Gold Wing tires

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Terry McGuirk
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Deluxe (Airbag, Nav)

Re: Gold Wing tires

Post by Terry McGuirk » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:21 am

Hi all
I keep reading with interest about the longevity so many fellow Wing riders are getting from various brands of tires.
I have had my 08 with airbag and nav for nearly 3yrs and would never go to anything else but here i was thinking 10k km was ok but when i keep reading of 12k MILES I have to think what am I doing wrong?????
I have run Dunlops and Bridgestones and due to a recent delam at 5k km, now run an Avon Cobra on the rear (only 500km so far).
I run good pressures as posted by other Wing riders.
Also I ride like a nanna as my tire shredding days are well and truly over.
Can someone give me a little direction please.
Cheers from Down-under

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 (Sold)
2000 Gl1500 Se (Sold)
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Post by peppilepew » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:31 am

When you figure it out, please let all of us know. Tires are the most controversial subject to be debated. At 20K and on my second set. Vibration has returned and I am expecting the instability on long sweeping ramps to occur soon. Going back to stones. Dunlops don't handle as well as the original equipment. It may be darkside time. I have an extra wheel for the rear.

Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Post by Flyn Tiger » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Terry, Read my post about the Hancook H426 car tire. I now have 17,000 miles on it and 16,000 on my Dunlop E3. I ride alot of twisties and straight line so my tires get worn all around. This Hancook was the first ct I have ever had and I did alot of playing with pressures. Think I left it too high for a time and got some extra wear in the center. Still @ 17,000 miles it has some wear left but I would not take off on a 2 or 3,000 mile trip on it. Front still has some wear left @ 16,000 but again would not leave to go on a long trip. This time I will be adding a Battleax B45 to the front to see how that goes.

Like I said look at my post on the Hancook H426 and it will give you a good report on that tire.

Good luck,
Flyn Tiger.

Tootsieroll*Douglas
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by Tootsieroll*Douglas » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Howdy Terry (Doug from Texas). If I ever have to move from Texas, I'm headed to Australia!
My personal story on tires is simple. I have always used motorcycle tires. I drove a 1979 GL1000 for 16 years and usually got between 8,000-12,000 miles from various motorcycle brands, mostly Dunlops. I bought a 2003 GL1800 April 2014 and put on new Bridgestone tires, front and back. At 6,500 miles, the back tire tread was about 80 percent gone. Front tire still plenty of tread. I do ride two up about 1/3 of the time. I have been reading and researching Car tires for several years, even before I bought my GL1800. Since I have an extra back wheel for my bike, I decided to try a car tire on the rear. If I didn't like the way the bike handled, I would simply pull it off, put my Bridgestone back on and buy another MC tire and replace the Car tire. All the reading and research I read pushed me towards the Michilen Primacy Alpin (Snow/Ice) tire, 195/55/16. It is a zero pressure/run-flat tire also and has thick side-walls, much like a motorcycle tire. Tread life is listed as 40,000 miles (for autos) and I believe it gets this lower mileage rating because it is a very "grippy" tire designed for snow and ice. Many GL1800 riders who have tried this tire report that they notice little to no difference in handling. I have about1,000 miles on it right now and notice very little in handling differences with this tire. I expected my wife to report that the bike rides smoother (as I believe it does), however, she stated that the bike feels more "stable" to her. I ride very conservatively and cautious and have been riding over 40 years. I paid about $180.00 US dollars (on-line from Sears) for this tire and got it mounted by a local tire shop (using beads for balance). Mounting cost me another $10.00 plus a $5.00 tip. I have tried tire pressure between 30 and 40 PSI and it seems to prefer the lower numbers, 30-32 PSI. Also, many GL1800 riders who have tried this tire report that the tire is tight when trying to get it past the frame area and sure enough it was. I little water and soap, deflating the tire, and a little wiggling gets the slightly wider footprint past the frame and into the tire slot. I can't say that I won't return to a M/C tire until the Car tire wears out and get a good personal experience of it's life and handling. So far, handling it great and I do think a tad "Smoother" than the Bridgestone. I don't know that I would use a car tire for maximum performance motorcycle driving but for my driving style and technique, this tire works great. I have had the bike up to about 90MPH and the tire feels great. I am generally NOT an advocate for modying machines away from their original design specifications and parameters but If I get 18,000-20,000 miles from this tire, I will have saved at least $200.00 over the life of the rear tire. I have some riding buddies that have put the cheapest steel belted Car tires on their bikes (Note that the Micheling tire is a "high-end" car tire) and they haven't had any negative issues. Not advocating you try one but I surely have and am absolutely happy with it. YEEEEE-HAWWWW!!!! Good luck and great riding Mate!

