Reverse Slips

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
maximum130
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Goldwing

Reverse Slips

Postby maximum130 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:31 pm

My 2005 GL1800 has started to slip in reverse. When I engage the reverse the bike starts to backup, but then it slips. You can here the starter spinning and the sound of it trying to catch again. It happened once and never again for a few months and then now it happens quite often. I am not a pro mechanic, so this is a little out of my comfort zone. The electrical seems to be working correctly. I am thinking it is a mechanical problem with either a misalignment, spring tension or cables needing to be tightened. Any ideas?

Thank you

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Reverse Slips

Postby redial » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:01 pm

I have no experience with an 1800, however, try adjusting the cables, as it sounds like they may have stretched a bit or just got out of alignment as wear and tear takes place. While you are in there, get some electrical contact cleaner (from Radio Shack or other favourite electrical stockist), and use that to clean the switch itself. If you havent got a manual, get one. You can use this site to find something that should assist, and look in the "How-to Articles" for similar. If you get stuck, ask again, and someone with better knowledge will chime in, I am sure.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Is it just letting go and spinning, or is it grinding?

I'm with you in the first thing I would look at is cable tension, and fortunately that's relatively easy to check and adjust.

REVERSE SHIFT ACTUATOR CABLE ADJUSTMENT
Remove the following:
– right engine side cover
– center inner fairing

Check that the reverse shift actuator pulley is in the neutral position as shown.

Check the N cable clearance between the cable outer end and cable holder: CLEARANCE: 0 mm (0 in)
Check the R cable clearance between the cable outer end and cable holder: CLEARANCE: 0.3 – 0.8 mm (0.01 – 0.03 in)

Loosen each lock nut and adjust the clearance by turning each adjusting nut as required.

Shift the transmission into neutral and turn the ignition switch to “ON.”
Push the reverse shift switch to “ON” to move the reverse actuator pulley to the reverse position.

Make sure there is clearance between the reverse shift arm and lost motion plate as shown.
Push the reverse shift switch to “OFF” to return the reverse actuator pulley to the neutral position.
Turn the ignition switch to “OFF” and install the following:
– center inner fairing
– right engine side cover

maximum130
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby maximum130 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:58 am

Hello. Apologies for not replying back, in over a year, to the post, in reference to my reverse problem. The information provided was extremely helpful and I was able to use it, to isolate the cause of the problem. A big thank you for the information! After reviewing the clearances of the reverse shift actuator and cables and finding them all to be good, I checked the clearance of the reverse shift arm and motion plate and noticed the cables were misaligned with the reverse drum, by 1/8" and the spring and drum were aligned at a downward angle. I looked at the drawings in the parts manual and noted a bolt and washer, that hold the spring and reverse drum on the reverse shifter shaft. I felt inside the lost motion spring collar and found the bolt and washer were missing.
Needless to say, I spent a lot of time checking every bolt and screw that I could access and checked that they were all tight and torqued at the recommended values. I did find a couple of screws that were loose, but all of the bolts were snug and at the torqued values listed in the manual.

Once again, thank you for your information!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”