ride on sealant

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Fred Blind
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Godlwing 1800

ride on sealant

Postby Fred Blind » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Ok I asked about tire slime and I get it dont use it.
How about ride on tire sealant I have heard both good and bad.
Would anyone like to share your experiance with this product either good or bad?

Fred

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Re: ride on sealant

Postby Sally » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:31 pm

It's all garbag.. JUNK not made for motorcycles unless your 5oo miles from no where and havfta use for life or death. PERIOD If your tire leaks fix it replace it .. Is your life or wifes life and bike worth more than 5 bones ?? Sally :mrgreen:

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:48 pm

As I stated in your other post, I've used it with great success for years.
As of yet, a formula for use w/GoldWing TPMS system has not been developed . The sensors are uncoated on the Wings!
Many of those that post negatives about RideOn have never used it!
You do not wait for the problem(flat) to then install the product!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've heard and read all the stories and have never experienced any of the problems some list.
As I said, one should throughly study the RideOn web sight and make your decision as to having puncture protection and tire balancing.
None of my friends that are using it have experienced any problems either.
The web sight shows you the area of tire that is protected and the size punctures it will protect against.
You are not to use tire plugs with this product! You still need to check your tires often for impaled objects. Have one, simple pull it out. RideOn will seal the puncture and you keep on riding!
It does have it's limitations so, read the info on the web sight!

jmichael
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing

Postby jmichael » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:13 am

I took the opposite approach to this biker's problem. Purchased a Slime 12V mini air compressor and some plugs!
It's a matter of choice...do you want to know there is a problem or not? I chose to know there is a problem.

But either way, to me, beats sittin on the side of the road in the middle of "nowheresville" with a flat!
Everyone knows I am different....so what?
And just what is the purpose of that yellow chicken on the back of your GW??

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:02 pm

I do the same thing. I carry plugs and a plug tool, and my bike has a compressor onboard I can use. I have TPMS sensors on my tires, and I would really like to know fairly quickly if I've had something puncture my tire - not find out about it the next time I happen to inspect my tires.

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Re, the previous 2 posts and then I've said enough on this subject!
If the puncture is within the limits of what RideOn will protect, you will not be sitting on the side of the road!
If the damage is larger than that, most likely plugs/compressor will be useless also.
One still needs to check ones tires often, even every time you ride is not over kill, using RideOn or not.
Also, note the roadside assistance program available free for 1 year:
http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-auto- ... t-rsa.html

jmichael
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing

Postby jmichael » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks, glad you reminded me of the free road side assistance! And if you are a member of a local ABATE chapter, I think most every state newsletter has a list of volunteers for your particular area that will come and help you out, be it a flat or a mechanical! I carry that list for Arkansas in my saddlebag, just in case.
Everyone knows I am different....so what?
And just what is the purpose of that yellow chicken on the back of your GW??

Fred Blind
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Godlwing 1800

Postby Fred Blind » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:37 pm

I wanted to thank you all for the comments the pros and the cons,
I do keep plugs and a CO2 inflation system in my trunk.

Fred

monkeebutt52
Motorcycle: 2001 GL 1800

Postby monkeebutt52 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:56 pm

Do yourself a favor and stay away from that stuff!! It makes a total mess of your rims, I know it cause I've done it! Like others have said if the hole is too big you won't be able to use plugs! Get a good repair kit, and a road side assistance policy and forget about it! It's junk .....ye be warned!

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:50 am

monkeebutt52 wrote:Do yourself a favor and stay away from that stuff!! It makes a total mess of your rims, I know it cause I've done it! Like others have said if the hole is too big you won't be able to use plugs! Get a good repair kit, and a road side assistance policy and forget about it! It's junk .....ye be warned!

I knew I should have quit following this thread!
Would you mind explaining just how the RideOn made a total mess of your rims?
The formula has corrosion inhibitors in it. It is also water soluble.
FYI, EagleRider bike rental uses it and in 2010 almost 28 million miles were logged w/no issues!

monkeebutt52
Motorcycle: 2001 GL 1800

Postby monkeebutt52 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:48 pm

Good for Eagle Rider, this stuff might be ok in tube tires but definitely dries out coating the rim, got in my tire valve stems and bead causing leaks. The shop had to wire brush the inside of the rim before he could mount another tire. This stuff is bad news in Gl1800's!

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:05 am

monkeebutt52 wrote:Good for Eagle Rider, this stuff might be ok in tube tires but definitely dries out coating the rim, got in my tire valve stems and bead causing leaks. The shop had to wire brush the inside of the rim before he could mount another tire. This stuff is bad news in Gl1800's!

I know I'm going to end up upsetting you here but,
I have never had RideOn "dry out"! How old were the tires this happened in?
Would like to know how it got in the valve stems and in the bead? If installed correctly/per instructions and then the bike is immediatley ridden for a number of miles, the product is distributed around the inside perimeter of the tire, meaning it's no where near the valve stems, nor the bead of the tire?

CanyonGlider
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Postby CanyonGlider » Fri May 10, 2013 11:21 am

I swear by Ride-On Sealant for my GL1800 and My 750 Spirit-- been using it for several years- successfully! It does screw up your TPMS sensors, but you can overcome that minor problem by buying a TPMS monitoring system which is far better to use anyway because it actually gives you discrete tire pressure data-- which the GW TPMS does not do-- just an idiot light-- useless.

Peteswing
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Double Darksider #856

Postby Peteswing » Sun May 12, 2013 9:22 am

That stuff can't be good for the wheel sensors. I run a car tire its a run flat tire don't have to worry as much at lease I can get home or to store to get a replacement. When I was running a bike tire I carried tire plugs with me.

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun May 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Peteswing wrote:That stuff can't be good for the wheel sensors. I run a car tire its a run flat tire don't have to worry as much at lease I can get home or to store to get a replacement. When I was running a bike tire I carried tire plugs with me.

RideOn states on their web sight and repeated by me in one of my above posts, Product is not to be used w/the unprotected TPMS sensors currently used on the Honda Gold Wing. It works fine w/most other TPMS systems available.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”