glengleason
Motorcycle: 2012 1800 goldwing

Post by glengleason » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:22 pm

reading all these things about how many miles you can get on a motorcycle tire, i can't believe it. This week Nov 21 2015 i will replace front and back tires with 18,000 miles on them, could have waited awhile to replace front but decided to have both done. 2012 Goldwing with Bridgestone tires, replacing with same tire

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Post by Wingsconsin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:46 pm

When ever I read about people getting 18,000 miles out of a tire I remind myself there is a significant error in the speedo and odometer on the GL1800's I think it is around 6% which puts thee 18,000 miles on the tire at near 16-17 K actual -- which is still remarkable. I will be replacing my current set of Bridgestones in the spring at around 10-11K on the rear tire. Probably will change the front at the same time and toss out some usable miles -- but ..

I knew when I purchased the GL1800 that it is a tire eater... new rubber every year is the price I pay to ride it - and it is worth it.. :D
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

muddy 456
Motorcycle: 2013 f6b

Post by muddy 456 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:27 pm

I will be getting a 2013 f6b.I will be needing a new rear tire.What is the size and make for a car tire?

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:55 pm

I use the Yokohoma Avid Ascend non run flat in a 195/60/16. Great tire, 23,000 miles and still going strong. Speedo is 2mph off. Expecting 30k out of it at least. Battle B45 on the front. Same mileage.

muddy 456

Post by muddy 456 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:46 pm

ok Thanks shall I assume this will fit my f6b?

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:57 pm

I would say yes. This tire I use is only a fraction different than the stock wing mt. There is a site you can go to that when you punch in the sizes of both tires it will tell you the difference if any on the height, width and diameter.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Post by RoadRogue » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Heres a website showing darkside tires by make and model of bike.
http://darkside.nwff.info
Just click on the tire data base tab and scroll down to find what others have used on their bikes 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

Post by Paulcf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:12 pm

I don't have the time to read at least 8 pages of posts about this in over 4 years! So my only 2 comments are:

1. I installed Centramatic wheel balancers, oh so worth it. Longevity and smooth with, amazingly, better braking (shorter distances) vs. pre Centramatics.
2. Honda have a lot of smart engineers who designed the Goldwing. Motorcycle tires are designed for bikes and vice versa. Car tires are for cars, end of discussion.

If you can't afford the proper motorcycle tires for the Goldwing, then maybe you should sell the bike if you need to save a few dollars to put car tires on it. A wise man once told me if you can't afford the gas, you can't have the car (Dad).

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Post by RoadRogue » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:10 am

Paulcf wrote:I don't have the time to read at least 8 pages of posts about this in over 4 years! So my only 2 comments are:

1. I installed Centramatic wheel balancers, oh so worth it. Longevity and smooth with, amazingly, better braking (shorter distances) vs. pre Centramatics.
2. Honda have a lot of smart engineers who designed the Goldwing. Motorcycle tires are designed for bikes and vice versa. Car tires are for cars, end of discussion.

If you can't afford the proper motorcycle tires for the Goldwing, then maybe you should sell the bike if you need to save a few dollars to put car tires on it. A wise man once told me if you can't afford the gas, you can't have the car (Dad).
and if you always do as you always have, you will always get what what you already have. With thinking like this we wouldnt have motorcycles in the first place. If you cant be bothered to read what others have learned and are willing to share why would you waste your time with a post like this. It shows a very narrow view and a pre concieved notion of the subject.
You obviously havent heard a word anyone else has been saying on this subject. It is NOT about saving money, thats just a happy little bonus.
How about opening your mind to what is the reality of the situation, read and learn something new to you.
8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:04 am

