tpms light on solid

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
BAdkins
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

tpms light on solid

Postby BAdkins » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:01 pm

this is not the light to monitor inflation.....it is the second light which monitors the system

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: tpms light on solid

Postby themainviking » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:37 am

Take it to the dealer. It is under warranty, right? My 2009 doesn't have the second warning light, so I cannot advise further.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

93aspy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 ABS

Postby 93aspy » Fri May 03, 2013 9:49 am

themainviking wrote:Take it to the dealer. It is under warranty, right? My 2009 doesn't have the second warning light, so I cannot advise further.

Really??? My 2009 has both warning lights... The system light (not the tire icon) being illuminated indicates a TPMS system malfunction - this generally is a dealer issue...

Les
4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

Darkside # 1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT-45
Honorary Wild Rhino 6/2014

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri May 03, 2013 10:57 am

There are some slight differences between U.S. 2009 - 2010 bikes and the rest of the worlds 2009 - 2010 bikes (GL1800s) The stereo's are different, the Navi's are different, and there just may be some warning lights that are different. That does not mean there are, only that I have never seen the warning light you refer to, so either it has never illuminated on my bike, or it does not exist on my bike. I still cannot advise on it because I have never seen it.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Cruiseman
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing

Postby Cruiseman » Fri May 03, 2013 7:46 pm

If it is the "TPMS" light on solid (red I think), it indicates that one of the sensors is not communicating with the receiver unit. It could be a dead battery in the wheel sensor (most likely), or a damaged sensor. These sometimes come on in cold weather and will correct themselves as the tires warm up a bit. I have had mine come on for no reason at all, then go back off after 30 minutes or so. I think it may be possible that some radio interference could occur in some areas.
GL1800 Maintenance DVDs

93aspy

Postby 93aspy » Sat May 04, 2013 9:36 pm

themainviking wrote:There are some slight differences between U.S. 2009 - 2010 bikes and the rest of the worlds 2009 - 2010 bikes (GL1800s) The stereo's are different, the Navi's are different, and there just may be some warning lights that are different. That does not mean there are, only that I have never seen the warning light you refer to, so either it has never illuminated on my bike, or it does not exist on my bike. I still cannot advise on it because I have never seen it.

Well, could be although I wouldn't expect the Canadian bikes to be all that much different... If in fact the light is there, you should see it when turning on the key and you should be able to see it's outline right next to the TPMS light... If it's not there, then I guess your bike is different... I would then refer you to your owners manual for the proper procedures to follow if that light is illuminating...

Les
4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

WOJCIECH
Motorcycle: GL 1800 2009
GL 1800 2009 trike Redwing

Postby WOJCIECH » Sun May 05, 2013 8:44 am

This topic has been! Search! changed the tire? wheel change ? search for defects from the moment you turn the lights TPMS.

Peteswing
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Double Darksider #856

Postby Peteswing » Mon May 06, 2013 8:38 am

I have a 2010 and my light is also on haven't taken in to the dealer yet because I am a darksider.Not sure what the dealer would say about car tire. Was also told it may be the battery in the wheel sensor. Mine has been out about three months,did a reboot of the ECM may just try disconnecting the battery to see if that helps.

93aspy

Postby 93aspy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Peteswing wrote:I have a 2010 and my light is also on haven't taken in to the dealer yet because I am a darksider.Not sure what the dealer would say about car tire. Was also told it may be the battery in the wheel sensor. Mine has been out about three months,did a reboot of the ECM may just try disconnecting the battery to see if that helps.

For what it's worth, my dealer will not work on a bike that has a car tire on it... I have no dog in this fight so I am just passing this on for information... One if our MC members is a darksider and took his bike into the dealer for some work and the dealer said he would have to put a motorcycle tire on the bike before they worked on it... The work being done was steering head bearings and new triple tree from a 2012... Just passing this onfo on - all dealers may not be the same as mine...

Les
4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:35 am

The Honda dealer should have a machine that will reset the TPMS Sensors to the bike sensor control. In order to reset the system, you must remove the seat and the dealer has to install a jumper before resetting the sensors. This would have to be done anytime you replace the sensors or possibly if the sensor battery goes dead.
Just had this done on my 2009 because a independent mechanic broke both sensors in the tires, and destroyed the rear wheel, and they needed to be replaced. Make sure your mechanic knows how to dismount and mount tire on wheels with TPMS. It is a costly mistake if they brake the sensors. Each sensor is around $200.00, depending on how good a price you can get from the dealer. My whole tire change ended up costing $900.05 plus the tires. Having to take him to court to get reimbursed for his mistakes.

I did find that the tire gauge I have reads right on the money, and some people that have done a bike check have told me the tire PSI was 3 to 4 PSI to high. You need to have your tire gauge checked with a calibrated tire gauge to make sure if it is reading correct.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

buztz
Motorcycle: 2013 GOLDWING GL1800L

Postby buztz » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:20 pm

BAdkins wrote:this is not the light to monitor inflation.....it is the second light which monitors the system

Take it to the dealer. When the TPMS light comes on and stays on it means there is a problem with the wheel sensor, it may need to be reset or it may need replacing.

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:24 pm

buztz wrote:
BAdkins wrote:this is not the light to monitor inflation.....it is the second light which monitors the system

Take it to the dealer. When the TPMS light comes on and stays on it means there is a problem with the wheel sensor, it may need to be reset or it may need replacing.

I agree with the above if your ride is still under Warranty.

You may have noticed that I asked questions regarding the TPMS batteries. When I installed new chrome rims I had the old TPMS removed only to find once re-installed on the new rims they wouldn't work.

After reading all of the literature, removing the wheels, purchasing and installing two new TPM sensors (both were found defective) which included the TPM Tool (VTEQ-15), I still couldn't get the system to work.

Listening to a friend who had the Tire Guard system I turned off the Honda Dash Light and went with the Tire Guard System. It not only warns you of a Low Tire, it tells you the temperature and which tire has the problem. The cost of the whole system was less that one OEM TPMS. On top of this I can change the batteries in the Tire Guard Sensor myself without removing the wheels which are available at any store that sells watch, hearing aid batteries.

Where I have two rides, if I am going on a long ride I can transfer the system to 2nd ride in about 10 minutes.

To me it was a no brainer.

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:14 am

I have a '13 purchased new in April of '14. The TPMS has stayed on solid twice since I owned it for about an hour each time. I am a darksider but the dealer put it on. (The '08 I traded in had a CT on it. They wanted it put on the new bike and the new bike's rear put on the trade in. They said they couldn't sell my trade-in with the CT on it). So if the tpms comes on again I am going to take it back to them with the CT on it; they were the one who put it on. As a matter of fact they have since mounted a new CT for me.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”