New here and need help with an electrical problem

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
jsw127
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Goldwing

New here and need help with an electrical problem

Postby jsw127 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Hello

I have a 2010 GL1800 with too many buttons, LOL, Air Bag model. With dealer installed; CB, fog lights, passenger audio control and spoiler w/light.

The intercom comes and goes. The CB when keyed to speak sometimes has static in my headset and sometimes blows my fellow riders ears out. Changing the volume or channel on the radio/XM sometimes does not change. Audio from the radio/XM comes and goes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Love the bike but it would be more enjoyable if everything worked.

Thanks, Scott

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: New here and need help with an electrical problem

Postby themainviking » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:34 pm

This has been posted before, a couple of times, and each time it has come down to the dealer installed CB radio. I installed mine myself, and have had none of the problems you have described with the exception that the intercom ceased to function right after I purchased the bike (new) and began to function again after about two weeks. I have had no problems since then. Something you might check is the connecting cord from the headsets to the bike plug in. Sometimes, due to the cords being too short and so pulling all the time, they break down.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

jsw127

Postby jsw127 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks themainviking.

I switched cords and the problem persisted. Do you know the link(s) for the previous post(s)?

I was up your way last week. We circled Lake Eire, crossed over at Detroit traveled to Niagara Falls then back across the south side.

Scott

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:14 am

Is it still in warranty period? If so, shouldnt these problems be addressed by the dealer?

Without hearing it, have you got a loose earth or a bad earth connection? Just guessing.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

jsw127

Postby jsw127 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 am

Redial

I even purchased the premium extended warranty.

This has been on going since the cycle was almost new. I have stopped at several dealers while on rides and the first thing they say is to check the "clean grounds". I return to my local dealer and get told I need to bring it in while it is acting up. I have asked them to check the grounds and instead they disconnected the passenger audio control. They told me that Honda said that these had caused some problems. I didn't make it a block away and had a problem. Returned to the dealer to hear "it has XM, we have only sold one with XM". They did nothing.

I need a dealer that has a tech that knows the electrical systems on this cycle.

I am located in Southern Illinois does anyone have a dealer that knows their stuff?

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Get on to the area rep from Honda, and give him/her both barrels about the runaround you are getting. Maybe they can bring the dealer to heal!

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”