tpms reset

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
bob dirt
Motorcycle: 2012 goldwing

tpms reset

Postby bob dirt » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:10 pm

I have a 2012 GL1800. I just replaced the rear tire and wheel. I bought the wheel brand new from a guy who triked his 2012. I bought a ATEQ VT 15. Only instruction was to hold it horizontal next to the tire at valve stem and press the left button and release. The light comes on for half a minute and goes off but the TPMS light stays on. I tried it with the ignition on and off. Is there a procedure to reset this?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Peteswing
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Double Darksider #856

Re: tpms reset

Postby Peteswing » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 pm

May have to be reset by your dealer. Make sure you check your tire pressures, sometimes when you ride and the tires warm up the lights will go out. You can also try a ECM reset do a search on it. Start your wing from cold first, wait until you here your cooling fans then turn the bike off. This will reset the EMC helped me with the blinking TPMS but not with the solid light. May have a weak or dead wheel sensor battery. I need to mine into the dealer to have it checked good luck

bob dirt

Postby bob dirt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm

thanks for the reply. already figured it out. it's the same as the 2009 and 2010.

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Postby baumedagn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:53 pm

So, if you don't mind, what was the fix? I'm about to do the same, change my tire/rim from one off a bike that has been triked. What will I need to do to reset the sensor? Thanks

bob dirt

Postby bob dirt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:52 pm

can't remember the exact procedure, but I found it on GL1800riders forum. It was very easy but you have to follow it exactly...

I printed it out and store it with the tool.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:42 am

bob dirt wrote:can't remember the exact procedure, I printed it out and store it with the tool.

So for the poor fella who really wants to know, could you take a snapshot of it or copy it and post it? That would be right neighborly of you.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Postby baumedagn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:16 am

I just successfully registered my Tire pressure sensors on my 2012 GW. I needed to do this because I installed a new rear wheel and tire from a trike takeoff of another 2012 wing. I thought I would document my experience. This information is summarized from the 2012 Goldwing Service Manual. It applies to Goldwings manufactured 2009-2012.

Tools needed:

ATEQ VT-15 available from TireRack.com for about $100.

Fork terminal (or paper clip) to short the connector.
Name: fork-terminal.jpg Views: 2179 Size: 1.1 KB
I used a commonly available fork terminal because it fits perfectly in the connector. There is a special Honda tool for this called the Honda SCS Service Connector 07WPZ-0010100 for about $20.

1. Place the bike on the center stand.
2. Rotate both tires so that the valve stems are at six o'clock.
3. remove the seat.
4. remove the TPMS short connector from the boot. This is a red connector located aft on the left frame rail. Take off the dummy cap to expose the two connector terminals.
5. add air to both tires to put the sensors in programming mode. This requires that the tire pressures be at least 51 psi. I used 55 psi. After adding air, wait for at least 1 minute for the sensors to go into programming mode.
6. place the VT-15 tool next to the front wheel sensor. I placed the VT-15 on a block of wood about 1 inch off the ground and within 6 inches of the front sensor.
7. turn on the ignition, then within 15 seconds insert the fork terminal in the short connector.
8. turn on the VT-15 (click left button). The nice thing about the VT-15 is that you don't have to hold the button on, it stays on so you can be standing to look at the TPMS indicator light on the dash.
9. in 3 or 4 seconds the TPMS indicator light should begin blinking at 1 Hz. The front sensor is now registered successfully.
10. within 1 minute point the VT-15 at the rear sensor. The TPMS indicator light will begin to blink at 3 Hz. The rear sensor is now successfully registered.
11. remove the fork terminal from the short connector.
12. turn off the ignition.

You're Done.

Now bleed the air pressure down to 36 front/ 41 rear. Put the short connector back in the boot and install seat.
Important: Go for a 5 minute ride to get the sensors out of programming mode.

This is a repost from GL1800 Riders

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:10 am

Glad to see you located the info, and thank you very much for posting it. Right Neighborly of you.

