CB audio input

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
firemedic510
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

CB audio input

Postby firemedic510 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 am

Hi folks!

I have an 08 GL1800. I want to route audio from a radio scanner through the CB audio input. I don't have a CB and am not getting one, so that seems the place to do this. I use the AUX input for my ipod (which works just fine). My questions are:

1. Does the CB audio "override" the other sources? So, when someone transmits, the CB audio comes in over the radio/aux etc, cutting that audio source off temporarily?
2. Anybody have a source for the CB connector harness, as to which pins/wires are the audio input?

I don't need to get fancy with this, just just want the scanner output audio to come in over the ipod (AUX) whenever something is transmitted on there.

I am a volunteer firefighter, and there is no good way to carry (or hear) my handheld radio on the bike when i am riding it. I would like to at least hear what is going on with my department when i am out. I am not looking for a way to wire in two-way coms, just using a plain-jane scanner to monitor the fire dept frequency and put that audio out to the bike.

Thanks!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: CB audio input

Postby thrasherg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:20 am

I don't know what the pin connections for the CB are, but my CB overides the music.

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 am

firemedic510 wrote:Hi folks!

I have an 08 GL1800. I want to route audio from a radio scanner through the CB audio input. I don't have a CB and am not getting one, so that seems the place to do this. I use the AUX input for my ipod (which works just fine). My questions are:

1. Does the CB audio "override" the other sources? So, when someone transmits, the CB audio comes in over the radio/aux etc, cutting that audio source off temporarily?
2. Anybody have a source for the CB connector harness, as to which pins/wires are the audio input?

I don't need to get fancy with this, just just want the scanner output audio to come in over the ipod (AUX) whenever something is transmitted on there.

I am a volunteer firefighter, and there is no good way to carry (or hear) my handheld radio on the bike when i am riding it. I would like to at least hear what is going on with my department when i am out. I am not looking for a way to wire in two-way coms, just using a plain-jane scanner to monitor the fire dept frequency and put that audio out to the bike.

Thanks!

I don't think you'll be able to just route the scanner through the cb input; there's a lot more to the integrated version, or else there would be lots of aftermarket cb units out there...there really isn't any way to do that just yet...I say just yet because this product is going to be available soon and will allow you to do what you're trying to do:

http://www.gl2way.com/

It will let you hook any radio source to the cb, which will do what you want.

In the short run, something like these would do it:

http://cellset.com/AuxSwitchSet2.html

There's also a device on their site called a RADar overRide...it does the same thing but is battery powered and may eliminate power noise issues without having to buy a power filter for the bike..it's the last item on the page:
http://cellset.com/Motorcycleitems.html

This would do it too:
http://www.mixitproducts.com/

With all of these solutions, your audio from the scanner would be coming through the aux channel, not the cb...when the gl2way unit comes out, you can push through that cb circuit.

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:32 am

Oh, also...what model handheld do you have? I thought of something else, but it's dependent on the model of the handset.

firemedic510

Postby firemedic510 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:48 am

I have a PRO-94 handheld, or an older bearcat bcs350. either one is fine. The pro is a trunking one, so i can add the sherriff's office dispatch in there as well. the bcs would be just the fire dept frequency, as it doesn't trunk.

firemedic510

Postby firemedic510 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:55 am

It looks like that auxswitchset2 is just the ticket. that would do exactly what i need as far as audio inputs go. that only leaves me pulling power to the trunk. I can just pull that from the fuse box (i assume there is a switched plug available) to power the scanner up when the bike is on.

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:56 am

U sure you'd never want 2way comm? Not sure what 2way device you would use on duty, but I bet kennedy could rig you up a connector to use with this:

http://cellset.com/frset.html

with the pro-94, pretty much any of the links I put in the previous post would cover you...it's just a headphone jack connector for audio. The RADar overRide would probably be my pick, as you could put it in the left pocket and run the scanner audio to it...the mp3 player is probably already there as well as the aux wire, so you'd only be running one extra wire to complete your project.

firemedic510

Postby firemedic510 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:02 am

We carry Kenwood TK-380's for the handheld radios. The radio doesn't have an audio jack on it, per se. I assume there is some sort of sexy interface connector that would work (similar to what the radio is programmed with). We use UHF for comms, so any old scanner will work. I have ridden with the scanner sitting in the pocket playing through it's own speaker, but it is too hard to hear over the sound of Skynryd (haha) while I am riding. That's why the need for decent integration.

I am not to worried about trying to talk on it, just at least know what is going on. If I am in our area, and reasonably close, I would respond, just that no one would know I was coming.

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:12 am

Then I think the RAD RIDE is for you...it will be the cheapest and the simplest way to get the mp3 overridden by the scanner.

salyzyn
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby salyzyn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:40 pm

gareva1 wrote:when the gl2way unit comes out, you can push through that cb circuit.
Looks like they are shipping units, there appears to be a long waiting list ...

I have a CB & FRS radio connected, can control each independently. Scanner connection would be a no-brainer, and could co-exist with the CB & FRS since it has a third receive-only (no PTT control that is) input for GPS or Cellphone. It will even turn off the power to the scanner when you turn off the CB from the Audio Unit!

I connected my iPod to the third input, it muted my audio unit while music was playing, then unmuted when the iPod output was in between songs. It was not perfect, low-volume classical music had troubles tripping the carrier detector. Was not designed for music (or stereo, it mixes the left and right into mono for the signal sent to the audio unit) from this input, so this was merely a test of this third input.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”