2006 Navi Update

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
onelostsock
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800HPNA

2006 Navi Update

Postby onelostsock » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:08 pm

I am considering updating my nav gps to the newest version from Garmin. Hate to spend the bucks but would like to hear a little less"re-calculating" from my unit. Anyone have experience installing the newest version and any pitfalls etc. to watch out for? I understand there are cheaper ways to get the newest version but I am not that tech savy and willing to bite the bullet to know it installs the way it should and hopefully runs the way it should as plug and play.Thanks for any insight into this. Looking foward to spring up here in Maine. Its been a looooong winter!!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: 2006 Navi Update

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Your 2006 card is probably 2003 or 2004 maps, so the Garmin update will give you in the neighborhood of October 2010 or February 2011 (they are the same map anyway) so if that is enough of an update for you, you should go for it. I believe Garmin is selling them for $95. After the firmware has updated in your bike, if you get a 2gb CF card and a USB CF card reader, and then look around on the web, you can find the City Navigator North America NT 2013.40 unlocked gmapsupp.img file, which would be between 1.6 and 1.9 gigabytes. Load this on the empty card, inside a folder named Garmin, plug it into your NAVI, and you will have the most up to date maps you can possibly get. If this is too much for you, then just get the Garmin update, and leave it at that. You would still be six or seven years more up to date than you are now. I just put the 2013.40 image file in my bike this very evening (current as of Feb 2013) and it looks good. I will need to go for a ride south of here about forty miles to see if they got the new highway yet. Typically, NavTeq, who collect, collate and sell the maps to all the GPS manufacturers, are three to four years behind times.

And questions - feel free to ask right here, or if not comfortable discussing this in a public forum, you may PM me.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

onelostsock
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800HPNA

Postby onelostsock » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:02 am

Thanks to the themainviking for the information given. I will look into the cost of buying the hardware(card reader etc) and see what will be the easiest for me and my limited abilities on my laptop! I look foward to getting the updated version of my gps whether it is a couple of years back or the newest maps. Like you said even maps that are a few years newer than I currently have will be a big plus. I look foward to our ride to the Gaspe of Quebec this coming Sept. It will be our second time up. What a wonderful place to ride!!! If you have'nt done it yet you should try the route around the Gaspe'. Happy riding!

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby jinx » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:27 am

themainviking do you still have the poi errors or have I missed something ? I am still running 4.6 . I personally don't care about the
poi problem but if it has been solved it would be nice . I use my Garmin for the pois.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 am

jinx wrote:themainviking do you still have the poi errors or have I missed something ? I am still running 4.6 . I personally don't care about the
poi problem but if it has been solved it would be nice . I use my Garmin for the pois.

Hi jinx... the only maps with POIs which are searcheable by name are the upgrades directly from Garmin, and specifically for the Honda unit - and these POIs are ONLY Honda shops under the name search function. All other POIs normally on maps are on every version of them. If you enlarge the map to the right size, the POIs should show. In order to be searcheable, Garmin has loaded the names into an extra file that can only be read off their card. I do not understand the specifics of how they do this, or I could do it myself - sorry. :( The problem is trying to incorporate the POI names into the maps that Garmin provides with their updates, which are generic. It really cannot be done without their editors, and the Honda Navi does not have provisions for adding POI files.

ImageImage

jinx

Postby jinx » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:11 am

Since I love screwing with the Honda nav would anyone be willing to provide me with the directory structure
of the 2011 CF card. I don't want any actual files just the tree.
What I am looking for is the poi file location and any other files added to the card with the 2011 update.
Thank you

jinx

Postby jinx » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:58 am

I believe that the POIs are in all the maps. I did some playing this weekend with my nav. If you do a do a search by name the keyboard
blanks out so no search. But if you do a search by nearest you will get a list of POIs. If you choose one the nav will route you to that
location. So I beleive all the POI's are still there. I think what Garmin did is put a flag in the Honda 2011.11 maps. Now if this flag is
detected the search keypad works, if not the keypad blanks out.

