CB Radio Won't Come On

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
stargazer
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda GL1800A

CB Radio Won't Come On

Postby stargazer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi all. New to the forum here but have a question. I have a new to me 2012 Level 3. Went to use the CB and it won't even power up. I checked the fuse, 'played' with the switch, and checked the connections at the L/H audio panel. I don't have any wiring manual so that I can check for continuity to try and isolate the problem
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Re: CB Radio Won't Come On

Postby Red Ron » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:38 pm

Not sure about the 2012; bugt on other models the main plug is located underneath the top shelter (the part that looks like the gas tank) on the right side. It is a large white plug. If like other models you do not have to take the top shelter off to check it. Just loosen up the top shelter screws and prop the shelter with a piece of 2x4 while you check it.

Another thing that comes to mind, and I hope this is not the case, is water damage. Might want to check for evidence of water in the recess where the cb unit lives. Some drill holes in the bottom of the trunk to let any water from rain of trunk spills drain.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Stargazer, this may seem like a stupid question, but it needs asking. Are you sure you have a CB? These bikes don't come with them, and unless the previous owner put one in, it won't have one. And if it had one, but you got this bike from a dealership, they may have taken it out. If you are indeed sure that you have one, then I will step right on out of this thread. If you are not sure, you may check by lifting the panel in the bottom of the trunk and looking beneath it. Just having the controls (all the bikes have them) does not guarantee the existance of the CB.

Regards,
Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Red Ron
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:17 pm

themainviking wrote:Stargazer, this may seem like a stupid question, but it needs asking. Are you sure you have a CB? These bikes don't come with them, and unless the previous owner put one in, it won't have one. And if it had one, but you got this bike from a dealership, they may have taken it out. If you are indeed sure that you have one, then I will step right on out of this thread. If you are not sure, you may check by lifting the panel in the bottom of the trunk and looking beneath it. Just having the controls (all the bikes have them) does not guarantee the existance of the CB.

Regards,
Viking

Very good point. I may have overlooked the most obvious explanation!

stargazer

Postby stargazer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Thanks. Well, yes I know that the bikes come with all the controls but no CB installed as is but since it had the antenna I assumed the whole thing was there. And a friend told me me that it did have it on it.....but upon further checking it does not know have the CB main unit. I contacted the previous owner and he told me that he mentioned this to me. He may have and I did not pick up on it as he was going over a ton of information on the bike, but I really thought it had one since the antenna was mounted. But when I went to check the main unit......no CB. So now I feel like a dumb a$$, but live and learn. I honestly thought the bike had the CB in it when I bought it.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Sorry I was the one to bring it up. Now I feel kinda bad that you were misled. And you should not feel silly. If it had a CB antenna, and I was buying a 2012 Goldwing GL1800, I would be too excited to look in the trunk for the CB. I also would have assumed it was there. I hope you enjoy the bike anyway. I sure would. If you make sure you get the right model, these occasionally come up on ebay. I got one for my 2009 on ebay, brand new, in the box, with antenna for under $500 from ebay, early last year. I have read that on the 2012 bikes, if you add a CB, the wiring bundles have to be wrapped with metalized tape to prevent bleed into the audio system. Perhaps that is why the CB was removed.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

stargazer

Postby stargazer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks. I've had the bike for a over a month, almost 2, and had yet to use the CB. In the past I used a CB a lot when I group rode but now a days it is mostly solo or with a friend and we use SENA SMH-10 exclusively. Blue tooth is great. Today I was riding with my old group and thought, 'hey, good opportunity to try out the CB' ... and no joy. Maybe one of these days I'll fork out the $$$ for the thing but dang, I really thought I was getting the CB since the CB antenna was there. Completely my fault for not being more attentive.

Red Ron
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:47 am

Sometimes you can pick up a good deal on one of the boards or ebay. If you buy a new one, a lot are going with the gl2way because other components can be plugged into it, the service if you have a problem is unmatched and it is cheaper than the oem. No, I don't have one or know the guy that owns the product but word of mouth is very favorable.

stargazer

Postby stargazer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks! Appreciate the reply and info.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”