added Baker Legwings to my 2008

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
jmichael
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing

added Baker Legwings to my 2008

Postby jmichael » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:25 am

Well, in an attempt to cut down on the cold winter winds blowing on my legs, I just added Baker Legwings to my 2008...chose the dark smoke color...the install I had read about and it was pretty simple...once I looked at a good closeup pic and determined that they mounted on the backside of the vertical member of the engine guard and that the nuts go to the front on the mounts. Took about 15 minutes for me...I am slow...and they look good and from a few rides now, seem pretty effective.

I did encounter the same problem as most have....that is with the snap caps...I did not have enough strength in my hands to get them to snap, so out came the channel locks and I was able to get them to click right on! They won't fall off, that's for sure...If I ever want to remove the caps, I will have to pry them off!

Just wanted to let other folks know I think this is a good product....only problem was, I found installation videos for most all the Baker products on their website but not for the Legwings... the written instructions were ok but I found a high res close up pic that was worth a 1000 words on Google.com! That made it easy!

The GW came with Baker dark smoke Handwings from the previous owner and they work well...I might have considered what they call the 2 piece LowerWings but don't think with my present engine guard mounted footpeg they would work so well for me...would hit my knees I think.

Keep the shiney side up!

Everyone knows I am different....so what?
And just what is the purpose of that yellow chicken on the back of your GW??

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: added Baker Legwings to my 2008

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 pm

One of those snap caps popped off and was lost forever on my 1100's Baker Wind Wings, so don't assume they're there forever! :)

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:49 pm

I would ask the question....How long after you installed them? The way these popped on, they will be on for the life of the accessory! LOL And heck, the bike ain't gonna last forever so I don't assume that! LOL

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:03 pm

jmichael wrote:I would ask the question....How long after you installed them? The way these popped on, they will be on for the life of the accessory! LOL And heck, the bike ain't gonna last forever so I don't assume that! LOL

It was a couple years, anyway. So not a big deal - I emailed them, and they sent me a new one in the mail, free.

jmichael

Postby jmichael » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:12 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
jmichael wrote:I would ask the question....How long after you installed them? The way these popped on, they will be on for the life of the accessory! LOL And heck, the bike ain't gonna last forever so I don't assume that! LOL

It was a couple years, anyway. So not a big deal - I emailed them, and they sent me a new one in the mail, free.

Thanks for that info, will file that away in the memory banks should I need it in the future! :D

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”