Stereo Question

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
bonobo
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800

Stereo Question

Postby bonobo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Could anyone explain AVC or automatic volume control to me. I thought it was supposed to change the volume by increasing or decreasing it depending on riding conditions. In other words as you increased speed and there was more motor and wind noise the volume of the bikes stereo should increase. And when you slow down so there is less external noise the stereo volume should decrease. Years ago I used to own a Yamaha Venture Royale that had a similar feature and it was awesome. Once it was set I hardly ever had to touch the volume. Whether I was riding at 70 mph in a cross wind or pulling up next to a buddy to say something to him at a stop sign. The bike always kept the volume at the right level. No matter what settings I use on my '08 wing I cannot see any difference. I have to constantly change the volume manually. Is there a secret that I need to know or is this one more thing on my bike that doesn't work right? Thanks.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Stereo Question

Postby themainviking » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:42 am

The AVC only works on speaker volume. If you are listening on headphones, it does not change. Secondly, you need to go into the settings in the stereo and ensure that it is turned on. Mine works great. If you have done all this, and it is speakers you are listening with, then I have no more information, as I am not an electronics guy. Hope this helped.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

bonobo

Postby bonobo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:52 am

Thanks but been there done all that and still don't see any difference. What setting do you use/recommend that would show the greatest difference so it would be obvious if it was working or not?

mwest479
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby mwest479 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Hate to tell you but the Honda audio system has never been as good as the old Yamaha Venture. Not even close.

bonobo

Postby bonobo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 pm

As much to my dismay I have since realized. It would appear that I now have the AVC sorted out by keeping the setting on high but I have now discovered that the volume is not the same between the right side and the left with the left side being much quieter than the right. No doubt this was also contributing to the AVC appearing to not work properly. I will keep plugging away at it but very soon I will have to put it in storage for 5 or 6 months. (Winter in Canada sucks) So it will be next year before I can hopefully get it resolved.

bill jamison
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800 Hannigan Trike

Postby bill jamison » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:08 pm

You might check the speaker balance.

bonobo

Postby bonobo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks but that was the first thing I did. The trouble is there is no left-right balance (at least none that I could find) there is only a front-rear fader control.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:30 pm

I have an 02 GW wit hthe original radio and there are two AVC settings. One is for speakers and has 3 levels Low, Medium and High; then if you are on headset mode and access AVC you get only Low and High settings. Either way the difference seems minor to me. I notice is more in town than anywhere else and even moreso for the speakers as my UClear headset has a built in auto adjust for volume and conteracts what the bike's radio does for me; if I slow quickly the headset volume drops then the UClear boosts it again. As for Left/Right Balance there is none, only Front Rear Fade. If balance is off you might check that the connections completely plugged in and clean; some recordings I have have significant channel separation and weren't balanced very well and it can get annoying at times. It was distracting on mine when the audio input was not solidly connected.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”