Now to anyone willing to play and has the knowledge to work with Garmin maps . Take the 2011.11 oem CF, copy it to a new CF
card and insert the new card into the nav. Try doing a search by name. I believe the keypad will still work. Now remove just the maps from the new CF card and install an unlocked 2011.11 maps set and try again. I bet you wont have a search keypad but you will still be able to search by nearest .

If anyone tries this post your results. please.

I would but I don't have the 2011.11 OEM CF.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:15 am

jinx wrote:I believe that the POIs are in all the maps. I did some playing this weekend with my nav. If you do a do a search by name the keyboard
blanks out so no search. But if you do a search by nearest you will get a list of POIs. If you choose one the nav will route you to that
location. So I beleive all the POI's are still there. I think what Garmin did is put a flag in the Honda 2011.11 maps. Now if this flag is
detected the search keypad works, if not the keypad blanks out.

Now to anyone willing to play and has the knowledge to work with Garmin maps . Take the 2011.11 oem CF, copy it to a new CF
card and insert the new card into the nav. Try doing a search by name. I believe the keypad will still work. Now remove just the maps from the new CF card and install an unlocked 2011.11 maps set and try again. I bet you wont have a search keypad but you will still be able to search by nearest .

If anyone tries this post your results. please.

I would but I don't have the 2011.11 OEM CF.

Yes, the POIs are in all the maps, but the Honda dealerships are only in the Honda Navi maps, as only the Honda people are interested (or you are correct in that only if there is a flag will you get to search by name - which amounts to the same thing). The Generic updates (City Navigator North America NT) from which 'we' take our new maps do not have the Honda shops as far as I can tell, as I have not found any, but POI nearest still works.

The search by name ONLY works from locked Garmin made cards, and may not work even from THEIR newest upgrades. If you just copy the files to a new card, it will not work, as the unlock file from the original card will not transfer intact for some reason. It becomes corrupted.

If you place an unlocked map image on the card along with the firmware, the maps will work, the POI nearest will work BUT the search function by name will not. It is because there is information missing on the unlocked image file. There is no subfile (or perhaps flag) to list the Honda dealerships, as there probably are no Honda dealerships in the generic update that the unlocked image file was produced from. There is no way to turn a locked image file into an unlocked image file, so no way of using the original map file in an unlocked configuration.

Also, once the firmware has been updated in the Navi unit, it is not necessary to have that file on the card in the unit. It is only necessary to have an unlocked image file, which gives the ability to go all the way to about 1.926 Gigs on a 2 Gig card some being taken up by the system info.

The file structure on the cards is %root% with only one folder named "Garmin" inside which all files are placed. There are four files. The firmware file (.gcd), the locked maps image file (.img), an UNLock file (.unl) and a gmapsupp.fbn file that I have no idea what it does. It is not necessary to the operation of the NAVI with an unlocked image file, and serves no purpose if it is on a card with said image file.

I have one question - why did you specify a 2011.11 OEM CF card? Is there some special significance to it? Thanks.

ImageImage

jinx

Postby jinx » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:25 am

On my 06 with firmware 4.5 map 2013.4 I have all the Honda dealers. They are in the system and are there even if the card is locked.
I can do a search by name for Honda dealers and route the the dealer I searched for.

If I read you right you are saying you do not have any dealers in your system ? Also you did a copy of the oem CF to the new CF and the
POI search did not work ?

Sorry for being so anal but I believe this can be solved.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:10 pm

jinx wrote:
1) If I read you right you are saying you do not have any dealers in your system ?

2) Also you did a copy of the oem CF to the new CF and the POI search did not work ?

3) Sorry for being so anal but I believe this can be solved.

1) Correct. The maps I make and place on the CF cards do not have any dealers in them. They do, however have generic POIs like fire stations, restaurants, fuel stops etc.

2) Correct. I made a copy of the OEM CF card and not only did POI search not work, the maps were not accessible. When I then put an unlocked image file on the card, the maps were accessible, but of course, no search by name.

