Confused with oil level

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Honda-Dude
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda Goldwing Level 2 with Road Smith trike conversion.

Confused with oil level

Postby Honda-Dude » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:12 am

Hi everyone, new to the board and riding a Goldwing. I have been reading the owner's manual to my 12' wing and looking at different forums on how people are checking the oil level. Here is my problem. At 800 miles I had my dealer to do the first oil change. I wanted them to do it so it would be on officially on the record. The next day I went out into the garage and started it up and ran the engine for 5 mins, then shut it off and waited for 3 mins. to check the oil. When I checked the level I did not see any on the dip stick at all. I did the procedure again on how to check the oil level and came up the same results. So I took the wing out and rode around the neighborhood some came back to garage shut it off and checked the oil level again after 3 mins and it now shows the level on the upper mark where it suppose to be. What am I doing wrong? I forgot to mentioned the bike is now a trike. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Russ

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Re: Confused with oil level

Postby flash2002 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Did you maybe not screw it in the first time and screwed it in the second time: it should be unscrewed to check oil. If it doesnt show when unscrewed, then it's low. Make shure the bike is level.

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 am

Honda-Dude

If you want to make sure your oil level the next time change the oil yourself.

It's not complicated.

FlyBoy2121

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:22 am

One of the bigger issues with trikes is the oil level. A lot of owners overfill their trikes with oil. If you have a rake kit and stock springs the trikes have a tendency to lean forward giving a false oil reading. Until I put aftermarket springs in mine to bring the front end up to normal height mine always read low. If you changed it and put 4 quarts in I wouldnt worry about it.

Honda-Dude

Postby Honda-Dude » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks guys, I am planning on doing all of my oil changes in the future and save $100. I will dump 4 qts in and forget about it. The nose on my Roadsmith is pointing down some. Eventually I will go with some better after market springs and I do think that is throwing off my oil level. All this is new to me now. Never had a trike before let alone a Goldwing so I am in new territory. The wife and I are definitely enjoying this new ride. 2800 miles in less than 3 months. Not bad. Thanks to all. Have a great day and ride safe. Russ

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:05 pm

I thought the first change was @ 4,000 miles?
Anyway, do your own oil changes, keeping the sales receipts, should you ever be asked for them.
Drain oil, remove filer, install new filter, replace drain plug, pour in 4 quarts(your choice as long as it meets requirements)and you're done.

Honda-Dude

Postby Honda-Dude » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:59 pm

My dealer told me it was 600 miles and then do oil change. I waited to 800 plus miles and did it. I now will go by what Honda recomends and that is change after every 8000 miles. I don't know if I will put that many on right now. Maybe sometime in the future with long distance road trips. Right now its all local and state wide riding. Nh has many back roads and I want to ride on them at least once in my life time.

Ghostman

Postby Ghostman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:31 pm

Back in 07 I was told due to the transmission issues with the 1800 engine a lot of the dealers were doing oil changes around the 700 mile mark. Considering the extra load because of the trike conversion on the transmission I would consider this a necessary maintenance. And for the few extra dollars for the peace of mind..

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 am

Dealers "scare" customers into wasting a lot of money and oil by insisting on "early" oil changes.
I ran away as fast s possible from 2 local "stealer's" that claimed these infant changes would be needed!
Also, not sure where your info came from that a trike conversions adds extra "load" on the tyranny or there are transmission "problems" on the Wing.
The extra load is weight of the unit, not stress on the gears as long as one rides using good sense! Treat it "rough" and 2 wheeled or 3 wheeled, one can cause failures!
There have been a few tranny failures noted but not enough to call "foul" on the Wing tranny.
Just an opinion, we each do as we feel we should.

Ghostman

Postby Ghostman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:09 am

Ghostshifting and trans issues on the wing are a known issue. Some felt due to manufacturing that changing the oil at 700-800 miles would cleanse the engine out and possibly not cause issues in the future.If the owner feels comfortable changing the oil early thats his perogative. To each his own.

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:34 am

I Guys

I change my oil in my GoldWing 6000 km, and I have a pan plug with a magnet, and my oil filter I have a magnetic Filtro on, and every oil change I made, there have a little metal dust on the magnet, I have more 50,000 km all okay.

FlyBoy2121 :mrgreen:
Attachments

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”