Lost Pedal Pressure on CSC Trike Brakes

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Donny
Motorcycle: 2001 GL 1800 Honda Goldwing Trike, 1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk

Lost Pedal Pressure on CSC Trike Brakes

Postby Donny » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:33 am

I lost my rear Break pedal pressure (unless I pump it several times) on my 01 1800 that has a California side Car Trike kit installed. The only leaks I found is on the Left front fork tube. Does a fork seal leak have anything to do with the ABS Breaking system losing pressure on this type of setup on this. Any info will be Greatly Appreciated.
Donny

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Re: Lost Pedal Pressure on CSC Trike Brakes

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:07 am

Fork seal has nothing to do with the brakes. There are multiple locations with junctions on the ABS equipped CSC modified 1800s. Have you lost any fluid, check your rear brake reservoir. If you have then you have a leak, if you haven't then something else is going on.

When is the last time you flushed the brake fluid on the bike. That is something that should be done every couple of years. Might be a good time to do it. There is a very specific procedure for bleeding/flushing the ABS brake system on an 1800 that needs to be expanded to take in the extra caliper found on the trike kit. Either get a manual or get the procedure before attempting it.

Donny

Postby Donny » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Sagebrush, Thanks for the Quick reply.
That's what I kind of figured, Fork seal happened to start leaking right before break pedal loss. I just got the Trike this year from a privet seller that sent receipts showing that the rear breaking system was just cleaned and bled by a CSC repair shop. And the break fluid level is normal. I never owned a Motorcycle that had ABS breaking and wanted to make sure before spending a lot of time and money on wrong parts. The Trike only had 22 K when I bought it and I only have 2,500 mi on it myself, been busy putting accessories and lights on it. I will have a manual and know the bleeding procedure before I open ANY break line
Thanks

93aspy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 ABS

Postby 93aspy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:44 pm

Just as a caveat, I worked on a buddies trike not too long ago and with his conversion, also CSC I think, the two front brakes were actually physically tied together... I'm not sure how trike converters handle ABS brake's but it might be worth a phone call to CSC to find out exactly what happens to the brakes on a conversion... Remember the conversion also includes 2 brakes on the 2 rear wheels now... I would'nt be at all surprised if this negates the stock ABS braking system... I don't know that for a fact, but like I said, it would not surprise me if it were true...

Les
4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

Darkside # 1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT-45
Honorary Wild Rhino 6/2014

Donny

Postby Donny » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks Les, I did get ahold of CSC and on their web site californiasidecar.com, they have a drop down under SUPPORT were anyone can print out the Break bleeding process, and also the complete side car repair manual. You just have to know what kit that you have and click on it. Mines the Cobra.
Thanks again. :)
Donny,,,

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”