QUESTION rear shock GL1800

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

QUESTION rear shock GL1800

Postby Sally » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:49 pm

I just recieved my new Traxxion rear shock But before I take the old one off bike Do I need to set the preload to zero? or to twenty five ?I bought the whole unit including hose and pump it's all together remove old install new. But what do I set preload at it has to make a different. Sally

Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: QUESTION rear shock GL1800

Postby thrasherg » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:28 pm

There is a sensor on the preload system so you can leave it where you want, but I would suggest winding it down to zero as it will make getting the preload mechanism easier to remove from your old shock!! There is also a link on this site about filling the preload up with oil as air sometimes gets in the system and the settings from 1 to 10 have no effect on the preload.. As you will have to remove the preload mechanism from the old shock to fit to your new shock, now is the perfect time to check it for any air.. Since fitting my Traxxion rear shock (4 years ago), I have just set the preload at 5 and never touched it (I don't pull a trailer, but regardless of whether I carry a passenger or ride solo, I have never needed to add preload to the Traxxion shock (Very different story from the stock rear shock!!)).

I hope you have fitted the traxxion fork springs and disabled the anti dive, it all makes for a MUCH better handling goldwing, it also raises the wing about an inch which can be difficult for some people when stopping but gives much better clearance in the corners..

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”