anti dive valve

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

anti dive valve

Postby hankorhann » Wed May 01, 2013 7:58 pm

i could use some advice on this valve my ride has become hard and my left front shock is damp all of a sudden i heard of kind of fix but not sure and does it work thanks

hankorhann

Motorcycle: 2004 goldwing 1800

Re: anti dive valve

Postby tfdeputydawg » Wed May 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Your description sounds like your ADV is locked up and you've blown your left fork seal!
I prefer to fix the ADV as it's there for a reason. Removing your front fender will give you access to it. Take the 2 screws out. If the plunger is extended(or not) clean it. Look in the lower half to make sure the plate inside is not locked in the depressed position.
Having said all that, the modification you're looking for can be accomplished several ways. One of the easiest is to drill a hole in a nickel and place it between the 2 halves of the ADV assembly.
tfdeputydawg

Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby themainviking » Wed May 01, 2013 8:37 pm

And if you would like a slightly more professional Anti Dive disable fix, you can obtain it here:

http://www.motomfg.com/GL1800_Goldwing_ ... p/gl-1.htm

My opinion of the anti dive differs from others. I think it is there to cover for a weak front end on GL1800 bikes. Rebuilding the front forks with either Progressive or Traxxion springs or even better yet - the Progressive Monoshock kit gives a far better feel and action to the suspension of our bikes.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage
themainviking

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby thrasherg » Wed May 01, 2013 10:42 pm

themainviking wrote:And if you would like a slightly more professional Anti Dive disable fix, you can obtain it here:

http://www.motomfg.com/GL1800_Goldwing_ ... p/gl-1.htm

My opinion of the anti dive differs from others. I think it is there to cover for a weak front end on GL1800 bikes. Rebuilding the front forks with either Progressive or Traxxion springs or even better yet - the Progressive Monoshock kit gives a far better feel and action to the suspension of our bikes.

I also share this opinion, after replacing the fork springs with Traxxion springs and disabling the anti dive, my bike rides far better than stock, particularly under breaking.. I think Honda dropped the ball when fitting the adv, I remember in the early 90s when all the sports bikes had ADVs, but it was a fad that passed us bye. Replace the springs with ones of the correct tension and disable the ADV..

Gary
thrasherg

Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800, 2004 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine & CRF450X, CRF230

Postby Red Ron » Thu May 02, 2013 7:41 am

I did the nickel trick. 7/32" hole is the size to drill in the middle of the nickel. (1/4" will work if you don't have a 7/32" bit). Made a huge difference in mine. About 3 years later one of my seals began to weep a little anyway. I did my version of the sealmate product. I took a thin strip of plastic and trimmed it into kind of a "hook" shape. (Some use an old strip of 35mm camera film, this gives you some idea of the thickness the plastic strip has to be). It didn't leak any more. Later I did end up installing progressive springs and I like the ride a little better than with just doing the nickel trick alone.

Red Ron

Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Return to GL1800 Information & Questions