TRIKE CONVERSION

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
GRAPEAPE94
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

TRIKE CONVERSION

Postby GRAPEAPE94 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:03 pm

This comming fall/winter I am planning on doing a trike conversion to my '06. I need some thoughts on which is the best conversion to go with. I will be doing the work myself as I have the time/tools and mechanical ability. I will be turning 68 on Halloween and have noticed that I will be more comfortable on a trike as I am pretty well done with dragging pegs on the twisties. Like I said, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

bayoudave
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Motortrike

Re: TRIKE CONVERSION

Postby bayoudave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:37 am

There are plenty of choices. Visit http://www.triketalk.com/forum/ where the subject has been batted around many times. It really comes down to personal preferences.
2002 Goldwing Motortrike Spider
2007 PiggyBacker Trailer
2009 Time Out Deluxe Camper
2006 Arctic Fox Toy Hauler

CMA
PGR

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:48 am

If you will be doing the work yourself you will be limited in your choices. Not all trike companies sell for self install. Only a few sell kits. Depending on your insurance company they also may ask you if your trike was factory built or not. And depending on where you live say if you were from California, in California not all kits are licensable for the road.

HogEater
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800 GoldWing Hannigan Trike Conversion

Postby HogEater » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:28 am

There are many. MANY different conversions available. My best advice is to do as much research as you can, ride whatever you can, and base your decision on what's good for YOU!!!!!

I spent the better part of two years researching the different trike kits. Eventually I went with the Hannigan. Independent suspension and they have some great customer service as well.

Be VERY wary of some of the less reputable installers out there. There are a few that work out of a trailer and will give you what seems to be a GREAT deal. Then, if and when something goes wrong, you'll have a hard time getting back in touch with them.

Currently there is one that is offering a "free" rake kit with any new installation. Be VERY careful. I cannot stress enough to do your research!!!!!

GRAPEAPE94 wrote:This comming fall/winter I am planning on doing a trike conversion to my '06. I need some thoughts on which is the best conversion to go with. I will be doing the work myself as I have the time/tools and mechanical ability. I will be turning 68 on Halloween and have noticed that I will be more comfortable on a trike as I am pretty well done with dragging pegs on the twisties. Like I said, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

SoulMan
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby SoulMan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 pm

the best self install kit would be the trike shop roadsmith. the last person posting didn't seem to understand you want to do it yourself.

SoulMan
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby SoulMan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Which installer works out of trailer and why did you bring that up

twv60s
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Goldwing/CSC Trike

Postby twv60s » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 am

All the trike companies will be at Wing Ding 35 in Greenville, SC this year. That would be a good place to compare each model and I believe they offer test rides.

Good luck and ride safe,

tom

captrik2
Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Goldwing 1800 Trike

Postby captrik2 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:22 am

By my experience the best value for the dollar and the ease of conversion and price is the
california side car cobra (the cobra XL) if you want the ground effects.

Maverick b
Motorcycle: 2005 GL 1800 goldwing

Postby Maverick b » Tue May 14, 2013 8:11 pm

You live in a great state for trikes and one of the best conversion outfits is located in Lake Alfred FL Trike Trader.com a family run company they triked our bike
with a Hannigan kit 36000 miles later it has been great we enjoy riding even more, the stress of hold both the bike and my wife up was to much and took a lot of the fun out of riding look them up and talk to Shaun OR Doug. Enjoy the Journey Maverick

Gunslinger
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 CSC Cobra XL Trike

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:24 pm

It's not that much more to have the Trike kit installed at a reputable dealer/installer.
I have a CSC Cobra Xl on my 2010 and I love it. The only other choice I would have made would have been the Hannigan but I'm happy with what I have.
Trikes by Design on Hwy 41 in Inverness is an excellent place to have your conversion done. Factory trained techs, attention to quality & safety, plus perfect paint matching, makes them one of my favorite trike converters. I live in Vero Beach so it's a 3 hour ride when I need scheduled service which would be about the same for you. A very good bunch of people that will take care if your baby just like you would.
Check all the forums. There are lots of choices and lots of options to consider before you make your choice of trike conversion.
If you will send me an email address I would be happy to send you a worked up spreadsheet completed by a gentleman trying to make his decision just like you. He weighed cost, options, standard equip, weight, warranties, etc in his study and then made his choice.
My email address is. sperrysrv@gmail.com

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:32 am

After all of these posts what did you finally decide to do? Saw that you posted this on more than this forum.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”