Digital Music Player

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Ridin Thunder
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Digital Music Player

Postby Ridin Thunder » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:36 pm

Alright guys and gals, here is the deal. Last year I bought an 03 with plenty of Christmas lights and not much of a stereo. The lights still work, I have a new seat ordered and now I want to upgrade the music on the bike. I've read and read and I'm still undecided or confused. However you would like to put it. What I need to know from you is what works and what doesn't. 123, abc, your opinon please. I would like to add my extensive collection of "Rock N Roll" from the last 45 years. So what I need to know (from you) is what works and what doesn't. It's simple, abc 123. Your opinion please.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Digital Music Player

Postby themainviking » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:39 am

Both J&M and BikeMP3 have units that plug in where the CD player would, and control from the handlebars, and both appear to work well. I have the J&M and I am happy with it. No CDs to fool around with and I can put about 600 tunes on an SD camera card, which plugs into the unit. I have a bud who has the BikeMP3 unit and he is as pleased with his as I am with mine. The choice be with you.

Viking

P.S.: If you do not have a slot in your computer to load up or transfer from SD cards, you would also need a USB to SD card thumb drive. Also need to make all your records or CDs into MP3 files. (192 Kbps or higher for best quality - I use 256 to 320)
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Get the MP3 player featured on WingStuff.com...I got one, it works seamlessly with your handlebar controls. It allows 10 folders with 99 songs in each. Plenty for riding. It sticks inside my trunk and uses an 8GB SD card which are cheap. You can actually put eve more songs on it...here's how: Simply take an entire album and load it as a single song! Obviously when playing it back you can't skip to the next song, you have to listen to it in the order it was setup. Now you have plenty of road tunes and I used the space in my trunk where the 6 CD player was for my tool kit and other stuff.
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:05 pm

I have a bike mp3 think it was 109 bucks. I have nine folders ( CD's ) all with about 100 songs in each. In a riding season It play's each folder ( CD ) once I never hear the same thing or repetes. It took me hours to load it like I wanted but I took about 900 songs loaded all of them by albums in my desk top then put the first song of every album in folder ( CD ) 1 then song two on every album to folder ( CD ) 2 and so on. this way I have a different artist and song everytime. the last folder (CD) i loaded with everything I couldn't fit in others pot luck there. SALLY :lol:

BrianD
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with CSC Cobra XL kit.

Postby BrianD » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Go with the BikeMP3.
I had one of the others that my son bought me for a present, but it would not work. Tried all the fixes and tips but it just was not happening - not happy.
Then I got the BikeMp3, loaded it up, plugged it in, turned it on - been happy ever since.
In 3 weeks away riding every day, we never heard all of the songs.
Dark Triker Downunder

Ridin Thunder

Postby Ridin Thunder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:47 am

Decided to go with the Bikemp3. Undecided if that was a good choice or not.

Right now all the unit will do is bounce back and forth between CD5 track 14 and CD8 track 99.

Which I find kind of odd since I only have CD1 loaded with about 10 songs.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:15 am

Ridin Thunder wrote:Decided to go with the Bikemp3. Undecided if that was a good choice or not.

Right now all the unit will do is bounce back and forth between CD5 track 14 and CD8 track 99.

Which I find kind of odd since I only have CD1 loaded with about 10 songs.

Perhaps that is the problem. Load at least one song in every album that the card can play, according to MP3s instructions, and one or more in the root. Then see how it works.

ie: My unit with my year bike (Canadian Version) will use five folders and the root, for a total of six "CD"s, up to 99 songs per CD. If I do not place a song in the root, it does not play right.

ImageImage

Ridin Thunder

Postby Ridin Thunder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:02 pm

Tried reformatting the USB stick with no positive results.

Tried loading one song in CD1 thru CD9 with no positive results.

Tried loading one song in the root with lots of negative results. System locked up where nothing would work. Had to disconnect the battery to get it working again.

Not sure of what to try now.

Maybe a different type of stick? The one I have if formatted fat32 and works fine on anything else, can't really see that it would make a difference.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ride Safe

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:19 pm

All that done, my next and last suggestion would be to call MP3 and talk to them.

ImageImage

BrianD

Postby BrianD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:41 am

This from Bike MP3 instructions. You may have tried these already but don't know what else could be problem

PREPARING MEDIA
BOTH SD AND USB MEDIA MUST BE FORMATTED TO FAT 32 SINGLE PARTITION, SOME USB DRIVES COME FROM THE FACTORY WITH A “BOOTABLE” PARTITION THIS MUST BE DELETED PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT CAME WITH YOUR DRIVE TO DO THIS. CERTAIN USB DEVICES ARE SUPPLIED FROM THE FACTORY WITH A MENU SYSTEM THIS MUST BE REMOVED PRIOR TO FORMATTING PLEASE REFER TO THE MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS. ALL MUSIC MUST GO INTO FOLDERS. NO FILES OTHER THAN MP3 OR WMA SHOULD BE ON THE MEMORY DEVICE.
Songs must be transferred to your SD card or USB drive using Windows Explorer, Do Not Use Windows Media Player or iTunes. The units are capable of playing music in MP3 or WMA formats. Prepare your media as follows depending on the model of your motorcycle, folders must be called CD1, CD2 etc, this must be in upper case with no gaps any other format can cause display issues. Tracks may be named in any format although the player will index in the order copied to the card
NO MUSIC IN THE ROOT OF THE CARD/STICK OR FOLDERS IN FOLDERS.
Dark Triker Downunder

Ridin Thunder

Postby Ridin Thunder » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:42 am

Got the unit working correctly once I started using the software. Guess it didn't like something somewhere with my explorer.

Thanks,

Ride Safe

Ridin Thunder

Postby Ridin Thunder » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:37 pm

I noticed while running the software that came with the Bikemp3 that there is a 16 disc version. Can someone tell me about the 16 disc option? How do you get it etc, etc?

Ridin Thunder

Postby Ridin Thunder » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 pm

I found out from Wingstuff that the 16 disc option isn't available on the Goldwings.

Oh well,

Ride Safe!

hcruiser58
Motorcycle: honda GOLDWING ORANGE
US MODEL 2003 sold it
and have now a candyred 0f 2008

Postby hcruiser58 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:49 pm

mine is playing till cd 20,you have to name it like CD 01,CD 02 till CD 20,and put mp3 music in it,each cd must have 89 songs no more otherwise it will not be reconized.
have funn you people
goldcruiser

Joe_Lukeman
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800

Postby Joe_Lukeman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:26 pm

EBay has this device for $70 to $80 with shipping. I have had one for over a year and it works great. It can hold 99 songs per cd name. I never figured out how to change from cd 1 to cd 2 etc without clicking through each song ......

BrianD

Postby BrianD » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:30 am

Joe_Lukeman wrote: I never figured out how to change from cd 1 to cd 2 etc without clicking through each song ......

You just need to hold the track change button longer until it changes to CD2 - think its about 3 seconds. It operates exactly the same as the CD player did.

Dark Triker Downunder

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”