Rear left speaker not playing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Gazoo63
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800A09

Rear left speaker not playing

Postby Gazoo63 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Good afternoon to all,

I have a 2009 wing with Nav sytem and airbag. The rear left speker does not work. I plugged the left speker in the right speker prongs and it works fine. I verified the wires from the speaker to where it comes out in the trunk and there is no breakage. Has anyone experience this problem? If so, could you help me fix it please. A wiring diagram of the rear spekers would help and pics would be great.

Thanks!!!
Gazoo63

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Re: Rear left speaker not playing

Postby Steve F » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:22 am

How were you able to determine that there was no breakage? It may require a continuity check of the wire itself to determine if the wire is ok or not. The wire may LOOK fine but is broken on the inside, usually at the hinge point in the trunk where the wire is constantly being flexed and eventually breaks. Try probing through the insulation with your meter on both sides of the flex point to see if you get continuity. If not, you probably have a break there.

Steve F
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

Gazoo63

Postby Gazoo63 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Thanks Streve,

I did probe from the speaker to after the bend and it showed continuity. I also uncovered the wires past the bend and connected to the speaker without success. It appears to come from further. What I would like to do is go from either the trunk or the radio and work my way to the other end.

Thanks!!!

JG

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:51 am

Gazoo63 wrote:I plugged the left speker in the right speker prongs and it works fine.

At all costs, I would avoid tearing into the wiring bundles. What I would do is run two new wires from the stereo to the left speaker, and if that fixed it, then I would just snip off the ends of the old wires and leave the bundles intact. If two new wires don't fix it, it is probably in the stereo, in which case Sierra Electronics would be the guys to talk to.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Gazoo63

Postby Gazoo63 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Thank you very much to both of you!!!

I found the problem just before the connector under the seat and was able to repair it!!!
:D
JG

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Gazoo63 wrote:I found the problem just before the connector under the seat and was able to repair it!!!

Good Work... Happy to hear it. If I have problems with mine, I will know who to come to, :lol: You are just down the road from my house.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”