Brakes and heater warranty service questions.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Brakes and heater warranty service questions.

Postby yechave » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:43 am

We have an 06 with 23k miles. The brakes did not squeak for at least 17k miles.

New pads were installed at 20K. The brakes have been squeaking all the time since. It is very annoying at slow speed stopping.

After my comments about it to the dealer, they told me they just do that. I don't think so.
I really hate to second guess this shop, which has gone way over the top to take care of all our other warranty work the past four years.

Honestly, if the brakes do squeak, there is a problem, IMO.

Either it is a rotor issue, the pads or both. Would that be covered under the factory warranty?
The rotors are within factory specs.

Is there a known fix such as chamfering the leading edge of the pads?

Second, I thought I had intermittent seat and grip heater issues. Only once have I used the heaters, put the side stand down for a quick shut off, put the stand up and restarted the bike and not had heat. I have heard of at least five Wings that did have a defect in the system, but I don't use it enough to know if that is an issue or not.

I had no heaters until the next time I started the bike, and the key had been turned off.

My question on that is, does the key need to be cycled once the engine has been turned off, to get the seat and grip heaters to work again?

Thanks in advance!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Brakes and heater warranty service questions.

Postby themainviking » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:54 pm

I have an 09 with about the same miles, maybe a bit more, and the brakes have not had any work, and they do not squeak. You may need to deglaze the rotors and pads to get them to stop squeaking. It could also be that the pads were not the same as OEM. As far as the dealership saying "they just do that" it is pure B.S. I ride with fifty other guys with Goldwings, most of them GL1800s and they don't squeak.

As far as the heater needing a key off reset to work again, I really do not know, but it would not surprise me. A key off period of stopped time could allow a relay to reset itself, whereas an accidental stop such as putting down the side stand could just cause a relay to open. As long as your heaters are working again now, and continue to, I would not worry bout that.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:28 pm

yechave wrote:We have an 06 with 23k miles.
Either it is a rotor issue, the pads or both. Would that be covered under the factory warranty?

Wowser! How long is the warranty?
Longer than seven years? :shock:
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

yechave

Postby yechave » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:29 pm

As per not worrying about the heaters, we only have two weeks left of warranty. I am told it could be as much as $450, if it needs say a new seat, which they have been known for on this issue.

At about 10k, the passenger heater control was toast, and, we don't even use the bike much....

That warranty has saved us from a great deal of financial loss. It has been in the shop nearly as much as we used it.

The new pads are OEM, put on last July at 20k.

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:55 pm

I have an '09 with about 68K and the fronts have always done it. I am at the end of the second set right now. From what I read many wings do this. Many have had luck with using antisqueal products.

WOJCIECH
Motorcycle: GL 1800 2009
GL 1800 2009 trike Redwing

Postby WOJCIECH » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:01 am

if squeaking brakes, I think it's the brake pads, I use ferrodo and heating is reliable, can damage the hands, often lack the contacts, the connectors, all described on the service.

yechave

Postby yechave » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:00 am

Just informed by dealer the bike is finished with repairs. It has just under 24k miles on it.

The seat was replaced, this being the sixth Gold Wing I have heard of needing the seat replaced due to both grip and seat heater not working.

The OEM pads were replaced with another set. Time will tell if they work properly.

That is the last of our warranty. I would never buy one a Gold Wing without one, unless it was one hell of a deal.

Seven years of warranty and it needed every bit of that time to correct problems with it.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”