Seat is too low for me.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Rick's Ride
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Titanium Gold Wing
1996 Royal Star Tour Classic

Seat is too low for me.

Postby Rick's Ride » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Hello fellow Wing Riders! I have finally joined your ranks after a 34 year wait. I rode my Buddy's Wing in 1979 and have lusted after my own ever since and finally managed to pick up a 2006 GL-1800 in March.

I really love the bike, and my wife is in heaven in the comfy back seat of course. My issue is that I'm 6'3" tall and I find that the seat height is too low and my knees are quite a bit higher than my thighs when riding and this tends to get uncomfortable fast. I'm sure if I knew my way around this forum I would be able to find some people that have already come up with solutions to this problem, but this is my first post on here and I'm not real familiar with the search function yet. :oops:

Can someone please provide suggestions on how to deal with this. Are there some custom seat dealers in Central Alberta, or even seat pads or cushions that I can buy to help lift me up an extra inch or so? I tried riding this weekend with a little pillow under me and it really increased my comfort level, but it is not an ideal solution since the cloth pillow kept sliding around.

Thanks in advance for any help that you folks can provide! :D

Rick

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Seat is too low for me.

Postby themainviking » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:20 pm

There are gel pads available through most of the people who sell stuff for Goldwings, like Wing Stuff and Cyclemax. Your local vender of Kuryakyn and Parts Canada stuff has a warehouse in Calgary, which would be close for you to order stuff. I don't know if you have Canadian Tire stores out there, but if you do, they sell a nice cushion that might do for you however, none of these is a solution. They are just bandaids. Ultimate seats sell a King seat which moves the rider back a bit, which might do what you need. If you can get to any type of motorcycle rally where they are, they will let you try one for up to thirty days risk free. If it ain't for you, they will work with you to fix the problems or refund your money. They can be found here:

http://www.ultimateseats.ca/goldwingGL1800.html

Hope this is of some help.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Rick's Ride

Postby Rick's Ride » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks for the info, Viking. I will follow up and check out the gel seats, etc. and if I get a chance I will try and find a bike with an Ultimate Seat on it.

Thanks! I appreciate your help. :)

canadawing
Motorcycle: 2001 gl1800

Postby canadawing » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:55 pm

hi there, im in the same boat my cure was hiway pegs, might be the cheaper way to go

sonya and ric from edmonton

Rick's Ride

Postby Rick's Ride » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks canadawing. I do have pegs, and they do help somewhat but I'm also going to try and find a more comfortable seat as well. :)

BTW, what pegs are you using? :?:

Thanks!
Rick

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”