Bleeding Rear Brakes

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
z-man
Motorcycle: 2008 gl1800 goldwing, 1972 Honda CL100

Bleeding Rear Brakes

Postby z-man » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:24 pm

I was bleeding the brakes on my 08 gl1800 and by dumb luck sucked some air in the system by letting the rear master cylinder run dry by a very small amount. I refilled the master cylinder and now I cant get any fluid to drain from any of the bleeder valves, nothing comes out. I have a hand held mityvac and have tried that and still nothing. A friend suggested I open one bleerder valve and see if in time some fluid will drain. I am looking of some suggestions, and any help. Thanks

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Bleeding Rear Brakes

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:03 pm

Have you tried conventional bleeding. Pushing down the brake pedal while opening the bleeder? I'm thinking the master cylinder lost its prime and you'll need to pump it.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

z-man

Postby z-man » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:39 pm

Yea... I have no peddle at all

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:04 pm

Well my friend you have quite a problem but yes you can fix it. Your forgetting that the rear runs though the front also because all the calipers are double pistons and all calipler have two bleeders .So here's the process Go to the left front upper bledder start there,then right front lowwer,then rear lowwer and top of anti dive valve and last the upper rear bledder.That's the process for bledding the rear. Make sure you do it in this order or your just spinning your wheels.. Sally

z-man

Postby z-man » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:31 pm

I have a manual with the bleed order and have done it several times. Left front upper side bleed valve, right front lower side bleed valve, rear lower side bleed valve, anti-dive plunger bleed valve and rear upper side bleed valve. I get no fluid from any of the bleed valves, just wanted to know if any one had any advise for what to do next.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:55 pm

Did you attempt to pump up the pedal? You might have to pump it several times. If you can get any pressure, you have a chance of fixing this. If you cannot, then my take would be to get the bike to a dealership. If it was me, I would pump the pedal fifty times if I had to, just to see if I could get any pressure. If you have to do it this way, it may be a two man job, to avoid complete frustration. This is normally the situation when someone rebuilds the master cylinder, so patience is a good thing. Try to get a helper who knows how to bleed brakes, so you both know what is going to happen.

Had a guy help me with brake bleeding one time. He pumped the pedal up nice and hard, and the second I opened the bleeder, he took his foot off, because he had not expected it to collapse. Since then, I always use myself and one other knowledgeable person so both people KNOW what they are doing. I am not even hinting that you don't. I am simply stating an experience I had, and it was not a pleasant one.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

z-man

Postby z-man » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:09 pm

I wana say thanks to those who replyed to my post. I got the problem solved, everything works fine, got fluid to come out all seven bleeders and now have a firm pedel. Just so you all know, what I was lacking was one tool ( THE WIFE).

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”