Fork tube pitting after upgrade?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
ediehl
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Fork tube pitting after upgrade?

Postby ediehl » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:08 pm

I had the nervous-nelly front-end feel, and after counseling and browsing this and other forums I decide to replace the steering head ball bearings with tapered rollers (All Balls), and while I was at it I thought I'd upgrade the front suspension with the Progressive Monotube assembly (I had previously installed a Super Brace fork brace).

Whew! That was a lot of work, but I was quite pleased with the results. But now, probably 1000+ miles later, I inspected the fork seals (spurred on by a blown seal on another bike).

What! There is a bit of an oil film towards the top of the left inner fork tube, but more distressing is the occurrence of a fair bit of pitting on the surface of the inner tube, up to an inch and a half or so from the dust seal. I can't believe that I would not have noticed that when I did the front end work.

Damn! I guess I'm going to have to tear the whole thing down again. Has anyone had any similar experience, under the same or similar circumstances? I haven't yet figured out what would cause such a rapid onset of pitting. I suppose I'll also need to replace the fork tube. Have I starting cursing yet?

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Re: Fork tube pitting after upgrade?

Postby flash2002 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:13 pm

If the leak is on the left side there is a good chance it is due to the anti-dive, it blows seals, most people cancel the anti-dive. There is a good chance the pitting on the tube is stones from the road. Just try to sand them with emery cloth so there is nothing to catch the seal.

ediehl
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: Fork tube pitting after upgrade?

Postby ediehl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:16 pm

The pitting is too serious to smoothed out, and because there's a lot of it in small spots front and rear, I don't think it's from road debris. Am engineer friend who's been riding and wrenching Wings for maybe 2 decades wonders if it might have to do with the SuperBrace, thinking that preventing flexing might be causing it to come into contact with the backup spacer.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”