RoadRogue wrote:
Paulcf wrote:I don't have the time to read at least 8 pages of posts about this in over 4 years! So my only 2 comments are:

and if you always do as you always have, you will always get what what you already have. With thinking like this we wouldnt have motorcycles in the first place. If you cant be bothered to read what others have learned and are willing to share why would you waste your time with a post like this. It shows a very narrow view and a pre concieved notion of the subject.
You obviously havent heard a word anyone else has been saying on this subject. It is NOT about saving money, thats just a happy little bonus.
How about opening your mind to what is the reality of the situation, read and learn something new to you.
8-)
At the Abbotsford bike show this year, had a short discussion with a fellow from Dunlop tires. Asked about the new E4 and how Dunlop states that these tires on an 1800 GW should get approximately 30K miles - 3 round trips across the USA. This fellow thought it was only 2 round trips but his co-worker corrected him - didn't know his product that well. When I told him I had a CT on my 1800 he went into the age old rhetoric of Chicken Little and the sky was falling scenario. I stopped taking to him and followed on with his co-worker. She told me that she had gone to the Wingding last year and talked to GW owners who used CTs and found that the majority want mileage out of their tires - everything else that comes with the CT is a bonus.

As with most of us, we try things and if we don't like it, we don't do it twice; however, where would we be if people did not push the envelope. It may also be the only way to get industry to step up and start meeting the needs of the people even if we are a small group in the big scheme of things, but considering the price we pay for parts and items we deserve a better response to our needs.

Still looking into a CT for my '85 LTD. Going to replace the tires this year with Michellin Commandeer II tires and give the distance a chance. In the mean time will get the parts and pieces necessary to install a CT ready.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Post by Wingsconsin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:41 am

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Still looking into a CT for my '85 LTD. Going to replace the tires this year with Michellin Commandeer II tires and give the distance a chance. In the mean time will get the parts and pieces necessary to install a CT ready.

Cheers
I run the Commmander II on my Suzuki GS850 and they are great in my opinion.
A BIAS ply tire that offers grip and longevity as well as running quietly (which is not an issue on my inline 4 ;) )

I tried a car tire for 30,000 miles - It was not for me.
I prefer a motorcycle tire and my next set will probably be E4's
After using up a set of Bridgestones, and a set of Avon Cobra I will continue to experiment even though both worked well enough for me
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

Post by Paulcf » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:27 pm

RoadRogue wrote:

8-)
I do not appreciate your totally unnecessary and insulting response on this website. You have not brought anything of value to this forum discussion except to attack me personally and tell me to open my mind, etc. Is that the camaraderie of Goldwing riders on this website? I sure hope not and will take this as hopefully an aberration.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:59 pm

Paulcf wrote:
RoadRogue wrote:

8-)
I do not appreciate your totally unnecessary and insulting response on this website. You have not brought anything of value to this forum discussion except to attack me personally and tell me to open my mind, etc. Is that the camaraderie of Goldwing riders on this website? I sure hope not and will take this as hopefully an aberration.
I think it is a bit of both ways. You stated your opinion, clearly biased towards "motorcycles should have motorcycle tires." However you then made the assumption that people running car tires do so to save money (not usually the case), and suggested, somewhat insultingly, that people running car tires shouldn't have Goldwings, because they obviously can't afford them.

RoadRogue replied in a similar vein that if you are not willing to allow the possibility that people could be utilizing car tires for their own good reason, and that it is an acceptable alternative, then you are being closed-minded.

Both are strongly worded, but neither (I think) is personally insulting. However, I think we should stay away from the "here's what I do, and if you think differently, you are an idiot because of xxx" type of reasoning - it does nothing to further the discussion, and causes hurt feelings in the way this has.

If you have an opinion, state it, perhaps with some evidence or experience to back it up, and perhaps consider the reasoning of others as well. You might find that your opinion changes over time. I know this has happened to me a number of times. A closed mind gathers no knowledge.

