GL1800 recalls: Overheat and brake

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
lcshepp
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 and 5 others

GL1800 recalls: Overheat and brake

Postby lcshepp » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi everybody,

I have a 2002 GL1800 and I missed the deadline on the overheating problem. Can anyone point me at a document for the solution to that problem? Is there a TB for it? I would like to try to fix it myself or have my mechanic fix it as I get into the appropriate situation every once in a while and am concerned about long term damage to the bike from it.

Also, I have been trying to get info from Honda (no response to two letters) about the recent brake recall. I have no decent access to a dealer and intend to pay my mechanic to fix the problem but first, I need to get the details on what the fix is... Is there a TB for that one too?

TIA for any info on these.

Leland

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: GL1800 recalls: Overheat and brake

Postby themainviking » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:30 pm

First, to get your mind at ease on the brake recall. The possibility of needing something fixed with this recall is about 8% or less. The secondary master cylinder, located on the left side of the front wheel, has an arm going into it from below, which is attached to the brake cylinder. If the arm enters the secondary master cylinder at an exaggerated angle, you have a problem. If it is more straight with only a very slight angle, then you do not have one of the bikes that needs repair.

Now to the overheating. I do not think any of the bikes overheated to the point that it created a possibility of damage. At low speeds, (around 15 to 20 mph) there is not enough air flow through the venting system to cool the engine. When the fans cut in at that speed, they do no good, as there is enough air flow to neutralize them. At lower speeds, or standing still, the fans are acceptable at cooling, and at speeds above 20 to 25, the air flow is enough to keep the engine cool.

I do not believe, if it is covered under a recall, that you can be denied the repair, if one is required, no matter how long it has been. The recalls for all GL1800s can be found here, and details are available if you select a year of motorcycle. I do not see a "recall" per se for your bike, for overheating.

http://www.recallowl.com/Vehicle+Recall ... NDA/GL1800
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Blue1Oldie
Motorcycle: GL1200
VT1100
CX650

Postby Blue1Oldie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:01 pm

Just going on memory, the 1800's recall was for the overheating was corrected with a "re-map" of the CPU?? It changed the timing of something. Not sure if all 1st & 2nd yr. bikes had this recall but if the above website has VIN numbers, that might give you a good idea. If 2nd owner...and the bike was never done...you may have to pay a Honda shop to do this procedure.

B10

lcshepp
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 and 5 others

Postby lcshepp » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:55 am

I found the literature on both recalls on this site. The one for the brakes contains no useful information. I will check the arm on mine; thanks for the tip.

Regarding the overheating, I spent an hour and a half going through Portland, OR rush hour last weekend on my way from California to Washington state with the temp at or above the hot mark. So far mine shows no damage outwardly (runs fine, smooth, quiet, normal mileage and power, etc.) but I can't believe that that won't cause damage long term. It has happened several times when I have gotten into start/stop traffic on the freeway but this was the worst one - it lasted longer and the ambient temperature was hotter so the gauge on the GL was hotter. In the past, I had not actually gotten over the Hot mark; this time I did - a number of times.

The listed fixes for the overheating start with a new ECM which I can't even find in the parts catalog. I'm guessing that the "PGM-FI UNIT" is probably it but am not sure. I couldn't find anything identified as an Engine Control Module per se. The list of changes includes possible cylinder head replacements, left radiator replacement, etc. It will be an expensive change if I do it...

I wrote to Honda on the overheating recall/fix and they informed me that I was too late and that the program had expired.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

Leland

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”