Gold Wing tires

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Wingrider44
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Re: Gold Wing tires

Post by Wingrider44 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:10 am

jmerklin wrote:I need a bit of advice. A year ago, I bought a tire to go darkside but then I hesitated. I still have the tire. At the time, this tire was recommended for going darkside and I'd like to know now before I go ahead and put it on, if this tire is still a good tire to go with.

The tire is a Yokohama Avid Envigor, 195/55 R16. I am planning to mount centramatics also. I'm also planning to go with Battleax on the front wheel - a BT 45H - in reverse. Why I should put that on in reverse is another thing I don't have an answer to so if you can advise on that, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I can't find anyone that will mount the tire. Any suggestions? Do I need to pull the tire off the bike to get someone to do it at a shop - if they will even do it with the tire off the bike? I've never pulled a tire off so I don't know if it will be complicated or not. I'm not handy with motor vehicles....

Thanks y'all!
Hi jmerklin, the tire you have is on Murgie's list of tires being used currently by Darksiders who've reported what they're using. Here's the link to his webpage http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt. My number is 1543 in the roster. The name there is rcdriver44 which is my GL800Riders board name.

You will very likely find resistance from dealers to remove your wheel and mount a car tire on the rim and then re-install your wheel. If that's the case and you know of no one who works on bikes as a hobby, it's best to just lay the bike on it's right side after you put down some protective padding. Then lift up on the side stand and move the center stand into the down position which will hold the bike with the rear wheel raised a little higher. Now it will be self explanatory how to remove the wheel. As you will see, your 2008 rear wheel mounts just like a car wheel. It may be easier if you break the lug nuts loose while the bike is upright on the center stand and have a helper apply the rear brake, before laying it down. Most tire shops will mount the tire for you especially if you don't give them too much information as to the use of the wheel. Or fib a little and say that it is for a trailer. Tell them not to balance the wheel and tire because the GL1800 rear wheel generally doesn't go onto their balancers. Instead use either Ride-On or ceramic beads to dynamically balance the wheel. I put 16 oz of RideOn in my 195 size tire. I like the Ride-On feature of tire sealant. Here's information on their website http://www.ride-on.com/

When you re-install the wheel, it may be necessary to deflate the tire. It makes it a little easier to wiggle the tire back in. Also, make sure that you torque the lug nuts to 80 ft.lbs. Remember, you don't want that sucker coming loose so be sure you use a torque wrench. Air the tire back up to about 40 psi for a non run flat. BTW, there are a number of videos posted on youtube.com to do this. Just search for "GL1800 Rear Wheel Removal".

Hopefully, this gave you the information you need to move forward. If you have any other questions, this is the place to ask. Also if you haven't already checked out http://www.GL1800Riders.com give it a look/see. A ton of information on dark siding is available there as well since a whole forum is dedicated to CTs. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Jaap Kroes
Amateur Radio Callsign: KR0ES
2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

BikerGuy
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Post by BikerGuy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:58 pm

Jaap, thanks a lot bud.... I appreciate all the info. The only thing I'm not in favor of is laying the bike on its side. I do have a motorcycle jack and I saw a couple videos how to use it, so that's what I'm going to do. I'll strap the bike to the jack, loosen up the lugs and then jack up the tire.... Hopefully, it won't be a problem.....

How much air pressure should I use? I've seen 32, 36 and 40 pounds..... I guess it depends on how it feels, maybe?

Safe riding!

Forgot to mention - I'm going to use Centramatics...... Also, for the front tire, I found what I think is a good deal on the Bridgestone BATTLAX BT-45H Sport/Touring Rear Motorcycle Tire 130/70-18. Just relaying this info for those who are looking. About $114 for the tire with free shipping included over at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/Bridgeston/?tag=goldwingdocs-20e-BATTL ... ingdocs-20

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:12 pm

You're very welcome, jmerklin. I don't have a motorcycle jack so I can't address that situation. I wish I had one though.
If your Yokohama tire is a run flat, you'll probably be looking at no more than 32. If it is the non run flat version then I'd say about 40 would be a good starting point. Good deal on the Centramatics. That too is something on my future wish list.

I just ordered a Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat and will be mounting that over the weekend. I decided that I want the additional safety of a Run Flat tire.

I will have a GL1800 Rear Wheel for sale onto which is mounted a Hankook H426 195/60/16. The tire only has about 1500 miles on it and has Ride-On tire sealant and balancer installed. I'll be asking $170.00 plus actual shipping cost.
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:55 pm

Man, I am sorry.....I just seen this post about the tire. It should be ok as long as it has not been out in the weather or been exposed to direct sunlight and heat. Could have caused it to dry out some.

