Fork tube pitting after upgrade?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
ediehl
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Fork tube pitting after upgrade?

Post by ediehl » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:08 pm

I had the nervous-nelly front-end feel, and after counseling and browsing this and other forums I decide to replace the steering head ball bearings with tapered rollers (All Balls), and while I was at it I thought I'd upgrade the front suspension with the Progressive Monotube assembly (I had previously installed a Super Brace fork brace).

Whew! That was a lot of work, but I was quite pleased with the results. But now, probably 1000+ miles later, I inspected the fork seals (spurred on by a blown seal on another bike).

What! There is a bit of an oil film towards the top of the left inner fork tube, but more distressing is the occurrence of a fair bit of pitting on the surface of the inner tube, up to an inch and a half or so from the dust seal. I can't believe that I would not have noticed that when I did the front end work.

Damn! I guess I'm going to have to tear the whole thing down again. Has anyone had any similar experience, under the same or similar circumstances? I haven't yet figured out what would cause such a rapid onset of pitting. I suppose I'll also need to replace the fork tube. Have I starting cursing yet?

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Re: Fork tube pitting after upgrade?

Post by flash2002 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:13 pm

If the leak is on the left side there is a good chance it is due to the anti-dive, it blows seals, most people cancel the anti-dive. There is a good chance the pitting on the tube is stones from the road. Just try to sand them with emery cloth so there is nothing to catch the seal.

ediehl
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: Fork tube pitting after upgrade?

Post by ediehl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:16 pm

The pitting is too serious to smoothed out, and because there's a lot of it in small spots front and rear, I don't think it's from road debris. Am engineer friend who's been riding and wrenching Wings for maybe 2 decades wonders if it might have to do with the SuperBrace, thinking that preventing flexing might be causing it to come into contact with the backup spacer.