ImageImage

bob dirt

Postby bob dirt » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:30 pm

themainviking wrote:
bob dirt wrote:can't remember the exact procedure, I printed it out and store it with the tool.

So for the poor fella who really wants to know, could you take a snapshot of it or copy it and post it? That would be right neighborly of you.

I was on my way out the door for a 9 day adventure...just got back. Didn't feel neighborly at the time. I did what I could...better than any advice that I got here!

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:49 am

bob dirt wrote:I did what I could...better than any advice that I got here![/b]

Sorry bout that, but it seems that no one here had the answer. Maybe next time you need some help, somebody here will be able to help you. We, as a collective, do not know all, but we do know quite a lot. Hope your adventure was a good one.

ImageImage

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks for the post Bob. I am sure it will come in handy after I install my chrome wheels.

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:40 am

dragon2000 wrote:Thanks for the post Bob. I am sure it will come in handy after I install my chrome wheels.

Steve

It was actually baumedagn who posted the reset procedure. Bob was not feeling neighborly enough to post it at the time. :D

ImageImage

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:50 pm

I know it is kind of late to post on this subject but I had to have new TPMS monitors installed after a mechanic broke both front and rear sensors while changing tires. I took it to my Honda dealer and they have a unit that will set the monitors correctly. It is a unit that had been set with very sensitive instruments to be sure that work as their supposed to. Not sure if you can do the same thing with out that unit.
They only need to be reset or calibrated when you replace the sensors. They must be set to your bikes system.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:21 pm

2008retiredplb wrote:I know it is kind of late to post on this subject but I had to have new TPMS monitors installed after a mechanic broke both front and rear sensors while changing tires. I took it to my Honda dealer and they have a unit that will set the monitors correctly. It is a unit that had been set with very sensitive instruments to be sure that work as their supposed to. Not sure if you can do the same thing with out that unit.
They only need to be reset or calibrated when you replace the sensors. They must be set to your bikes system.

They call this process "calibration" so that it sounds much more technical, and to dissuade you from trying to do it yourself. But in reality, the process has absolutely nothing to do with calibrating anything - the units are calibrated at the factory and never need to be recalibrated.

Each TPMS unit transmits a unique digital code along with a number representing the pressure it is sensing. Some also transmit a temperature reading. The bike (or car) computer needs to "learn" the unique digital codes being transmitted by the sensors, so that it knows that code 1234567 is the front wheel, and code 987654 is the rear wheel (for instance). If you get new sensors, you now need to tell the computer that code 554332 is the front wheel, and 66789 is the rear wheel. Similarly, when tires are rotated on a car, the process is done so that it knows which sensor is on which wheel.

The way this process is done differs depending on the manufacturer, but in no case does it involve anything even remotely resembling calibration, and in most cases it doesn't even involve any special equipment. You simply need to know how to put the vehicle's computer in "learn" mode, then do whatever to the tires (usually deflating and inflating each one in turn) to identify each sensor to the computer.

marvincshepard

Postby marvincshepard » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:35 am

Thanks for the post. Cycle gear broke my TPMS sensor for rear tire right before a ride. So I carried it back watched them remove the tire and there it was in pieces. I never rolled the tire prior to installation just carried. They are taking care of it. I purchased a TPMS trigger from Tire Rack online they actually called that day to verify what vehicle it was for. They couldn't verify it would work on a goldwing but I said all the info I have read said it would. Got it the next day. Followed the instructions posted here and all is well. Most aggravating part is the seat removal. Think I'm gonna do like one of the posts said run some wires to the side panel to make it quicker since I have two rear tires and rims. Thanks again.
Marvin (Shep) Shepard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:46 am

marvincshepard wrote:Thanks for the post. Cycle gear broke my TPMS sensor for rear tire right before a ride. So I carried it back watched them remove the tire and there it was in pieces. I never rolled the tire prior to installation just carried. They are taking care of it. I purchased a TPMS trigger from Tire Rack online they actually called that day to verify what vehicle it was for. They couldn't verify it would work on a goldwing but I said all the info I have read said it would. Got it the next day. Followed the instructions posted here and all is well. Most aggravating part is the seat removal. Think I'm gonna do like one of the posts said run some wires to the side panel to make it quicker since I have two rear tires and rims. Thanks again.

