Need information on front fork rebuild

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Need information on front fork rebuild

Postby Sally » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:13 pm

I just order all the parts to rebuild my front forks on the 02 from traxxion. I'm reading that I should disable the anti dive valve. Can anyone tell me how this is done ? I found a site Bama rider but I can't see any of the posted photo's. Help !! Sally

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Need information on front fork rebuild

Postby themainviking » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Easiest way is to buy the shim kit and follow it's instructions. It is really simple. Unscrew the little bolts that hold the top to the bottom and insert the shim, or a nickel with a hole drilled through the center, and replace the bolts - or if using the shim, replace with the included bolts which are just a tad longer. See here:

http://www.motomfg.com/GL1800_Goldwing_ ... p/gl-1.htm
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Sally

Postby Sally » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Totaly cool thank you so much.... ordered Sally :lol: :lol: :lol:

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:41 am

ADV is there for a reason! Keep it clean and it will perform as designed!
Please let us know how you like the ride after you install the new parts!
I found the after market springs I tried made the ride "stiffer" than I liked!
Just put new OEM springs in my 1800 trike @ 32,000 miles and I am a "happy camper" again!

Sally

Postby Sally » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 am

If I understand correctly ? The ADV makes the bike feel stiffer stopping fork from compressing. and with the new heavier springs that can handle the load the ADV is not needed Right ? Also want input on triple tree bearings. I have never had any wobble or other problems and the head bearings seem fine no play ect....Should I replace them see I'm half way there ? or just leave them ? I'm going to add a fork brace also.. SALLY

WOJCIECH
Motorcycle: GL 1800 2009
GL 1800 2009 trike Redwing

Postby WOJCIECH » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:39 am

Remove the screws with a diver inside - remove the tube, make a replacement gasket, clean the center, fold, tighten the two screws, remember! Venting not brake!

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:17 pm

The ADV does in deed restrict the compressions of a fork that is, for example, under braking and the bike is moving over a "rippled" road surface.
When working properly it should not "lock up" the fork during normal braking on an even surface.
IMHO, if you check and there is no for/aft movement of the forks(front of bike lifted up)then there is no reason to replace the head bearings.
As far as the wobble discussed many times on many forums. Some do, some don't. The decel wobble discussed seems to be when owners read about it, then go out and try it by using a very light grip or removing their hands from the grips completely. Cure is, don't take your hands off the grips :roll:
Properly maintained, ala fluid changes as suggested in the maintenance section of the service manual, as well as keeping the proper air pressure in the tires, the bike should be capable on thousands of trouble free smiles!
Just for info, You should make sure the rear suspension fluid is full, then try raising the preload to the max. of 25 and run it there, especially if most riding is done 2-up.

Sally

Postby Sally » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:58 pm

THANK TF deputydawg. I'm also upgrading the rear shock just has to wait till next month or March also using Traxxion for that upgrade.Good things come slow... Sally

Sally

Postby Sally » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Well all the parts got here so I did the rebuild today. Statred about 8 this morning was shutting light off at 4:02. It really was not to bad the left fork went fast the right had a bit of problem getting the bottom bolt out.final got it rebuild went well from there installed fork brace and dis able the anti dive valve. My understanding is there's no choice to but too.When you go from a varible rate spring to a single rate spring this needs to be done. All in all very happy how the job went. Next month I'm going to tackle the rear upgrade from Traxxion. :lol: Sally

Sally

Postby Sally » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Well I got the bike out for the first time since all my upgrades. WOW this thing rides 100% different.I bought it used so I don't know how a new wing rides but I can tell you this has never rode this good.I did the front shock tubes and the rear upgrade from Traxxion and had the seat custom built too. Seats seem a little to hard I hope it brakes in.. But the ride is perect seem to glide no bouding . At the end of last year wife would not ride it was just hammering us sharp blows. Not now..Very happy with the upgrades Money well spend.. Sally :lol: :lol:

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby jinx » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Been riding with the traxxion up grade for a lot of miles and I wont go back to standard.
The bike is nice and stable at any speed you care to do. I don't miss the ADV at all.
By the way Traxxion recommends servicing the fork every 20,000 miles and the rear shock every 50,000.
If you ever have a chance stop by their shop really nice people.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:33 am

Traxxion has a really good product for upgrading Goldwings, and especially the GL1800. Their product though, was a bit too firm for my liking, and it added 'another' inch to the height of the seat from the road, and that was just one inch too much for my short legs. I have Progressive now, front and rear, and for me it is perfect, as it did not add to the bikes height. For those with a longer inseam than 30", say 34" or more, I would really suggest the Traxxion stuff, but for lil short arses like me, go with the progressive. Progressive is way better than stock and Traxxion is quite a bit firmer than Progressive. That should give more people more choices.

About the triple tree bearings - if they are not binding, and are adjusted properly, AND not showing any indications of wear, they are fine. The hazard is in overtightening them, which then causes excessive wear and even dimpling of the races, causing actual detents, where the steering needs to continually be forced back into a straight line. If there is nothing wrong, there is no need to fix it. The majority of wobble at speeds between 40 and 35 miles per hour when decelerating, is caused by some imperfection in the rear tire, most of the time. The solution is to 1) do not ride with your hands off the handlegrips or at least one hand on 2) suffer with it until you need new tires and see if it goes away with a different brand and 3) make sure your tires are balanced properly.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:36 am

I fitted the traction rear shock and performed the front fork conversion several years ago, and would NEVER go back to a stock setup.. The bike does sit higher than stock (because the suspension doesn't collapse under its own weight) but the bike handles so much better and it has more ground clearance. I am 6'2" tall so the extra height was not a concern, but I could easily see it being a worry for shorter people, but I have nothing but good things to say about the conversion. I keep wanting a more recent gold wing, mine is 2004, but I don't want to loose my Traxxion suspension!! I know I could swap it over, but I am too lazy, guess I will just keep the wing... :D

Gary

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”