New noise under meter cover?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

New noise under meter cover?

Postby yechave » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:09 pm

I had the bike in for warranty to fix the seat and grip heaters not working. I have to assume in the process, the meter cover over the ignition was removed for testing, which houses the two heater controls. I would have talked to the tech that did the work, but he has since left.

My question to anyone that has taken that cover off, what might be in there to cause a metallic rattle, like a small washer vibrating? The noise starts as soon as the bike moves and is there all the time. I am certain it was not there prior to the repair.

I don't have one noise anywhere on the bike, and this is annoying now.

I don't want to touch anything just yet as the warranty expired at the time of repair and I may want another shop to try and solve the problem.

Thanks in advance!

yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Re: New noise under meter cover?

Postby yechave » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:50 am

Are there metal spring clips inside the meter panel?

If so, a broken clip would make the kind of noise I am hearing.

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:19 am

The switch housing is screwed to the back of the panel and except for the switch wheels there arent really any parts that could rattle. I would remove the dash to see if you lost a grommet or 2 and see if anything is rattling against the dash.

onelostsock
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800HPNA

Postby onelostsock » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:46 pm

I know this may be too late to be of any help,but I too had a rattle under the meter panel towards the windshield. It turned out to be the gps antenna bouncing around under the dash. I was able to stuff my hand up under there from the front after taking the fairing piece off above the headlights and below the windshield and putting some "stuffing" up there. It has been about 3 yrs. since this fix and have had no other noise from that area. Hope that helps,if not too late!!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”