3) It is quite likely that this can be solved, however, it is probably beyond my limited abilities, and definitely beyond my interest. I got into this whole thing so I could have updated maps, as I felt Honda and Garmin were doing their customers a great disservice by issuing updates very sporadically, and even when issued, the maps were two or three years old, and from Honda - exorbitantly priced. The search by name function was not a concern. I wanted up to date maps. Even if someone solves this search by name function dilemma, I probably would not incorporate it, as I have not used it since I got the bike. As a member of the GWRRA, I have a Gold Book that I carry. I would much rather deal with a fellow member than a dealership. Anyone I help with an update is forewarned that the search by name function will not be available. Most people say they never used it anyway. I hope you do solve it, though, if you use it.

ImageImage

jinx

Postby jinx » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Replied to your PM. You and I are in the same place as to the use of this function. It just a limitation that I would like to solve just like the
lockout overide and nag screen..

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:03 pm

I did not have a search by name function for anything but Honda dealerships in my original programming. That is why I did not miss it when it was not there in the updates. I think the by name function was always only for Honda dealerships, dictated by Honda originally. I love my Goldwing, but am not at all satisfied on how Honda has handled the NAVI system of usefulness and upgradeability. This discussion began here and on other boards way back probably in 2006 when the first NAVI hit the streets, but I got into it the spring after I bought my bike (2011) I do not believe anyone is fully satisfied with the OEM Navigation system. Already, at Wing Ding 2011 in Knoxville, a Garmin representative was onsite to address the update dilemma, so they knew how unhappy CF card owners were, and so did Honda.

ImageImage

jinx

Postby jinx » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:41 pm

First of all I purchased the ABS model and Honda included the Nav in that package so I didn't have any expectation on its performance.
I do like it for getting me from point A to B . Again I use my Nuvi for most other functions.

As for the Honda dealers. I just re-installed the original file on the CF card and installed it in the bike. I can do a search and route to
any place I want. Also I found out by accident that even no maps installed, no CF card installed , I can still search for
the Honda dealer and nav will try and route to it.
That is just an FYI.

I am going to continue to play with this. If anyone has anything to add or any help please do.

themainviking thanks again.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks for all of this jinx, as it has been most illuminating. Now, which original file did you reinstall on your CF card that allowed the search by name function to return? You have already said that you went to firmware Version 4.6 and were able to go back to 4.5, which I was not aware could be done, so that was nice to know.

Thanks for the time you have put into this.

Viking

ImageImage

jinx

Postby jinx » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:16 am

The one that came with the bike when I bought it back in 2006. I have not tried it but I suspect that any unlocked
non-nt map set will do the same. It is CNNA V7 and of course it has the license file with it.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:40 am

jinx wrote:The one that came with the bike when I bought it back in 2006. I have not tried it but I suspect that any unlocked
non-nt map set will do the same. It is CNNA V7 and of course it has the license file with it.

Using the original card huh? Well, that is one that I did not try, as I did not wish to put an unlocked file on that card. I have held that card back for emergency purposes, such as receiving a letter telling me that I had breached some sort of copyright protocols and they were coming to check my bike. :lol: :lol: :lol: I do know that a copy of that card will not function. A build of that card using the firmware only, with an unlocked non NT map image worked as a map, but not with the search by name function, however, with the original firmware already in place, nothing but a map image is required to get the NAVI to work with maps.

ImageImage

jinx

Postby jinx » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:42 am

Leave the original card alone. Copy it to your spare and install in the bike or just install it.
I am running V4.5 firmware now for all test. 4.5 and 4.6 will run the older maps whether they are nt or non-nt
format.
Again if I install the original oem map set I can do a search by name.
With any of the map set I will get the icons on the map if it is set to 500 or 200 ft. and a POI
is in the area. If I highlight an icon on the map the name will be displayed.

The firmware will not revert to an older version without doing a reset.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:43 am

jinx wrote:Again if I install the original oem map set I can do a search by name.

Okay. Up till this, I thought the original file you were speaking of was the original 'firmware', but conversely, it is the original map image. Now it makes sense to me. It looks like we have duplicated each others efforts, only explained differently. Yes, I have received the same results doing the same experiments. I had not ever tried to revert back to previous versions of the firmware, because I thought it would require a reset, or even not be possible. Thank you for clarifying this.

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”