I plan on using the B45 on the front next time. I was told to mount in the correct direction because the tread design is best that way in wicking away water on the road.

As for mounting, I have a good friend at the local Honda Shop who went dark and helped me mount my tires. Some places will not mount car tires on a motorcycle rim because of liability issues.

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:06 pm

Wingrider44, somehow I have missed some posts. You are selling your Hankook tire and rim? Why? What happened? I see your going to a run flat? Fill me in, whats up?

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:45 pm

Flyn Tiger, What happened was that I was sold on running a car tire with the Hankook tire. I really like the way the bike feels and handles with that tire. That said, I also decided that I wanted the additional safety afforded by a zero pressure tire. After much reading on another forum, the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat got really high marks for rideability, quality and safety. At times that tire is difficult to find so I found one and ordered it.
I had it mounted today rode about 70 miles just to get a feel for it. Personally I like the feel of this tire better than the Hankook even. I'm running it at 32 psi which seems to work for me. I will reserve pressure judgement after a few hundred more miles, but so far so good. I feel certain that I will NOT go back to an MT, period.
But boy was that Michelin ZP tough to get mounted. It took two of us working together with spoons because his tire machine is not one of the industrial strength ones. :D :D BTW, I used 3 oz of Dyna Beads for balancing.
So, yes, I am selling the rim and the mounted Hankook with Ride-On for $170.00 (plus actual shipping cost). It would make an easy way for someone to try the Dark Side without investing a lot of money. Just exchange complete wheels and see if the Dark Side is for you. If not, sell the wheel and rim. Actual miles on this tire is less than 1000 and when not out riding the bike was kept in the garage so very little UV exposure. It was brand new when I put it one about 1 month ago. I will take Paypal.
Jaap Kroes

BikerGuy

Post by BikerGuy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Wingrider, what size tire did you get and how much was it? I looked but could not find that Alpin in a 180/70/16...... Thanks!!

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:53 pm

What happened to my post?

Let me try this again. Wingrider44. I understand. I also had problems finding that tire. It was my second choice. I didnt get the runflat because I had read that it made the ride rougher and those tires seem to be more square and my thinking was a regular tire would give more on the edges which would put more tread on the ground in the turns. I also ran a 70 series mt on my bike which gave me more clearance in the turns and trued up my speedo. Best I could do was the 60 series that Hankook offered. Now my speedo is only 2 mph off. I guess since it was harder to mount that tire, the theory of it falling off the bike rim is blown out of the water. My 2 cents. Still say that if you hit a hole hard enough to knock off a ct, it probably would a mt also.

I'll be awaiting your posts as you ride more to see how you like it and how it wears. Good luck.

Tiger

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:12 pm

jmerklin wrote:Wingrider, what size tire did you get and how much was it? I looked but could not find that Alpin in a 180/70/16...... Thanks!!
I found the tire at Tirerack.com. It is a 195-55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP. It cost me $145 plus about $17 shipping. Ordered it on Wednesday and received at my door on Friday. Far as I know they stock them.
Jaap Kroes

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:47 pm

Flyn Tiger wrote:What happened to my post?

Let me try this again. Wingrider44. I understand. I also had problems finding that tire. It was my second choice. I didnt get the runflat because I had read that it made the ride rougher and those tires seem to be more square and my thinking was a regular tire would give more on the edges which would put more tread on the ground in the turns. I also ran a 70 series mt on my bike which gave me more clearance in the turns and trued up my speedo. Best I could do was the 60 series that Hankook offered. Now my speedo is only 2 mph off. I guess since it was harder to mount that tire, the theory of it falling off the bike rim is blown out of the water. My 2 cents. Still say that if you hit a hole hard enough to knock off a ct, it probably would a mt also.

I'll be awaiting your posts as you ride more to see how you like it and how it wears. Good luck.

Tiger
I haven't checked yet how far off my speedo went I'll have to wait a couple of days to find that out. It is raining here right now and I hope it keeps it up for a while. We really, really need the rain.
In checking clearance, I believe I have a little more clearance with the Michelin than I had with the Hankook. The Hankook rode well enough to convince me to spend the additional funds on the ZP tire. When you take an E3 and you check the construction of the tire, you'll notice that a two hundred pound guy can sit on that tire when it is standing up and it doesn't cave in nor compress very much. Try that with a non run flat tire and the tire will try real hard to collapse. On the run flat tire it feels like the E3, ie, it doesn't collapse or squat. So I figured that if you have a sudden loss of air pressure, the non run flat tire will disintegrate before you can get stopped. There is NO room for the tire to disintegrate which to me means that the chunks will collect between the fender well and between the swing arm. This means that the rear will lock up with complete loss of control. Obviously this is a worst case scenario. But the odds of that happening with a run flat or zero pressure tire are greatly reduced. And that is also why an MT is built is heavy as it is. That said, it doesn't mean that it couldn't happen with a run flat tire. Obviously, it could. But your odds of coming to a safe stop are much better with a run flat.
As far as the flatness across the tread of run flats, that is true for a number of models. The Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP is not one of those. It has a very nice profile and transitioning from side to side is effortless. I would suggest that this tire rides more like an MT than the Hankook does. So you get the best of both worlds, the rideability of an MT and the safety plus the durability of a CT. All at a much lower cost.
Yes, I will have more to report as a I ride this tire more. But the above is my report of what I have casually experimented with and thus observed. Nothing scientific, obviously. The feel of the tire is entirely subjective and is my opinion.
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:22 pm

