seat position issue

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
doctorofpain
Motorcycle: 20060GL1800

seat position issue

Postby doctorofpain » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:33 am

Got my 06 a few weeks ago and have been riding daily here's the problem --- rode a Electra glide for the last 6 years and the seating was great, the wing is better in all areas except the seating position (for me anyway). I tend to slide forward putting pressure in my crotch area which get's very uncomfortable, the Harley seat slopped to the rear and you sat in a pocket the wing seat is much more flat so any good ideas??? New seat if so which one, have some foam taken out to create a dish effect--- need some help love the bike. By the way not using the backrest so that's not a issue and I install floor boards but it felt the same with the pegs.
Thanks
Doc

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Re: seat position issue

Postby artgrantz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Did you, or possibly the PO, use a leather/vinyl preservative or cleaner on the seat? Those products make the vinyl look clean and shiny but they also make it slippery and cause you to slide forward. Maybe the PO used it to enhance the look of the bike when selling it. If that's a possibility give it a little more time to wear off and see if that helps.

doctorofpain

Postby doctorofpain » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Actually the seat won't let you slide around on it like the smooth seat on the harley

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:52 pm

If you have your heart set on a new seat, I can highly recommend a Corbin - and if you buy a new one, they will customize it to your liking, as part of the build, no extra charge (they're built to order anyway).

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:04 pm

If you like a very hard seat, I agree with WingAdmin. A Corbin just might be the seat for you. Many many people love them to death. I hate em. I bought an Ultimate seat. They also come in a King version for the taller, bigger rider. And yes, if you can find a decent upholstery shop that does automotive upholstery, you can have foam removed and the seat more contoured for you. I had a friend who is leg length challenged have two inches taken out of his seat, and the seat contoured. I found it better, several others found it better, and he just loves it. Harley seems to have a knack for building seats, and I have found very few that were uncomfortable, but Honda still has this little item to conquer before they will be perfect. They are close now, but still need to get those seats down.

Several other companies make seats for the Goldwing bikes, which are all more comfortable for most people than the stock seats. Don't get me wrong - lots of Goldwing owners love the seats, but lots don't. Most of the other seat manufacturers have a lower cost seat than Ultimate or Corbin, who are the most pricey two on the market. Keep in mind that a brand new $300 seat is probably worth $300.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

doctorofpain

Postby doctorofpain » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:17 pm

I think it is a combo of seat position and seat design. The seat itself should ride all day but foot position and leg position put pressure in the wrong spot for me, read one fix on another forum that sounded reasonable, the fellow took about 2 inches from the built in back rest and then it was recovered. Moved him back 2 inches and put the legs out front more which put more support on the thighs instead of the butt. Don't know but looking and sitting on stock seat this may be the way to go?? Any thoughts?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:35 pm

It is one way to go with this, and probably the least expensive, so if it does not do what you want, you can still aim elsewhere. If you do end up looking for a new seat, might I suggest going to one of the larger motorcycle rallies, such as Wing Ding, or Americade or the like, where seat sales companies will have several or even many different seats that you can try. That would give you a better idea of which might be best for you. It is what I did at Wing Ding 33, two plus years ago. I ended up with an Ultimate seat. Ultimate Seats will allow you to test ride for thirty days, or they did when I was looking, as long as you use one of their stock seats for the test. They will not allow it if you get the heated version, or any other custom styling.

Keep in mind that you are limited in shaping your seat by the seat pan. As long as you are still conforming to the shape of that pan, you should have a useable seat.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

frostypop
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby frostypop » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:50 pm

i had a russell-day-long seat on the gl1500 i used to have, i had bought if off e-bay. it is customized to your height and weight, like i said ibought mine off e-bay so it wasnt made for me, but i found it pretty comfy. i also tried a corbin i didnt like it, and the wife hated it. i also tried the ultimate, i would say it is more comfy than stock but not enough for me to buy again, i plan on having my seat done by russell-day-long, but first i would like to try to get my heated seat and grips working, and if i cant i will let them put there own heat in the seat. 8-)

jfredman
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE

Postby jfredman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:44 pm

I just purchased a seat from Wing Soft. John, the owner, takes a stock seat and adds more padding to it. However, he also makes a Large version, which I purchased. This sits the driver 2" further back but the passenger only loses 1", which my wife never noticed. The extra padding is designed to sit you back in the pocket where you should be, as well as just having extra padding for comfort. The best part is the price. The large seat, with modified passenger backrest, and installing my Utpoia backrest was only a tad over $500. Now I have a much better seating position, more leg room, and more cushioning.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”