readout, and on a 2008, you will be using 2005 maps, probably. Updating it is a bit of a chore. You can get a new update (Feb 2012) with 2010 maps on it for $95 from Garmin or pay your dealership a fortune to order one from Honda, OR, you can use some ingenuity and find the update plus newer maps online, requiring a bit of a learning curve in CF card loading, but it can be done. Also, I have a PDF of the Navi Manual, if you have not gotten one yet. Let me know.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Thanks very much for your reply, themainviking! From what I have now read and understand, the Navi is not so important, and now kindava pita...so I have found that my TomTom one will fit in the hole and think I will just velcro it on in there, rather than have to purchase one of those TT holders that fit on the handlebars! I am used to it and know its good points and its pitfalls well.

Thanks everyone! Now if the snow will just melt around here in central Arkansas, I will get some ridin' time in! HA HA

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Okay jm. Please do not get me wrong on the OEM NAVI. It will get you from point A to point B, with a little work. It also cannot be easily stolen, like a TomTom. I too have a TomTom, and like it lots better than the Goldwing NAVI, however, I do use the NAVI most of the time. Mine is up to date, with maps current as of Nov 2012, so it is not so bad.

Enjoy your bike
Viking

ImageImage

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby jinx » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:42 am

Sorry for the late reply but I don't visit these sites much anymore.

I have over 150,000 miles on my 06. I have used the oem navi the whole time to get me
all over the states and canada. I also now have a garmin nuvi 3790, previously had a Nuvi265.
I use the OEM for routing and directions, I use the Garmin for data and POI.
I can pre plan a trip on the oem, load all the waypoints into the favorites and then load each leg
of my trip without leaving the main display while I am on the road.

Also there are mod that will allow you access to the Nav functions while moving. Makes
it easier to to enter detours with out pulling over.

jlkeene
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 level 8

Postby jlkeene » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:52 pm

I have an 08 with the Navi but use my Garmin when it comes to actually plotting and following a route, it's much easier to make updates on the fly and more forgiving if the road does not match the planned route. The Honda Navi drove me crazy the first few times I tried to use it for a route as the roads we were on had changed years earlier but with it using maps that were years behind, it kept telling me to turn around. It would not continue the route even when it got back on the 'old' road that it was aware of.

What I really like the Honda Navi for is when we are just heading in a general direction and looking to get 'lost' on a road off the main route or just take a scenic detour. It makes a very good rolling road map to be able to quickly see where it might lead us. And the new map files do work better.

John
Friends are the family we choose

jlkeene
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 level 8

Postby jlkeene » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:02 pm

Also I did pick up the firmware (on the net) for the Honda unit and upgraded it, then loaded the 2012 map set I purchased for my Garmin onto the Honda SD card. Works a little better, but at least my navi units agree on where I am.

The lastest firmware I am aware of has a bug that prevents searching by feature name but it is usable.

John
Friends are the family we choose

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:19 am

jlkeene wrote:The lastest firmware I am aware of has a bug that prevents searching by feature name but it is usable.

John

John, I think that this is not a bug in the firmware, as it works fine with the set of maps that came with it. I think that the searchable features (as in Honda dealerships) are not loaded into the map file you got for your garmin that you have loaded onto your card for the NAVI, and so are not available to the search feature. Probably no recognizeable features are on the map file that will work with the OEM update firmware.

ImageImage

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:32 pm

There are many varied opinions regarding the OEM gps. I am very happy with the way it works on my '08 and have abandoned plans to mount my portable Garmin. The onboard GPS is weatherproof and easy to hear via the speakers.

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks for your imput! artgrantz

93aspy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 ABS

Postby 93aspy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:41 pm

I have a 2009 and use the on-board Navi as a supplement to my Garmin Zumo665... The one thing I really do not like about the internal Navi is that you cannot interact with it when moving... I have located a workaround for that and will be implementing that this spring when the garage gets warmer but I also use the MP3 player portion of my Zumo as well as XM radio and XM Nav Weather and Traffic... Again, all this functionality is on the bike (except MP3) but you cannot use any of it while moving unless you have the workaround installed...

