2001 Gold Wing Throttle Slugish.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
lhnks
Motorcycle: 2001 Honda Goldwing

2001 Gold Wing Throttle Slugish.

Postby lhnks » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:26 am

Hi everyone. I'm a new member. I have a 2001 Goldwing 1800. Lately I've been having problems with throttle response. Going thru the gears or even at speed, when I get on the throttle it will not respond right away. Sounds like the engine speeds up then sounds like it slows down. After that my speed will start to increase. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: 2001 Gold Wing Throttle Slugish.

Postby bustedwing » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:49 am

The way you are describing it, it sounds like the clutch is slipping. Is that it?
Proud member Patriot Guard

lhnks

Postby lhnks » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:39 pm

I am also a proud member of PGR in South Carolina. Thank you for what you do. To answer your question, doesn't seem like the clutch is slipping. Ok on take off but when going thru gears or even in 5th gear, when I give it more throttle the RPMs go up then come back down. it does the same thing when going up hill with cruise on. I have a hard time passing cars to.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:55 pm

Thank you for your service also, any person that is in the PGR is definitely a friend of mine. I am still trying to understand your problem, so the bike revs up while in gear but then looses rpm? So if you take off from a dead stop, first gear, the clutch fully engaged, the engine winds up gets to a certain point, then starts dropping rpm. Am I getting the right idea?

lhnks

Postby lhnks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:38 am

Guess it is hard to explain. Something you'd have to ride to hear what it is doing. We will be out of town for about a week. I'm going to take it in and have it looked at while we're gone. Thanks for trying to understand and help me. I'll let you know what they find out. On another note....we just had the honor with the PGR to be involved in the Lt Dan concert for severely wounded warriors. I had the honor of having a warrior with no legs riding on the back of our trike. He had a ball.

lhnks

Postby lhnks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:48 pm

The more I'm researching I'm finding you are right. The clutch is slipping and there is no adjustment that I can find. When I get back in town I'm going to order a new clutch. Thanks for your help. Ride safe.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:47 pm

I have heard of the Lt.Dan concert and congratulations on being involved. I have done several Honor Flights standing flag line, but so far nothing like that, would be fantastic to be able to give a wounded soldier a first time ride. Sorry to hear about your clutch, but the bad thing is they don't get better by themselves. Good luck.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”