Best extra lights to be installed in the original mounting

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
datorexpert
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing 1800A -05 (European model)

Best extra lights to be installed in the original mounting

Postby datorexpert » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:59 am

Hi!
I want to install extra lights in the original lower cowl like http://www.kuryakyn.com/Kimages/item/Ma ... 2232-1.jpg.
I want the best possible light and so far I´m choosing between Kuryakyn 2232 and Big Bike Parts 52-805. Anyone knows which are the best or if there is anyone else that is even better?
Regards,
/Thomas

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Re: Best extra lights to be installed in the original mounti

Postby gareva1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:39 am

I've got the big bike parts ones...I like them, and I really like that I can buy replacement lenses for them if a rock should crack the light casing...big bike sells the replacement lenses for around $10, as opposed to buying a new set of fog lights for over $300...I'd check to see if kury would sell you replacement lenses, because to me that would be a dealbreaker.

The next set of lights I'm going to put on my bike are the PIAA driving lights:

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/700_ ... A%2Fmfg%2F

I borrowed a friend's bike that had these and was absolutely amazed at the difference...it covers the space difference between the high and low beam.

datorexpert

Postby datorexpert » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:03 am

Yeap, I have heard the lights from Big Bike parts 52-805 gives a better light then the ones from Kuryakyn 2232. Anyone that can confirm this?

datorexpert

Postby datorexpert » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:08 pm

I just received an email from Kuryakyn:
"The replacement lense number is 610008, price is 24.99 each. This does include a new bulb also. This may be ordered by phone from us or your local Kuryakyn dealer."

gareva1 wrote:I've got the big bike parts ones...I like them, and I really like that I can buy replacement lenses for them if a rock should crack the light casing...big bike sells the replacement lenses for around $10, as opposed to buying a new set of fog lights for over $300...I'd check to see if kury would sell you replacement lenses, because to me that would be a dealbreaker.

The next set of lights I'm going to put on my bike are the PIAA driving lights:

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/700_ ... A%2Fmfg%2F

I borrowed a friend's bike that had these and was absolutely amazed at the difference...it covers the space difference between the high and low beam.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Big Bikes only seem to sell fog lights for the lower cowl, what about driving lights that fit in the bottom cowl? I ride for pleasure and don't need fog lights (will take the car if it gets foggy!!) but would love some extra light from a set of driving lights fitted in the lower cowl (I agree the location, low down is not optimum) but every little helps.

Gary

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:02 am

Gary, if you check out the post I made about PIAA lights, that's probably what you are looking for.

Really, I run my fog lights all the time---creating that triangle of light between the center headlights and the outboard fog lights adds visibility in traffic, its the same reason that railroad trains typically have 3 lights. The fog light could also be considered a cornering light, since the fixed fairing of the wing doesnt light up to the sides as you are turning (obviously becuase the headlight doesn't move as you move the handlebars like on a touring harley or a cruiser with a moveable fairing)---the fog light is good for that if nothing else.

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:10 am

datorexpert wrote:I just received an email from Kuryakyn:
"The replacement lense number is 610008, price is 24.99 each. This does include a new bulb also. This may be ordered by phone from us or your local Kuryakyn dealer."

Well, I know for sure that the replacement lenses for the BBP lights are half that price, and I've had to replace one in less than a year. There's not too much of a price difference between the two brands I don't think, and I can vouch for the BBP---I definitely notice a difference when the lights are on vs. off.

For around the same money, did you know hondaline makes fog lights for their bike?

The halogen version is part number 08V31-MCA-100 , and can be gotten for less than 300 (of course the show chrome/bbp version is only $165)

If you want bright, there is also a high intensity LED version from hondaline, and their part number is: 08V31-MCA-100D

NRALifeMbr
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Postby NRALifeMbr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:31 am

I have seen these in action and they are awesome ----> http://www.electricalconnection.com/dri ... 0-perf.htm
If I was going to spend money to upgrade my standard Honda lights, these would be it.

NRA

datorexpert

Postby datorexpert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:39 am

Hi Guys!
I´m going for the lights from Big Bike Parts art.nr 52-805 for $399. I will let you know my comments when I have installed them.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”