Good report on what you have learned. I will eager to read futher reports as you ride more. When my wife gets off our main computer I will get you a website that gives you the differences in the measurements all around the tires along with the true speed readings then you will know what your true speed is. It was dead on in comparrison with my gps speed. Since I knew the 70 series tire gave me a true reading I used it as my base then compared it to a 55, 60 and 65 series tire. Ahhh, hold on she's done......

Go to http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... ireMath.do That will give you everything you will need to look at.

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:30 pm

For some reason the address is different than what I am typing and previewing. If you can't find it look at discount tire direct and look at tire size calculator.

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:35 pm

I get an error when I click on that link.
Jaap Kroes

BikerGuy

Post by BikerGuy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Wingrider. thanks for the info. I did a comparision of the normal size tire against the Alpin you got.....

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:33 pm

The standard size tire for the Wing is a 180/60R16. Not the 70 ratio. The speedometer of the GL1800 is notorious for being off by up to 8%. When I use the calculator for a 180/60/16 I get a diameter of 24.5 which is close enough for the E3 that size being listed as 24.39 on Dunlop's website specs. Comparing that against the 195/60/16 Michelin, the speedo difference is very little at 65 - 64.84. A difference I can certainly live with. I'm going to check the actual difference with a portable GPS the next time I ride. I'm curious and I don't want to guess. The Honda Navi doesn't show speed. Probably by design so Honda doesn't have to fix the inherent speedometer error. ;) ;) ;)
Jaap Kroes

BikerGuy

Post by BikerGuy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:54 pm

You're right. It is a 60, not a 70. Here's the specs.......

Wingrider44 wrote:The standard size tire for the Wing is a 180/60R16. Not the 70 ratio. The speedometer of the GL1800 is notorious for being off by up to 8%. When I use the calculator for a 180/60/16 I get a diameter of 24.5 which is close enough for the E3 that size being listed as 24.39 on Dunlop's website specs. Comparing that against the 195/60/16 Michelin, the speedo difference is very little at 65 - 64.84. A difference I can certainly live with. I'm going to check the actual difference with a portable GPS the next time I ride. I'm curious and I don't want to guess. The Honda Navi doesn't show speed. Probably by design so Honda doesn't have to fix the inherent speedometer error. ;) ;) ;)

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:05 pm

You are both correct, the wing does come with a 60 series tire standard but the last 3 or 4 rear mt's I had put on it I went up to a 70 series. That is what I found to true my speedo up. I also seen you got the 60 series tire which is what I have now. When I was looking all I could find was a 55 series.

Wingrider44 I don't know why but when I entered the website as it appears on my home computer, it shows up correct where I typed it but when I go to preview or submit the last part does not come up right. Anyway you found a site that gives the same info soooo......

Well guess that about wraps up this part except for time and miles on your new tire. I'll be watching for your updates as time goes by.

Keep safe guys,
Flyn Tiger

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:37 am

Here's a brief update on my use of the Michelin Alpin Run Flat tire. I just put 1400 miles on the Michelin this past weekend which includes about 250 miles of twisty riding and at least a 800 miles of wet roads including some have rains. The tire performed flawlessly. It felt sure footed on the wet roads and it inspired confidence on the curvy roads as well. The day of twisty riding was dry so I was able to ascertain my comfort level with the Michelin. Maybe the transitioning from side to side felt just slightly heavier than with an MT but let's face it, we're riding a 900 pound TOURER not a 400 pound sport bike. Expecting the flick ability of said sport bike in our tourer is expecting a little much. As a matter of fact, the maneuverability of the GL1800 is nothing short of amazing while it remains at the top of the Touring Bikes.
All that said, please note that I am NOT a hardware scraper in the twisties. I don't try to find that fine line between fun and disaster. But I do smile a lot when riding the twisties. :) :) :)
I expect to be running my Michelin Alpin for many (s)miles. To me the tire feels very similar to a MT. And it being a run flat does not make it ride harsh at all. It again rides very similar to a MT. For the way I ride, I have found my tire of choice.
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:32 pm

Wingrider, sounds like you made it to Arkansas. Love to hear what areas you rode and how you liked it. Send me a pm if you like.

