1800 rear suspension question

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
LloydB
Motorcycle: 08 GL1800 ABS/Hannigan GTL sidecar
Roll-A-Home camper
1995 GL1500SE with a Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

1800 rear suspension question

Postby LloydB » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Just got me first GL1800 a couple of weeks ago, and am still learning about it. It is an 08 ABS model with just over 11,000 miles. It has a sidecar mounted and the previous owner told me to run the rear suspension preload at the max 25 to carry the extra sidecar weight. We have had some cold wet weather, and when the bike has sat for a week or so, when I check the preload it is down some. So the question is, is it normal for the preload to lose pressure when not being riden, or is it something that I should check out? Sorry if this topic has been addressed in the past, thanks for your help.

Lloyd and Judy
Comfort, Tx.
08 GL1800 ABS with a Hannigan GTL sidecar
Roll-A-Home camper

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: 1800 rear suspension question

Postby themainviking » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:10 am

Will it go back up to 25? And if so, will it drop down again? I would think this indicates that the preload system is not full, as liquid is not compressable, or that yes, for some reason, it is leaking down, which would be a valve issue. Complete preload systems are available on ebay for cheap, but the good ones or rebuilt ones are not at all inexpensive. Traxxion probably is the best known. They can rebuild yours, replacing any or all parts (of which the hose is the most important) and refill correctly. A 08 should not be experiencing this sort of difficulties. Does the bike have the five year warranty, and is it still valid?

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

LloydB
Motorcycle: 08 GL1800 ABS/Hannigan GTL sidecar
Roll-A-Home camper
1995 GL1500SE with a Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

Postby LloydB » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks for your response Viking. Yes the system will pump back up to 25, and I know that it is working, because I can feel the rear rising as it is pumping up. I'll keep an eye on it for a while when I can start riding it more often, maybe with more use it will cure itself. Thanks for letting me know that it is not normal.
Lloyd and Judy
Comfort, Tx.
08 GL1800 ABS with a Hannigan GTL sidecar
Roll-A-Home camper

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Postby cihilb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Take the suspension down to 0. Then start increasing it. You should hear it start to labor around 1 or 2. If it's higher than that the fluid is low. The cause of low fluid is the expansion of the hose between the actuator and the shock causing the loss of pressure. There are many threads out there that explain the procedure for filling the actuator.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”