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:03 pm

I was skeptical at first wondering if I should even try a ct. I studied the Web sites for 3 months, talked to my insurance agent and LEO's from 3 different divisions and no reports could be told of a problem running a ct. Not the case with a mt. I feel as though I did my homework as everyone should and I personally feel very safe on mine. (Currently double dark and at 25,000 miles on this set, 43,000 on a ct alone.) If you do your homework and don't like it, keep your mt but please don't cut someone for liking the ct for what eversion the reasons are. If you ask for advice or my thoughts, that is what I will give you. My honest opinion from personal EXPERIENCE. I will not buy the tire for you or cut you for going either way. Unless the motorcycle industry comes up with a better tire than what they offer so I am not changing tires every few months, I am sticking to my ct because they have proven themselves to me.

muddy 456

Post by muddy 456 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:42 pm

As I see much debate about ct's.I needed a new tire before I picked up my bike so I did decide to use a ct.My thought is I am going to try this and see for myself as I can see arguments both ways. I thank all those for your Honest thoughts.I will post more as I try this tire out.

jamie f
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade, 1982 GS 850L,,wife's bike, 1981 GS1100E,sold,,Latest addition 1994 GL 1500 Aspencade.

Post by jamie f » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:48 pm

I just ordered a set of Dunlop E4's for my 94 1500; last year I ran the Avon Cobras and was pretty happy with them,except for the rear started cupping around 8000 miles into season,and I cant stand the noise on cornering. I could probably get another 5000 miles out of them, but I bought my Goldwings for quiet and smooth riding. As I haven't seen a lot of comments on the wearing or longetivity of these E4's,when I get a couple thousand miles on them, I'll post back. Happy riding everyone and stay alert and safe out there.

GRAPEAPE94
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by GRAPEAPE94 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:46 pm

Just this past Thursday I put a pair of E-4s on my ride. I had been using E-3s but my local shop convinced me the last time to run Bridgestones. I got about 1/2 the wear out of them than I was getting with the E-3s. I have been running beads in my tires for years and have not experienced the cupping or noise problems that others have talked about with the E-3s. I am an aggressive rider and watch my tire pressures closely.

muddy 456

Post by muddy 456 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:37 am

I picked up my bike Saturday, put about 200 miles on it to get used to it.I have a ct tire on and I could not notice any stand up,trouble with curves,or any problems at all.I will still be testing this,but at this point ct is very good.

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Welcome to the darkside Muddy 456.....

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:21 pm

"For what it's worth."

I searched and asked a lot of questions for 2 YEARS! before trying a CT on my Wing.
Dusty Boots was the most convincing, so I went for it. THANKS D.B.!

#1.) HAD TO BE SURE IT WAS SAFE.
__ No one and no one knew of someone who had an accident attributed to a CT on a bike.
__ After I went DarkSide I researched and found there's high 10's of millions of accident free CT's on bikes. :o
__ CT are a little wider and thus have a larger contact patch. THIS IS GOOD for more traction. I can attest to twice hitting "black ice" and that rear CT had more grip than the narrow MT. YES, I had something to do with it, I "GENTLY" rolled off that throttle. But i hit Black Ice on another bike with MT's, WHAM!!! I went down immediately. Inexperience? I can't deny, maybe.
__ There is a slight learning curve using a CT on a bike. The lean angle changes slightly and this changes the turning radius. In a short time you'll get used to it and never notice it.
__ (spoken as "Forged in Fire" show) "CT mounted on bikes,.. will work". :)

#2.) Cost.
__ Obviously the CT will last longer, that in itself will save a good chunk of moo-lah both tire and labor.
__ Overall maintenance is less. My first Austone gave me 80K miles. It would take almost 5 bike tires to match that.
__ At the 40K miles mark you SHOULD remove it to regrease the hubs splines.

#3.) Tires are tires are tires.
__ They're made out of the same materials, they're assembled a little different for SPECIAL NEEDS like rain, snow, off road, etc..
__ They ALL go flat for the same reasons and they are ALL repaired the same way.
__ They are ALL round but have different tread patterns for those special needs, as listed above.
__ Tho they're NOT all the same when it comes to road side profile. Most are flat tread and don't lend well on bikes. That's why there's few really good CT choices for bikes.
__ MT ridden mostly on SuperSlabs will wear down to a flat profile looking just like a CT and a CT ridden mostly on Twisties will wear down to look like bike tires. In all basics each will resemble the other in time so this DarkSide is ultimately a "Moot Point".

That's my $0.00002 worth.

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 pm

Food for thought...
IF no one ever tried something different, we would still be living in naturally made caves and throwing rocks at animals for food.
:geek:

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.