hids for low and hi beams

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
biker4life
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

hids for low and hi beams

Postby biker4life » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:39 pm

hello all i'm a new proud owner of a used 2006 gl1800 and have been reading all I can on this forum and have learned so much already thanks all. my question is I see how many have upgraded their low beams to hids but no one has talked about their hi beams being converted to hids also. I know that the hids will be much brighter than stock so maybe that's why no one has converted their hi beams also. am I correct that the low beams and hi beams are both the same wattage just angled differently? so can I use 4 hids of the same wattage or can I use the 35w hids in low and 55w hids in the hi beam? also how hard is it to change the hi beams, I have read and seen the videos on changing the low beams and those seem to be an easy task. sorry for the long multiple question and sorry if this has been covered already in another post.

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Re: hids for low and hi beams

Postby Sally » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:20 pm

I was talking with a company at Americade that sells these headlight conversion. From what I understand is if you do the low beams you will never use your high beams they are that much better.Also I find that people like to leave one side high or low factor in case something happens to the after markets so you still will have some lights..Also ran in to a gentalman that had his low beams done the day before and went riding that night his said it was amazing the differents.. Sally

charliektm400exc
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby charliektm400exc » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:55 pm

HID's can take a few seconds to warm up so if you put them in your Hi beams you will have to wait for them to warm up when you turn them on.

Everything I've read says your better off, light and safety wise, using projectors instead of just swapping the bulbs. (Yes I know they cost lots more)

biker4life
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby biker4life » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks all I had hids in my old bike but that one had 1 bulb for both so no much choice then. But now have 4 separate bulbs so more options. I will prob just start with hids on the low beams and decide later if I need them for the high beams as they do take a while to fully brighten up. Once again thanks to all who took their time to read and reply

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 pm

Every time HID bulbs are turned on/off, they lose a little brightness - essentially they wear out a little bit each time they are turned on. So the fact that high beams are turned on and off frequently, and that HID bulbs take time to warm up to full brightness, makes them impractical for high beam use.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”