Cruise control issue

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Kriboganteng
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Cruise control issue

Postby Kriboganteng » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:30 am

Hi, i just bought a 2005 wing, and i got a problem with activating the cruise control, does it need some speed condition or anything else? because when i was at 80kmh, then i push the cruise control button, the LED indicator of cruise control is on, but nothing happen with my bike, as i loose the throttle the speed also decreasing, somebody get any idea of that?
Thx

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Cruise control issue

Postby themainviking » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:27 am

After pushing in the cruise control button, you need to set the speed with the decel/set button (second down button). The top button is resume/accelerate. You only need to set once each time the bike is started, and then you can use the resume/accel button to resume the control or accelerate, and the set/decel button to decelarate. You can actually drive the bike on these two buttons. Oh, by the way, the bike will probably drop about five kms before picking up to the speed you set. It will do this each time you resume also. This is a bit irritating, and it can be adjusted for less drop off. Did you get an owners manual with the bike? If not, let me know, and I will give you a link to download one.

Hope this helps. More Q's, just ask.

Viking
Last edited by themainviking on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:30 am

I Kriboganteng"

As you can see you have a three button push, for set the speed you push lower right button when you're at the speed you want to roll (set)
After pushing set, let the handle gas, it'll keep the speed you ask.

FlyBoy2121

Kriboganteng wrote:Hi, i just bought a 2005 wing, and i got a problem with activating the cruise control, does it need some speed condition or anything else? because when i was at 80kmh, then i push the cruise control button, the LED indicator of cruise control is on, but nothing happen with my bike, as i loose the throttle the speed also decreasing, somebody get any idea of that?
Thx
Attachments

Keith Owens
Motorcycle: 2002 GW trike 1800cc Motor Trike kit

Postby Keith Owens » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:48 pm

The cruise on my GW is right on the money

Kriboganteng

Postby Kriboganteng » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:37 am

themainviking wrote:After pushing in the cruise control button, you need to set the speed with the decel/set button (second down button). The top button is resume/accelerate. You only need to set once each time the bike is started, and then you can use the resume/accel button to resume the control or accelerate, and the set/decel button to decelarate. You can actually drive the bike on these two buttons. Oh, by the way, the bike will probably drop about five kms before picking up to the speed you set. It will do this each time you resume also. This is a bit irritating, and it can be adjusted for less drop off. Did you get an owners manual with the bike? If not, let me know, and I will give you a link to download one.

Hope this helps. More Q's, just ask.

Viking

that's help a lot, thank you very much, unfortunately the seller didn't give me the manual book, can you give me the link so i can download it :)

Kriboganteng

Postby Kriboganteng » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:40 am

FlyBoy2121 wrote:I Kriboganteng"

As you can see you have a three button push, for set the speed you push lower right button when you're at the speed you want to roll (set)
After pushing set, let the handle gas, it'll keep the speed you ask.

FlyBoy2121

Kriboganteng wrote:Hi, i just bought a 2005 wing, and i got a problem with activating the cruise control, does it need some speed condition or anything else? because when i was at 80kmh, then i push the cruise control button, the LED indicator of cruise control is on, but nothing happen with my bike, as i loose the throttle the speed also decreasing, somebody get any idea of that?
Thx

Thx, i got it very clearly :D :D

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:55 am

Kriboganteng wrote:
that's help a lot, thank you very much, unfortunately the seller didn't give me the manual book, can you give me the link so i can download it :)

I have PM'd you
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:13 pm

All read before is good guidance, but if Cruise won't set there are 2 conditions and several sensor switches that will preclude it engaging. First you must be in 4th or 5th gear and above around 35 mph. The swithces that allow you to take back control are foot and hand brake levers, clutch lever and the accelerator grip. If your levers are not cleaned and greased they may not be returning forward when not in use thus there switches are not pressed. If you tend to leave a little pressure on you foot brake the swith there will also disable cruise. Lastly if you twist the throttle to decel it will release the cruise. Of course you can accelerate and over-ride the cruise setting. Contact cleaner on the switches for the levers and remove, clean and grease the lever hinge pins. You can hear the switches click as you slowly squeeze release the levers, as I recal there are two switches on each lever. If you cannot start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in start on the left side. (also check the two wires on the back of the clutch lever - if one is off you can't start in gear either).

If your wing has not had the cruise control cable adjusted it will like decelerate about 4-5 mph before it activates. That can be adjusted if you remove the shelter. The cable adjustment tube is atop the mess under the shelter and about 4 or 5 inches back from the ingition key cylinder. Simply loosen the lock nut and start the bike on its center stand and let it idle; next unscrew the cable end until you just hear the engine accelerate and then screw it back in about a half turn and set the lock nut.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”