passenger wind

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2007 honda goldwing

passenger wind

Postby william2700 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:10 pm

Does anyone have a solution for the exccess amount of air felt by the passenger. My wife complains that it is worse than whan we where riding my triumph with no fiaring at all. I can't be the only guy who's wife is complained about this. As for me the driver there is hardly any wind and I would'nt mind a little more air around my legs because the heat that comes of these things is crazy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :roll:

Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: passenger wind

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:39 am

Your wife is one among thousands upon thousands!
You would think a company that designs, builds these machines would be smart enough to design it for the "calm air pocket" to include the passenger but, I digress!
Long story short, to make my 5'8" tall wife as comfy as possible(remember, it is a motorcycle) and in order of importance(IMHO):
1. Baker hand wings(mounts under the mirrors and can be opened in hot weather)
2. F4+4 Windshield w/vent(I'm 6'2") and don't mind looking through the shield. Suggest the F4 because it is polycarbonate w/hardcoat and is very resistant to scratches within reason. Other taller/wider shields are cheaper and many like the more laid back design of the Tulsa tall.
3. Baker Upper and Lower air wings.
4. Some say the Kury rear air foil works. Did not work for my 5'8" wife and in our opinion looks terrible on the bike(dark smoke, maybe a clear one would not stick out like a sore thumb).
That's about it.
Hand Wings:
Air Winngs:
F4 Windshields: ... ode=GL1800
Kury rear air foil: ... _In_Stock/

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:06 pm

I put a Slipstreamer wraparound windshield on my 1100 for exactly this reason. It's about two inches taller, and quite a bit wider. I already had Baker Wings on the fairing. It further reduced the amount of wind that hits me (great during cold weather, not so great when it's hot), but it made a significant difference for my wife, who no longer complains of being buffeted and beat up by the wind. The windshield is tall enough that I now have to look through it (the OEM windshield I looked over the top), however, I'm tall enough (6'0") that I can look over the top of the Slipstreamer if I sit bolt upright in the seat - so I can see if the windshield is obscured. That said, I clean it pretty religiously with Pledge, so even when I do hit rain, it beads and runs off pretty quickly, so I have no vision problems.

In any case, my wife says that windshield is the best addition I have made to the bike.

Motorcycle: 2007 GoldWing

Postby IBAARK » Sat May 01, 2010 11:12 am

I'm looking for comments about the Windbender.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”