Good report on your tire. Now I will be interested in the life of the tire compared to my non run flat. You have started off well with a 1400 mile ride. I currently have 4k on mine, longest day ride was last weekend of 402 miles and I have had zero issues so far. My big trip will be at the end of July which will be some 3500 plus miles. Keep us posted on the tires progress as it ages and I will do the same.

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Flyn Tiger, we stayed at Eureka Springs and were only able to ride in the area 1 day. We came down on Thursday riding in the rain for most of the day. But Friday promised to be beautiful in the area and we were treated to an absolutely perfect riding day. Saturday was predicted to be the same and Sunday was predicted to have a high probability of rain.

So on Friday, we rode south on highway 23 going through Huntsville and on to the Pigs Trail. We had lunch in Ozark. Then we worked our way back north via 16, 21 and 412 to hook back up to 23. Then onto 12/127 to head west. We stayed on 127 which is much more interesting then 12 but it hooks back up to 12. Went into Rogers and onto 62 back to Eureka Springs. The last 12 miles of the Rogers to Eureka highway 62 run is absolutely awesome. I was really blown away by how good the Michelin felt on these roads. It just felt so solid and inspired confidence.

That evening we got the forecast for our trip home on Sunday and we made the decision to go home on Saturday rather than risk the violent storms that were predicted all along our route back to Iowa. On Saturday we left Eureka Springs in the rain which we ran out of within 20 miles. However, there was a nasty weather system that we chased all day and would catch up to near Kirksville, MO. Luckily it had narrowed so when we went through it, the downpour didn't last long but it contained some light hail, lots of lightning and tons of water. I was wearing fingerless gloves so the hail really stings when it hits your hands. We would have pulled over had it gotten any worse. But we knew that it would last long.

All in all, we put on about 1250 miles in those three wonderful days even though a lot of it was wet. Too bad that the twisty riding was cut short by a day but in the Spring you can expect about anything. We'll probably do it again in the Fall.
Jaap Kroes

b8210t
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by b8210t » Thu May 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks to all who replied to my post. After much thought, have decided to stay with Dunlop Elite 3 and their new comppound. Ended up just about 13K on the other set of Dunlop Elite 3's so will continue with them. After talking with a former "darksider" and his switch back, just felt safer going with a motorcycle tire. Not saying darksiders are wrong, just felt right for me. Keep the shiny side up and thanks again to all.

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:42 am

b8210t wrote:Thanks to all who replied to my post. After much thought, have decided to stay with Dunlop Elite 3 and their new comppound. Ended up just about 13K on the other set of Dunlop Elite 3's so will continue with them. After talking with a former "darksider" and his switch back, just felt safer going with a motorcycle tire. Not saying darksiders are wrong, just felt right for me. Keep the shiny side up and thanks again to all.
Nothing wrong with your decision to stay with E3s. I've used them for years and never had a complaint. Plus, you're the one who has to be comfortable about what you're riding on. It's all good.

Keep the rubber down and enjoy the ride.
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri May 23, 2014 2:22 pm

B8210t, Hey nothing wrong with your decision. As stated it is all what you are comfortable with. I got 17k out of one set of E3's but my others were in the 14-15k range. Currently got about 5k on this ct and really loving it. I am one of few who has a ct on their bike but I now how many watching me ride and the performance of the tire. Some have said they will be going dark also when they need tires again. My big long distance trip up your way will be the last week of July when I travel to International Falls then over to Michigan and back down towards Ohio home. I'm betting the ct does just fine. Anyway hope you continue to have good luck with the E3's, keep that wing rubber side down.

Flyn Tiger

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri May 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Hey Wingrider44, Was supposed to go to NCentral, NW Arkansas today with two other couples but got braces a month ago and had 2 teeth pulled yesterday, so with me getting knocked out and all I figured it was not in our best interest if I made this trip. I was sure wanting to go try that tire out on some good twisties. Im sure I'll get to go again soon and maybe this fall with the same guys and their wives. Let me know when you are going....maybe we can meet up.

Tiger

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri May 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Hey Wingrider44, Was supposed to go to NCentral, NW Arkansas today with two other couples but got braces a month ago and had 2 teeth pulled yesterday, so with me getting knocked out and all I figured it was not in our best interest if I made this trip. I was sure wanting to go try that tire out on some good twisties. Im sure I'll get to go again soon and maybe this fall with the same guys and their wives. Let me know when you are going....maybe we can meet up.

Tiger