I think the map detail at various zoomed in levels is better on the internal Navi so I use it for navigating and route changes on the fly as opposed to my Zumo so I actually use both of them in unison... Had the restriction of not using the internal Navi not been there, I probably would just be using it with a external MP3 player...

Les
4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

Darkside # 1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT-45
Honorary Wild Rhino 6/2014

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Well after fiddling around on the internet hunting a Ram mount AND a TomTom one holder I finally found one at mountguys.com...what they have is unbelieveable! Any combo of mount and holder imaginable and what I wanted was on sale! Got the entire set up for less than $40...still can't believe it! HA HA

Have used it twice and really like my TomTom since I have 4 years of experience with it...saved a load of time having to learn the built in navi system...and the mount looks cool...I moved the cup holder to the right side and the mount is on the left...set up looks like the cockpit of a jet plane now! HA HA HA

Rick S
Motorcycle: 96 gl1500ase

Postby Rick S » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:50 am

Picking up a 12 later this week and want to make sure it has latest maps in it. What or when were the maps updated last. Will request that dealer update them to latest if needed.

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:05 am

Rick S wrote:Picking up a 12 later this week and want to make sure it has latest maps in it. What or when were the maps updated last. Will request that dealer update them to latest if needed.

When the navi is booting up it gives you a notice showing the date of the maps it has.

Rick S
Motorcycle: 96 gl1500ase

Postby Rick S » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Great, so when was the latest update or new maps issued?

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:38 am

Rick S wrote:Picking up a 12 later this week and want to make sure it has latest maps in it. What or when were the maps updated last. Will request that dealer update them to latest if needed.

The maps on a 2012 will likely be 2009 or 2010. A Honda update is in the neighborhood of $250 plus dollars, so doubtful the dealer would do it. None may be available either for that matter, as Honda does not really contract a large number of updates. We have been updating the older CF card models for quite some time now, but have never touched one of the SD card ones. CF cards are 2008 and older US models, and 2010 and older in the remainder of the world. United States got an SD card GPS in 2009, and I am really unfamiliar with the unit itself, having not had occasion to even see one.

ImageImage

rvsandell
Motorcycle: 2010 GL 1800 Goldwing

Postby rvsandell » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:53 am

Purchased the Honda Navi 2 GB SD Card City Navigator North America 2011 direct from Garmin. This is correct product for my 2010 GL1800. Cost $99. Maps are still way behind construction in the Central Florida area. Orlando is terrible. The I95 exit to the Pineda Causeway is even missing. Bad job Garmin!

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:21 am

rvsandell wrote:Purchased the Honda Navi 2 GB SD Card City Navigator North America 2011 direct from Garmin. This is correct product for my 2010 GL1800. Cost $99. Maps are still way behind construction in the Central Florida area. Orlando is terrible. The I95 exit to the Pineda Causeway is even missing. Bad job Garmin!

Yeah, I do not understand why this is the way it is, but I have researched the reasons behind it. The company that does the mapping and collating of map data is NavTeq. They then sell the data to all of the different and various GPS product manufacturers, who then incorporate it into their updates and their new GPS models. All this, understandably, takes some amount of time, through all the different stages, HOWEVER, it appears to take between three and four years. That time lag is really quite unacceptable, but it is what it is. Your update from Garmin titled 2011 probably still has 'their' 2010 maps on it, which were probably gotten from NavTec in the previous year, and were collected and put together as data the year before that, so perhaps 2008 or 2009 for the data? All of the GPS companies put out updates quarterly, or at other various regularity, and some of us have discovered how to get these onto our map cards. The maps are not totally up to date, but they are better than the companies are selling in their OEM vehicle updates. One poster above has mentioned that he updated his SD carded unit (like yours), so it is only a matter of spending the time to study up on it. Good luck in getting really current.

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”