adding front foot pegs to GL1800 engine guard

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
jmichael
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing

adding front foot pegs to GL1800 engine guard

Postby jmichael » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:31 am

I am considering adding some front foot pegs to the engine guards and have looked at Kury and others. A fellow experienced GW rider told me not to get the Kury set up because of the following problems he had...He had the Kury set up and his bike fell over, breaking the splines out of the Kury setup..twice this happened...He changed out to Rivcoproducts GL18004 extenders and PEGSW pegs...last time the GW fell, no damage and no cost of replacement. These look good in the Riveco catalog, p. 27 & 28.

Anyone else have his experience with Kury products? Also the Rivco set up is a tad less expensive than the Kury.

And I know the other solution to this problem....park where the GW will not FALL OVER! HA HA HA

Thanks!

Everyone knows I am different....so what?
And just what is the purpose of that yellow chicken on the back of your GW??

jlkeene
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 level 8

Re: adding front foot pegs to GL1800 engine guard

Postby jlkeene » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:14 pm

I've got the Kury Ergo with the 6" arms (4.5" would be better) with ISO pegs. Only had it for 6 months and haven't broken anything. Now the bike has never fallen over by itself, but I do have a disability that sometimes my legs don't work like they should. I end up laying it down about twice a month when I stop. It may move slightly on the engine guard but never any damage.

John
Friends are the family we choose

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences, jlkeene! Since you state the 4" extenders would be better for you...tell me if you don't mind, how tall are you and what is your inseam measurement? I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam so think I would need the 6" extenders so I don't have an issue with the side of the fairing.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:13 am

Jmichael, you are probably correct on the length arms you need, if you are going with the pegs. I am about your height with about one inch longer leg reach, and the six are what I use with my Kuryakyn Ergo II arms with pegs. I also have a board setup for the Ergo II mounts, and I use the 4.5" with the boards. I also have a set of the 1.5" mounts, but they are only good if you happen to have legs up to your armpits. I tried many setups till I got one I liked well, so I have one set of clamps, three sets of arms, one board set and one peg set (peg set requires an extra adapter to attach the pegs to the arms) I finally settled on the pegs with the six inch arms. With the Ergo II setup, there is no problem with breaking things if the bike lays on them. They just swivel on the engine guard. You are correct tho that they are more expensive than other brands.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks very much for the excellent advice. I want to get this correct the first time without having to do a lot costly experimentation!

HogEater
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800 GoldWing Hannigan Trike Conversion

Postby HogEater » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:01 pm

The ones that I have tried, Kury, have seemed to be a little too short causing me to stretch too far to reach them.

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:07 pm

Hogeater,

What is your inseam measurement? Thanks.

HogEater

Postby HogEater » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Inseam is 30......

jmichael wrote:Hogeater,

What is your inseam measurement? Thanks.

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Same as mine. I will probably have to fiddle around with placement of the highway pegs to get full advantage of them without getting my legs into the fairing.

HogEater

Postby HogEater » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:06 pm

I have a trike with floorboards so I don't have much of an option on moving them too far.....

jmichael wrote:Same as mine. I will probably have to fiddle around with placement of the highway pegs to get full advantage of them without getting my legs into the fairing.

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:55 pm

Got my front pegs on and tried out a couple of times today.

I am gonna try moving the position a bit lower on both sides as I felt a bit like a frog with my knees way up in the air the way they are presently and the lower part of the inside of my calf is laying on the edge of the fairing. I set the position up above horizontal because I thought they might be too low, but I was wrong about that. Luckily, I only have to loosen 1 bolt on each side to try a new position! :D

kikker
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level II

Postby kikker » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:02 pm

I've got Kuryakyn Ergo II highway pegs. I'm not real sure I like them yet. THe fairing is a little wider on the '12 models and it causes the legs to spead out a little further to rest the feet on the pegs. I may have to make some adjustments.

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Kikker, I see from your image you have the extenders almost vertical. I have mine essentially horizontal...I find now that I rarely feel a need to use them when riding around town, but am certain when I hit the road on some long trips, it will be nice to have another position for my legs. I had wanted to put on some Baker Lower Wings but decided against it because I felt they would be in the way of me using the highway pegs I got. I did however today put on a set of Baker leg wings on the vertical part of the engine guard...they fit nice and do not cause a problem with the highway pegs. Hope to get a ride in soon to see what they do!

kikker
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level II

Postby kikker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:19 am

jmichael wrote:Kikker, I see from your image you have the extenders almost vertical. I have mine essentially horizontal...I find now that I rarely feel a need to use them when riding around town, but am certain when I hit the road on some long trips, it will be nice to have another position for my legs. I had wanted to put on some Baker Lower Wings but decided against it because I felt they would be in the way of me using the highway pegs I got. I did however today put on a set of Baker leg wings on the vertical part of the engine guard...they fit nice and do not cause a problem with the highway pegs. Hope to get a ride in soon to see what they do!

That's what I meant when I said I may need to make some adjustments. I also may need to exchange the 6" extensions with 4-1/2" extensions. I'm going to adjust the extensions closer to horizontal first.

WNGR
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Blue Level 1

Postby WNGR » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:41 pm

I just installed the Kury Ergo II Lighted Cruise Boards on my '12 and they feel great!
Ride Safe!

Roman

ATGATT - All the Gear. All the Time.

