Seat & grip heaters work intermittently?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Seat & grip heaters work intermittently?

Postby yechave » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:50 am

I rode for a couple hours the other day. I had both grip and seat heaters on for the first 25 min, pulled in at gas station and put side stand down, in gear, did not turn the key off.

After I restarted, there was no heat on either for the rest of the ride to my destination, which was about half an hour.
I had not moved the controls and both heaters were left on max.

I thought it blew a fuse. Got the manual out to put in the trunk & I planned on getting fuses expecting they just did not work.

However, when I rode home, they both worked for the entire ride home.

Any idea why they did not work or what to look for? I have six months of factory warranty left.

Thanks!

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Re: Seat & grip heaters work intermittently?

Postby jinx » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:13 pm

That is probably one of the hardest problems to solve on the heating system. There are many connectors to the heating system any one can cause
a problem if loose or intermittent. Did you have the seat heater on as well ? Did you do any work under the top shell ?

I ask because there are three connectors for the grips under the top shell. The connectors for the grips are under the top shell to the left of the
locking pocket. If either one is loose or intermittent neither grip will work. Also check the connector in front of the ignition switch.

If you have an ammeter , Habor frieght sells one for about $10.00, connect it inplace of the fuse. It should read about 8A with the seat and grips
on. If not check all the connectors and see if any of them fix the problem.

You are just a quick ride down the road from Harrisburg were I am so let me know if I can be of farther help.

yechave

Postby yechave » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks for all that info. Both heaters were on.

Sounds like it is going to go in the shop. I have never taken any parts off the bike, but it has had extensive repairs done the past two years. The tranny was rebuilt, so basically everything was dismantled, and the fuel mapping chip was later replaced after weeks of testing due to very low RPM's, lights dimming and some other issues. All of those were taken care of at Lancaster Honda.

I am waiting to hear back from Lancaster Honda, my primary go-to guys.

Thanks again!

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby jinx » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:09 pm

Hopefully you are still under warranty. Just to make you feel good.
In the last year driveshaft, final drive, nav display,alternator brushes,temp sensor
barometric sensor, left hand grip, and right handle bar controls all under warranty.
And this week I replaced the valve seals.

My warranty runs out in May. I have 154,000 on my 06 and have loved every minute of it.

I have been to Lancaster nice people.

yechave

Postby yechave » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:10 pm

WOW! I envy you. I sold my primary driver - 97 conversion van last Fall, and barely drove 2k miles/yr with that.

We have a mere 23k on this 06. I did have to replace the alternator at 10k, was pulled again last year just to check. The tranny was rebuilt in 2010 I believe. Had the Traxxion suspension put in when we got it in Lake George NY. That has been the longest ride we had on the bike. Completely serviced last July with new tires and I think I might have less than 3k miles on is since then. I now have pretty much all my services done at Lancaster Honda. They have treated us really really well.

It might be going for sale due to health issues........soon. I am just in way too much pain to ride much at all.

Last year we bought two, Honda Helix 250's, and that has been my primary bike since last fall. My 1996 has 5k miles on it, her 2004 has 3k on it. I had no idea how much fun they were. It's almost like owning an amusement park!

Have a super day!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”