2008 Steering Head bearing access?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
ediehl
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

2008 Steering Head bearing access?

Postby ediehl » Tue May 14, 2013 12:58 pm

I have always had a nervous front end on my '08 Wing (bought with less than 1,000 miles on the clock, and now it's up around 12K), and I decided to install the Progressive Monotube fork kit, and while I was at it the All Balls tapered steering head bearings. I have a digital GL1800 service manual that I acquired on line a couple years ago, but I don't see what year(s) it relates to. What has me puzzled is that once I removed the instrument module and associated bodywork, and the handlebars, and the big nut on top of the triple clamp, I realize that I cannot slide the triple clamp all the way off, because there is a bracket blocking it. It is a raised, forked bracket that I believe is where the rear of the instrument module attachs, but I see no mention of that bracket in my manual, or in Fred Harmon's very helpful tutorial on the subject, nor do the pictures from either of those sources show the bracket. Both sources say to just lift off the upper triple clamp once the big nut on top is off (and of course the forks removed), but in my case the triple clamp can only be lifted a fraction of an inch before jamming on the mystery bracket.

Is this bracket found only on later model years of the Wing? It appears to me that I'll have to remove the rest of the black dash, around the key and containing the small top-opening storage compartments, to be able to get at and presumably remove the offending bracket. Any advice?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: 2008 Steering Head bearing access?

Postby themainviking » Tue May 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Yes, that is what you will need to do. Also, just above the key position, under the plastic, is a connector that is very tough to disconnect. It requires small fingers which are quite strong.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

ediehl

Postby ediehl » Tue May 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks much! I believe I've seen the connector that you refer to, but curiously, nothing is plugged into it (unless I already unplugged something and forgot about it ;-)

crackercap
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda GoldWing 1800

Postby crackercap » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:09 pm

That is the same problem I ran into when removing the triple tree, I could not get the top piece of the triple tree off for this same bracket. I received some helpful advice from others on this forum. You probably have NAVIGATION and this fork of part of the mount. I removed most of the top assembly to get at that bolt that holds the forked bracket. Try this= Remove the rubber grommets on the bracket and you may be able to get at them 2 bolts, be careful not to drop them. Use a magnet as a precaution. I wish I had this info earlier, it would have saved me a lot of grief. I hope this helps..Ron

ediehl

Postby ediehl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks for the response. I ended up removing the top 'shelter' (bodywork) and various other bits and pieces so that I could remove the bottom stay for the instrument cluster that was blocking the removal of top triple clamp. With a fair bit of wrenching and cussing I got it all apart and my tapered roller bearings installed, and now no more head shake on the Wing!

Thx, Eric

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”