Rick S
Motorcycle: 96 gl1500ase

Postby Rick S » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:20 am

I took my old pegs of my 1500 and they fit fine, still need to adjust them a tad but I sure like them better than the new style kury's that a friend has on his.

Andrey D
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby Andrey D » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:23 am

I've got a 2010 Goldwing had it all deck out to my liking, I was on my way back from the first trip of the year, hit a bit of standing water on the highway and had the ride of my life.
The first bit of hydroplaning on the highway sent me back and forth across my lane, then into the ditch sliding and skidding on the grass I thought I was going to make it and the moment I thought that, I realized I was getting some good hang time sans Motorcycle. I hit hard on the grass and slide quite a distance before I stopped. The wing didn't fair so well as it crashed both sides before coming to a rest on the left side just off the highway.
The Kuryakyn highway pegs both snapped off at the arms, the right side peg only scuffed the valve cover, the left however punched a hole through the cover and managed to cause some damage to the valves themselves. I had been aware of the potential for this type of damage but, as with most things one only takes care of the issue after an incident.
Hopefully this post will save others from this kind of expense. Don't get me wrong I think Kuryakyn products are well made and look great, no one ever plans to drop their machine however if it does happen there is considerable expense to R&R.
Like the old pilot saying "you don't have enough time to make all the mistakes, learn from others" . I am fortunate that I can still walk, the Wing is taking a little longer to recover but, I hope to get a few trips done before the weather closes in and its time to shelter it for another winter.

BongoHutch
Motorcycle: 2013 Honda F6B

Postby BongoHutch » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:02 pm

Hey All .. I'm new to the board but have experience with the Rivco pegs and wanted to pass my experience along.
This is actually a re-post review of Rivco Pegs I posted on anther wing forum.
Its a bit lengthy but I wanted to be through .. lol.
Since posting this originally .. I've had 500 more miles with the pegs and I like them more now than when I wrote the review below.

" Just got back from a 2 Hr ride to test out my new Rivco Hwy Pegs.

First I am 5'11 200 lbs with a 32" inseam.

The fit and finish on the pegs were very nice ... all parts fit together perfectly and are well thought out and well made. I chose the Anodized Silver finish they also come in Chrome and Anodized Black.

Installation was painless and took about 15-20 mins per side. Theres right at 4" of adjustability where the peg component attached to the backbone ... there are a series of mounting positions on the backbone. They allow some adjustability for longer/shorter legs. I have a pretty average leg length and the second position from the back fits me perfectly. As for adjustability ... from my setting it has more room to lengthen than shorten. There are 3 mount positions forward (to lengthen) from mine and 1 position back (to shorten).

The backbone replaces the "Chrome" Honda strip between the valve covers then the peg unit attached to that. It feels solid ... I have a tendency to push out on the highway peg when riding and there was no "give" in the peg or backbone that I noticed. The foldable peg is attached to the peg body with a locknut. Adjusting the tension of the locknut adjusts the tension of the folding action of the peg its self. I set the nut rather firm to keep the peg from moving up/down within the peg body. Even with the "fold action" adjusted fairly tight ... i was able to use the edge of my boot to open up the peg for use. It took a few trial and error tries to get it right but figured it out pretty quickly and can reliably flip out the peg while riding. They are very easy to close up while riding.

Post ride inspection (after 100 miles) showed no signs of loosening or give in either the peg or backbone. The locknut tension remained the same as I had set it ... seems logical that I will need to check it from time to time. Altho you will know if it loosens up as the peg will begin to have movement up/down within the peg body.

For me the pegs work beautifully .. Ive added a couple picts of them in use at highway speeds. There were a couple different positions for my foot and if I tuck my feet into the bike (using the inside portion of the peg) my calf will touch the lower edge of the faring .. but for me it was not a problem at all. If I use the outer part of the peg (as in the photos) my leg didn't actually touch at all. The outer portion of the peg was the most comfortable position for me anyway.

As mentioned here .. I can see how dropping the bike could cause some damage to the valve cover. The lower cover extends up into the area the "Chrome" plastic Honda logo piece is attached. That logo piece has double side tape under it and that double side tape is actually on the top of the lower valve cover piece. There are 2 bolts that hold the logo piece also ... and are also used to secure the backbone of the Rivco. All to say ... given the backbone utilizes the double sided tape as well as the 2 bolts ... if undo trauma was to be put on the Rivco ... and is "ripped" from the attaching bolts .. it most likely would take the lower valve cover with it.

I dont know if a "folded peg" would result in that kind of damage tho .. seems like the peg would need to be extended to do that kind of damage. When the peg is folded in ... it seems more likely the peg would act more like an engine guard. Now since I haven't (and hope I don't) dropped it with the peg in or out .. Im merely using logic as my guide for my opinion on potential damage.

All in all I am very pleased with them .. they are comfortable for me, I'm able to open with my boot while riding, and the look of the unit (IMO) really works with the sleek look of the bike. When there folded in they almost disappear into the styling of the bike.

Hope this review helps and as always ... Ride Safe Fellas !!

BongoHutch

branson0319@att.net
Motorcycle: 2004 1800 GW

Postby branson0319@att.net » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:06 am

I have the kury,s on my 1800 2004 really like them, the adjustability for them is great ,first one I ever had that I could use that didn't have me so spread out that they hurt my hips trying to ride with them ... Have a trike so don't have concerns of it tipping over on it's own or by me in a parking lot ....indian ...

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”