Intercom system

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
mikem51
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Intercom system

Postby mikem51 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:57 am

My intercom system stopped working. I can hear radio, cb, weather, and turning on and off the intercom button. My problem is that my mic is not working on the front driver or rear passenger plugs. I have used two different helments on both plugs. The same problem in both. Mic does not work on intercom or cb. Is there a fuse that could have blown or something I am doing that has muted my mic.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Intercom system

Postby themainviking » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:01 pm

My intercom did just that when I first got the bike. I told my dealership, who made an appointment for me a month down the road. By the time my appointment arrived, the intercom was working again, so what can I tell you? Be a bit patient, and then try it again. It may start working.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

mikem51

Postby mikem51 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Hope so. We are getting ready for a trip to Sturgis and it would be nice to transmit on the CB and to riding friends. It's weird, I haven't used it in a while and haven't done anything to it that I know of and my wife and I were heading to bike night last night and we plugged in our helmets and it was not working.

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:07 pm

you state you tried two different helmets but did you use different cords ? I had the same problem twice now I find some how I keep braking a wire in the cord. I replace cord about every other year because of this.. Sally

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Also, you say it would be nice to transmit on the CB. Is the transmit also out on the CB? This would indicate a problem common to both the intercom and the CB, which would preclude the sort of self repairing situation I mentioned. Go with the checks on the cords, as Sally indicated.

ImageImage

mikem51

Postby mikem51 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Each helmet has its own cord. So unless both cord went out at the same time I don't think that is my problem. I don't use my helmet with headset in it unless we travel together so it gets used a lot less. I have replaced both our sets a year ago because of the pig tail on her head set broke and mine was about to. These look to be in great shape.

bayoudave
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Motortrike

Postby bayoudave » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:36 am

To rule out the headset/cord use your headset/cord on another bike that you know the intercom is working on and see if it works there. If so you know it's not the headset/cord.
2002 Goldwing Motortrike Spider
2007 PiggyBacker Trailer
2009 Time Out Deluxe Camper
2006 Arctic Fox Toy Hauler

CMA
PGR

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Postby wing rider 2012 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:43 am

If you have ruled out the headset cords then I'd try and reset the audio system. Remove the negative wire from the battery for about a minute, then reconnect the negative lead to the battery, turn on the audio system, you have to restore all your presets, check the I-com and CB for audio, if this doesn't do the trick then I'd be looking for something common to both audio paths (driver and passenger) it could be a poor or dirty connector at the audio controller on the top shelter.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

mikem51

Postby mikem51 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:31 pm

I didn't think of that. I will try that when I get home and I will let you know if it worked. Thanks

mikem51

Postby mikem51 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:24 pm

I think I have a different problem everybody. I have tried everything everyone said to do with the exception of trying both of our helmets on a bike that we know works. I found out today that my mic works but I have to turn the intercom volume all the way up and we can barely hear each other and that's if we cup the mic in our hands. I am open for any new ideas and I am still going to try testing our helmets and cords.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:28 am

Okay, have you tried setting the volume of your intercom, or checking to see if it is muted? Do you have an owners manual? If so, the audio systems starts on page 97 and the following pages show how to adjust volumes for different items in the system. You need to push the volume button on the radio to access the other items that can have their volume changed, such as intercom. There is also a position on the volume knob that allows muting of the intercom. It would be an ON/OFF selection. Perhaps one or more of these settings is inappropriate for your needs.

To get to the settings for intercom and intercom mute, you must have your headset plugged in. Otherwise all you will adjust will be speaker volume. So, put on your headset, turn on the intercom, so it shows on your display, then press the volume knob till you get one past the intercom volume setting so you can check if it is on mute. After ensuring it is not muted, allow it to reset and press the volume knob till you arrive at the intercom volume setting, and set the volume. This is directly from the owners manual for my 2009.

Hope this helps
If you already did this, sorry for wasting your time
Viking

ImageImage

mikem51

Postby mikem51 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:32 am

I read the book on the intercom in my manual and the way I read it the intercom muting is to mute or lower the radio or what ever you have playing when you use the mic to talk. I still tried moving it both diretions and no change. It didn't even mute the radio when when I would use the mic. It does seem the mics are muted somewhere but I can't figure out where they would be muted at.

mikem51

Postby mikem51 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:19 pm

I want to thank everybody for all the help you sent me. I am happy to say that my intercom system is now working. I must have had some corrosion built up on a pin in the drivers plug. I sprayed WD-40 in it and used a small, pipe like cleaning, tool that I found in an old toolbox of mine on each pin and blew it out with my air compressor. It works and I am happy. Thanks again for all the input from everybody and hopefully I can help somebody else one day.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”