Can you post the part number, or a link to the TPMS module that you got from Tire Rack, so we can add it to the aftermarket cross-reference list?

marvincshepard

Postby marvincshepard » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:05 am

ATEQ VT15 TIRE RACK 110.00
Attachments
It's 110.00
It's 110.00
Marvin (Shep) Shepard

Cajun1
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby Cajun1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:58 pm

I have had a TPM replaced by a local mechanic and we have been unable to get the light to stay out after programming following the instructions on this sight. The bike is a 2012 GL audio comfort. After reprogramming the light functions as it is supposed to but comes on after 10 miles. Reset several times with the same results. Any ideas. Thanks

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:35 am

Cajun1 wrote:I have had a TPM replaced by a local mechanic and we have been unable to get the light to stay out after programming following the instructions on this sight. The bike is a 2012 GL audio comfort. After reprogramming the light functions as it is supposed to but comes on after 10 miles. Reset several times with the same results. Any ideas. Thanks

Did the mechanic pair the TPMS sensor to the bike, it is done with a unit that plugs into the bike harness under the seat. It will tell them what the pressure in either tire is. I had mine done by my Honda shop and he was able to tell me exactly what the sensor was reading. (it told me that my cheap tire gauge is within one pound of his expensive unit) If your mechanic does not have that tool, then he may not know what the pressure is and it could be at correct pressure but the sensor is not paired to the bike system. It took longer to remove the seat than to set the sensors.

Don't know if that is the problem or not but it might be worth checking out. Or at least talk with a trusted Honda Certified mechanic.

I forgot to ask, is this the factory TPMS system or an aftermarket unit.
Last edited by 2008retiredplb on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cajun1

Postby Cajun1 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:40 am

Thanks will take the bike to Honda Dealership this morning and see if that works.

marvincshepard

Postby marvincshepard » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:06 am

They are also front and rear. One is set at 36 and one at 41. Cycle gear broke mine. They did pay to have it fixed. But it was a pain. I bought the reset tool from tire rack. Reset mine without a problem. I had them remove the tire install the sensor and I set it myself. They also are directional.
Marvin (Shep) Shepard

Cajun1

Postby Cajun1 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:25 pm

Went back to shop this morning and after research the mechanic consulted with Honda Dealership mechanic and he said the batteries in the rear tire sensor may be dead as there is a 4 year life on the lithium batteries. My bike is 4 yrs old. They have rear sensor ordered if that works all is well.
Can anyone verify the battery life?

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:54 am

Cajun1 wrote:Went back to shop this morning and after research the mechanic consulted with Honda Dealership mechanic and he said the batteries in the rear tire sensor may be dead as there is a 4 year life on the lithium batteries. My bike is 4 yrs old. They have rear sensor ordered if that works all is well.
Can anyone verify the battery life?

I do not know the life of them. But new sensors cost me $170 for each, plus dismounting the tire, to replace the sensors on my bike when they were broken. At that price every 4 years could cost almost as much as new tires. That might make a lot of people not want them on their bike.

I did a Google search on TPMS systems and found an article from Bridgestone explaining the different types of systems, Indirect TPMS and Direct TPMS.

Direct TPMS System, (I believe this is the type of system on the Goldwing).

This is what they say:
"Deliver actual tire pressure readings from inside the tire
Not prone to inaccuracies because of tire rotations or tire replacements
Simple resynchronization after tire rotation or tire replacements
Batteries inside the sensors usually last for about a decade."

Another way to check on this is to call American Honda customer service and ask them.

I also found a link to a Fred harmon Site about replacing the batteries in the TPMS on the Honda Goldwing. http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/09tiresensors
His are the same as I had on my 2009 until I made it a trike, changed the wheels and now I have no TPMS. Honda's factory TPMS will only do two wheels not three, according to American Honda.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”